Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 96 OBS with auto and 180k has a very "hard" shift from 1st to 2nd gear. It's so "hard" that I usually try to let off on the gas a little just before it's going to shift so the shift will be a little more gentle.

When it shifts from 1st to 2nd gear it feels like the shift is too "hard". I don't know how else to descibe it. It's very solid ...like... wham or bang. All other shifts between gears are fine.

There's no "gentle cushion" like the shifts between other gears.

Is this normal for a high mileage auto tranny? Are there tranny additives that are recommended to make the shifts more "gentle"?

thanks!

Is this normal for a high mileage auto tranny?

No, I own several high mielage 4EATs none do this.

It sounds like a line pressure problem in the tranny.

There is a solenoid that controls this.

Older 4EATs had a resistor by the pass side strut

tower, if disconnected what you describe would occure.

I don't have a wring diagram for your TCU, sorry.

The "temp" light doesn't flash when you start it, does it?

Are there tranny additives that are recommended to make the shifts more "gentle"?

Subaru used to sell a tranny fluid conditioner for 4EATs.

My recco'd first step would be to have a complete

tranny fluid change done at a shop with a BG flush

machine such as this.

01021001030901040420080122d18cab054c44c9ca3000674f.jpg

is this the case only when cold or does it shift better after warmed up? Well, you are experiencing the 4eat at its finest. It's very robust and believe it or not, there is actually less wear on the clutch plate this way than a smooth shift experience. if you aren't throwing CEL codes (excessive shift shock) then you might look at your AT flush interval (~2 years) depending on your driving. Also, I actually believe that applying a constant foot on the gas may be less confusing for the TCU and after time the 1-2 shift may smooth out some. bottom line, I don't think you're experiencing anything unusual from what you've said.

Edit: the shift resistor is the long aluminum thingy mounted anterior on the passenger strut tower (below all the other stuff). it has one connector to it.

I just bought the car about 100 miles ago so I don't know much about it's mantainence history. I should probably have the tranny fluid flushed and changed. It looks fairly red on the dipstick but who knows how long it's been in there.

I'll check that resistor.

The AT oil temp light comes on with the ignition but goes off when it starts. It does not flash.

The hard shift happens all the time... even when warmed up.

Maybe the shift from 1st to 2nd is supposed to be this solid but the other shifts are so nice and smooth... this just feels slightly wrong.

Thanks for the advice.

Unless you can confirm recent maintenance you should gradually replace all fluids; Tranny, rear diff and front fluids, power steering (AT), radiator, etc.

Yes, fresh A/T fluid is red but shouldn't be too noticable on dip stick-a flush in probably in order for peace of mind sake.

I doubt the resistor is unplugged or an issue. some have unplugged it to give harder and firmer shifting (in all gears). I did it and got a CEL so I plugged it back in.

reset the ECU (disconnect the neg. battery terminal and step on the brake to drain capacitors and give it 10-15 minutes). I believe this will also reset the TCU.

1) check level

2) ecu reset

3) get flush

4) see #3

Also, starting out from a stop just try to drive the car normally applying consistent throttle to allow the TCU to re-map shift points.

Also, something I have recently found. check the PCV valve or better yet just replace it. my shifting was noticably improved-don't know exactly why though.

I just bought the car about 100 miles ago so I don't know much about it's mantainence history. I should probably have the tranny fluid flushed and changed. It looks fairly red on the dipstick but who knows how long it's been in there.

I'll check that resistor.

The AT oil temp light comes on with the ignition but goes off when it starts. It does not flash.

The hard shift happens all the time... even when warmed up.

Maybe the shift from 1st to 2nd is supposed to be this solid but the other shifts are so nice and smooth... this just feels slightly wrong.

Thanks for the advice.

I just bought the car about 100 miles ago

ok, subaru auto trans do shift harder 1-2 than the other shifts or other autos i've driven. so unless it is really bad, it's normal. since you are a new owner, and i suspect a first time subie owner, you are describing the normal subaru hard 1-2 shift.

that doesn't mean that you and your car will not benefit from trans fluid change or other preventative service.

how bad is the shifting from 1 - 2?? does it make any noises? does it high rev during the shift? does it run alright all the rest of the time?

as long as it is working ok, drive it for a while and get used to the new sounds, and the feel of your new subie.

oh, and welcome to the party!!!!

Also a new ground from the tranny to the battery may help.

Blu has always had a hard 1-2 shift under most cricumstances, and he's got 220,000 miles on him, so i consider it normal.

A too soft shift is very bad. SUbarus have a little bit of an odd shift feeling to them, it takes a little getting used to.

nipper

how bad is the shifting from 1 - 2?? does it make any noises? does it high rev during the shift? does it run alright all the rest of the time?

The shift from 1-2 is not super bad but it's noticably "harder" than all other upshifts. No high revs and no noises during any of the shifts and it runs fine. I'll check that resistor. If it's good, I'll assume this is how it's supposed to shift.

Another question... My car came with a little cubby hole box instead of an ashtray. It also came with an accesory outlet with a hinged cover on it... instead of a normal cigarette lighter.

Were ashtrays and lighters optional in 96?

As a smoker ...having no ashtray or lighter is a bit*h :Flame: Anyone have an ashtray for an OBS they wanna get rid of?

This is probably my 5th and newest subaru. I had a 90 loyale, 81 wagon, 86 brat and a couple others I can't think of. All older models. New ones are too expensive! My roomy bought a new 06 impreza sedan. I wouldn't want the $411 monthly payment. :(

This was my brat. I should have never sold it.

641BRAT.jpg

Yes it was in NY until I sold it on ebay. The buyer drove it home to tennessee ...I think. He painted it soon after getting it home. I wonder if he's on this site now?

I recognize some of you guys from the old USMB board. I got a lot of ideas and advice from the site when lifting the brat.

yes my car is an OBS with no ashtray or lighter. I tried that link but they dont list "ashtray"

try searching for a more common item for your make and model like the radio, and sort your search by distance, you may find a parts yard near you and you can actually visit them, may be even a pick-a-part yard. then call the place and ask if they have the other trim pieces and ashtray.

and/or

place an ad here in the wanted section of the marketplace.

search the for sale section here.

search ebay 'parts and accessories' section, there you can specify your year and model to narrow the responses.

eventually you will find some one who has an impreza in pieces.

It's not an OEM ashtray, but have you seen the cupholder ashtrays? Since the you-must-be-joking cupholder in the Imps is too narrow for many cups, waste a spot in it for an inexpensive ashtray. I've seen them at Wal-mart for cheap.

If you haven't seen one, they look like half a can of soda, with a lip for resting your cigs. Basic black. Drops into any soda-can-sized holder. The only problem with them is that it will sit directly in front of one side of your AC/heat controls if you get an tall extra-capacity one.

Not as pretty as the factory ashtray, but probably easier to find (and, depending on your favorite junkyard, probably cheaper, if not in money then in time and hassle). :)