Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got some parts from the dealer today to wrap up my engine assembly, and the counter guy suggested I use Subaru Coolant System Conditioner when I fill my engine. For $2 I said why not... and got it. He also mentioned I should use it with Subaru coolant. Well, `//TF is Subaru Coolant? I dont think its necessary to buy coolant from the dealer, is there a specific type of coolant I should look for?

Green or blue. NOT red/orange.

(Only exception would be the stuff Motul makes for motorcycles, which is yellow, but based on the same ingredients as the green and blue. It works really well, and I would recommend it. Especially since your location doesn't suggest strong frosty winters. It's proportionally more water than most pre-mixed coolants which is good for both heat capacity and transfer)

Hello! Yes there is a difference among coolants. The top recommendation is do NOT use OAT type coolants in a Subaru. These include GM dexcool, prestone all makes/all models, and many others.

How's about some pics!!!!

holtsradweld1.jpgholtsradweldgenuine.jpg

genuine-Subaru-coolant-ingredients.jpg

ZerexG05-ingredients.jpg

ph1.jpgpequa1.jpg

You guys know a lot more about this stuff than I probably do. However I will tell you what I was told by our local subaru mechanic. He claims that on the phase I and II 2.5 engines, that only Subaru coolant and Subaru coolant conditioner be used. The reason is that as you all know those engines and the head gaskets were prone to failure. The new coolant and coolant conditioner were developed to help with the problem. Even after the mechanic changed the Head Gaskets on my 01 legacy, he refused to put in anything except the subaru stuff.

Just my two cents...

Subaru coolant is the safe way to go.

If it was a warranty repair at a dealer, genuine SUBARU coolant is required for dealer warranty repairs.

You are right it was a warranty repair.

On the other hand Zerex looks like an alternative which is close to Subaru.

OAT coolants work great....provided you have no coolant leaks/air in the system. When a leak/air happens, the aluminum corrodes and then the coolant picks up the corrosion dust, thus resulting in glopping and clogging.

Something I didn't think of before is there have been posts in the summer about overheating, etc., which turned out to be the radiator clogging.....not sure what coolant was in use?

Right on. The main thing you won't see in other similar coolants is potassium hydroxide, which I believe Subaru adds because aluminum prefers a slightly basic pH for minimum corrosion rate. Potassium hydroxide is the ingredient in many drain cleaners.

Subaru says to use a 'phosphate, non-amine' coolant. However their own coolant contains no phosphate, but rather uses 'a trick of chemistry' they say (the sodium benzoate). I'm not sure about the amine part but I think it was an alcohol based coolant using amine salts such as corrosion inhibiters.

There's a huge thread on this topic at NABISCO if you're interested. It's interesting that Subaru specifies a non-amine coolant with phosphates. The non-amine thing is just tricky wording; basically, American-made coolants haven't used amines in years (decades) according to Old World (Peak manufacturer). I also wouldn't worry about not seeing potassium hydroxide on most coolant ingredient lists. Notice how they all say 'corrosion inhibitors?'

Most coolants that are non-phosphate are OAT or HOAT coolants and/or are marketed as long-life coolants. The phosphates are useful and effective but can lead to deposits if left in for a long time. However, that's not ever going to hint at becoming an issue if you change your coolant near the interval Subaru specifies. So as Nipper says, use the Subaru coolant if it's competitively priced. If not, use plain-Jane green coolant or pretty much whatever you want.

Myself, I wouldn't put the stop-leak in a 2.2, but like you said it's cheap.

The potassium hydroxide is not a corrosion inhibitor in itself, but it does help keep the pH slightly basic which is best to slow the corrosion of aluminum.

If you do choose to go with something other than SUBARU coolant, at least do not get an OAT coolant. Subaru specifically says NOT to use OAT coolants in soobs, and if your vehicle is under warranty it would probably be best to follow that advice. OAT coolants are Dexcool, prestone all makes/all models, and many others, and will typically list an ingredient such as sebacate or 2-ethylhexanoic acid.

Did I miss somewhere

where someone said

Use only distilled water with any mix type AF??

Is the Subaru AF premixed?

I don't think the SUBARU coolant SOA868V9210 is pre-mixed. I asked subarupartsforyou about this last year and they said "it is not pre-diluted".

Right on with the distilled water. Dilute only with distilled or deionized. Tap water especially well water can have various minerals in there that some believe leads to additive precipitation and certain corrosion modes. Since distilled water is less than $1/gallon why not.

just coming back from close to 10 000 mille trip, montreal-los angeles and return of course. everything fine, all fluid levels stay the same, including level on overflow tank. I bought prestone all makes to replace this spring. So all of you think I better go to dealer and buy the stuff to stay away from possible trouble in future?......I want to keep my sub longtime and out of trouble for many, many miles.