Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What would you pay for this car?

http://albany.craigslist.org/car/548699563.html

I was thinking I'd buy it if I could get a decent price. Install the timing belt and probably water pump etc and resell it on ebay for a little profit.

I'm unsure of the sellers thruthfullness about all the new parts. She sent me a picture of the rust behind the wheel well and I can clearly see the tire and brakes. The tire sure doesn't look like it has 50 miles on it and the caliper is so rusty that I doubt it was ever replaced.

What would you offer?

I think she's stoned asking $1275 for it.

What say you all?

Subaru0031.jpg

Subaru003.jpg

she's probably condensing things. those tires may be fairly new...they could have been replaced two years ago and have 50 miles on them as well. they don't necessarily look high mileage to me. and it's possibly that only 2 were replaced.

brake stuff rusts fast when it sits and is exposed so that's hard to say as well. and they likely didn't replace all 4 calipers and rotors, she's giving you the condensed version.

if by "needs timing belt" means it needs fixed....then it won't likely sell for $1,200. if it's just due...which at 120,000 miles it is due for it's 3rd belt (every 60,000 miles) and it still actually runs, then she's got a much better chance of selling it. that will make the difference.

she's probably condensing things. those tires may be fairly new...they could have been replaced two years ago and have 50 miles on them as well. they don't necessarily look high mileage to me. and it's possibly that only 2 were replaced.

brake stuff rusts fast when it sits and is exposed so that's hard to say as well. and they likely didn't replace all 4 calipers and rotors, she's giving you the condensed version.

if by "needs timing belt" means it needs fixed....then it won't likely sell for $1,200. if it's just due...which at 120,000 miles it is due for it's 3rd belt (every 60,000 miles) and it still actually runs, then she's got a much better chance of selling it. that will make the difference.

No, the T belt blew. The car does not presently run. I'm not sure how she's coming to the conclusion that it just needs a timing belt. I assume she took it for an estimate and they told her that.

Bigusa

i think 1275 is a good deal for the car, despite the timing belt and the rusty brakes

i just bought the same car but in a wagon for 1600 with 160k miles on it

remember that the 2.2s are non interference, so who cares if the TB is broken, it will take u 2 hours plus parts to replace that and there u have a nice car in your hands

get it!

Well from a read of the Craig's list ad, this "li'l lady" seems to know her way around the yard... talkin' up the 2.2 and that you could "part it out"...;)
haha ditto that! Who is it now that is turning this car for a quick profit? :lol: It looks pretty good, calipers don't look new though some rebuild calipers maybe they don't bead blast and paint etc. Tires look good.

I would not buy it for $1275 to resell. There isn't enough profit in it for me. Even if you put a belt on it, it's a $1500 car at best on the bay. I would buy in the $300-$500 range for something like that. Yeah it's a Subaru and we all know it will run forever, but to the average bay shopper it's still a 13 year old rusty car.

i would offer a stack even, put on a timing belt and do the brakles, and keep it! if you keep the car it willlast a while, especially with new brakes and good tires, and the interior and body are nice and the rust is minimal. i know you PNW guys would junk a car over the pictured rust spot but somewhere like wisconsin,or the rust belt in general, you would expect a small amount of rust anyway.

that would be a 1500 1750 dollar car easy appearance wise if you were to sell it around here at least(WI)

based on the asking price the seller would probably expect to take 1000 even.

if there is not a lot of other buyers and the car i still around go back and offer 800. take 1000 cash with you and if she doesnt take 800 as an offer, show her the money and say take it or leave it

i would offer a stack even, put on a timing belt and do the brakles, and keep it! if you keep the car it willlast a while, especially with new brakes and good tires, and the interior and body are nice and the rust is minimal. i know you PNW guys would junk a car over the pictured rust spot but somewhere like wisconsin,or the rust belt in general, you would expect a small amount of rust anyway.

that would be a 1500 1750 dollar car easy appearance wise if you were to sell it around here at least(WI)

based on the asking price the seller would probably expect to take 1000 even.

if there is not a lot of other buyers and the car i still around go back and offer 800. take 1000 cash with you and if she doesnt take 800 as an offer, show her the money and say take it or leave it

I offered $450 but no dice. She says she called a junkyard to find out what a complete door would cost and was told $200. So she's probably doing the math... 4 doors x $200 = $800 for just the doors! Then she said she could take it to a metal recycling plant in town and get $300 for it.

I have a funny feeling she'll be emailing me an a couple weeks accepting my offer. :banana:

I like Mile's and Kevin's logic

but

wonder what the exhaust/brake lines look like from sitting.

To follow up 3Pin's idea...

Can anyone spell

t-o-r-q-u-e b-i-n-d

Maybe thats why they don't get it fixed and sell

it for ????

I'm a wagon guy anyhow.

Show me your Oh Bee.

I offered $450 but no dice. She says she called a junkyard to find out what a complete door would cost and was told $200. So she's probably doing the math... 4 doors x $200 = $800 for just the doors! Then she said she could take it to a metal recycling plant in town and get $300 for it.

I have a funny feeling she'll be emailing me an a couple weeks accepting my offer. :banana:

You did a smart thing. I get a lot of cars that way. Offer what you think it's worth and wait. I often get calls and emails a month later accepting my offer. If not there is always something else.