Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Been wanting to clean these headlights up for a few years now and just finally got around to it. Autozone sells a kit that comes with an adapter bit that fits into your drill and comes with 6 abrasive pads with the rubbing agent built in. What one does is spray it with a mist of water and use the drill moving in an all-over fashion. I would usually post them directly here but I will simply link you to my photobucket because of the issue of the pictures being larger than some's screen.

http://s155.photobucket.com/albums/s308/durania717/

Also there is a picture of my seized a/c pulley bearing, have a look at that.

I used three pads per light and and I think that I might be able to get it a little clearer. I am finally getting the full effect of the Silverstars that I paid $40 for about 5 years ago. The only issue I had was the little tips on the headlights shredding the pads up. Oh well, it kept me from breaking my arms sanding them down.

I read several years ago about polishing dulled plastic head light covers using tooth paste and a wet paper towel. I did that on my Subie, and a Dodge mini van with good results. It doesn't matter what brand of tooth paste is used, though best to avoid the jell type tooth paste, as that type is not abrasive enough.

I have used 3M medium rubbing compound and lots of rubbing. After they are nice and smooth I apply some wax to slow the oxidation process. I have yet to try the cleaning kit. It sounds much easier.

Indeed, it was.

I anticipated the day to be spent going back and forth with a piece of sandpaper as I had asked Josh(Legacy777) for advice about grit. I removed them so I could cover every possible angle. The kit is like 10 bucks and is worth every bit of it; all one needs is a good power drill. If headlights are removed, it's best to have a friend hold the headlights while going over them with the drill to keep them from moving all over the place.

Glad you guys liked it.

Kyle

• 2 months later...

I cleaned my NASTY yellow lights on my Lego today. I used my trusty MicroMark polishing kit. It starts with 3200 grit, and finishes with 12,000 grit. I finished up with Future Floor Wax for that "show car shine". We'll see how well it holds up. Worst case, I'll have to wash it off with ammonia.

Picture007.jpg