Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2003 H6 Outback Differentail Fluid

I had my oil changed today and the service person told me I need to have my Front and Rear Differential Fluids changed. I didn't do it.

My question is, do I have a front and rear differential and how necessary is it to change them?

BTW, they also told me I should get a fuel system cleaner, a PT15 engine treatment, and have my auto transmission fluid and coolant/antifreeze changed.

My milage is 105,000.

yes you have a front and rear differential and they both have their own fluids.

what you don't need is the fuel cleaning service. that stuff is waaaaay overkill. if you wanted to do something, just buy a can of quality treatment to put in your gas at the next fill up - MMO is a good bet. otherwise in reality you are fine to leave it alone.

all of those other items are good to have replaced. definitely have the automatic transmission fluid replaced if it's never been done. i'd do the others as well but i'd consider that one the most important. BUT - make sure you at least check the levels of the diffs.

how necessary is it to change them?

You do not say if this is a VDC with the rear LSD.

I say this as a LSD rear diff needs different servicing.

have my auto transmission fluid and coolant/antifreeze changed.

Yes, you should have both done, a tranny flush would be better.

Some reading if you want on Subaru coolant

starts with a different engine but covers all newer models.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=84620

I had my oil changed today and the service person told me I need to have my Front and Rear Differential Fluids changed. I didn't do it.

My question is, do I have a front and rear differential and how necessary is it to change them?

BTW, they also told me I should get a fuel system cleaner, a PT15 engine treatment, and have my auto transmission fluid and coolant/antifreeze changed.

My milage is 105,000.

Do you want your car around for a long time?

Differntail lubricant is needed If you want to keep the car forever, or pile on the miles.

Fuel system cleaner, if your not running rough, skip it.

Tranny should be done every 3/36000 miles. Subaru doesnt have a spec for newer ones, but thats a very expensive piece of equipment to not change fluid on.

Radiator should be 3/36 also. It keeps the heater core and radiator free from clogs. It also has a lubricant that keeps the water pump happy, whic is very important in a timing chain car. One can replace a wtaerpump with a timing belt car at timing belt changes. Since you have a chain, you dont have that convience.

nipper