Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hm interesting! Did you make that? Looks good!

Thanks, yes I did. I just copied the design of that cheapo adjustable tool you posted the pic of. Its probably a lot more robust then it needs to be (3/16 steel with 1/2 steel pins) but its what I had handy. I could've made the pins smaller, in fact I'm contemplating grinding them off and making them removable so I can use different size pins for different applications.

• 2 weeks later...
did it work? :grin: :grin: :grin:

Like a charm... sorta. That is, it would've worked great but I used some kinda mystery metal for the two pegs. I knew it was steel, just not what kind of steel. Whatever it was turned out to be really brittle once welded as both pegs snapped off! Went back into work this morning and made two more pegs out of some known material and this time performed the hammer test on 'em:headbang:

Now if only the seal puller tool had worked out as well. Nuthin' wrong with the handle part, but the part I made to pry under the seal was woefully inadequate. I'll have to figure something new for that one.

Will-

• 2 weeks later...

alternate cam sprocket holder - I used a 14mm crow foot (13 might have worked, but found the 14 first) and a socket handle (a small breaker bar would have been better to not have to play with the rachet, but I had the socket handle handy).

turn it so it's 90 degrees to the handle and slide it over a spoke at the bottom, turn the bolt with a wrench and hang on to the socket handle. The bolt pops right off (works the other way to install)

I pulled seals with a small "pick" set I got from Harbor Freight. One of the picks is a 90 degree hardened steel bent end "scratch awl" (for want of a better description)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94500

either the one on the left end or right end would work pretty well (I think I used the one on the right) - pokes a hole in the rubber part of the seal, push it in a bit and then twist it to engage the "hard" part of the seal. It gives enough "power" to pull the seal (use something as a fulcrum to pry the seal out) and it's easy to avoid scratching either the bore or (in my case) the cam

Sort of like the "screws" method without needing the additional prybar

I pulled seals with a small "pick" set I got from Harbor Freight. One of the picks is a 90 degree hardened steel bent end "scratch awl" (for want of a better description)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94500

either the one on the left end or right end would work pretty well (I think I used the one on the right) - pokes a hole in the rubber part of the seal, push it in a bit and then twist it to engage the "hard" part of the seal. It gives enough "power" to pull the seal (use something as a fulcrum to pry the seal out) and it's easy to avoid scratching either the bore or (in my case) the cam

Sort of like the "screws" method without needing the additional prybar

These look good. My puller thing didn't end up working so well. I went with the screw method, but I didn't like the possibility of drilling too far.

Will-

I like the method AE points out

We old timers call them

"hoof picks" - man that is old time!!

Another use for a hoof pick is removing

stuborn hoses.

Stick the point in and wiggle it around

the pipe

(shoot some ju ju of your choice in

if you like)

See photo at right.

The hose can then be rotated and pulled right off.

hoofpicks.jpg

I have a longer "snouted" one that works

better but.... guess there is something to having

too much stuff ....grrrrrrrrrrr

I hate when I can't find a tool.