Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi,

I have a 96 Legacy Brighton that needs new brake shoes. I had been bookmarking the "disc upgrade" threads but at the moment I don't have the time and the shoes should be replaced. Is a high performance brake shoe available, or is that just a contradiction in terms?

FWIW, these brakes feel fairly adequate for how the car is driven 99% of the time. My motivation for wanting to upgrade is more fueled by the fact that I remember the (four wheel disc) brakes in my last legacy being noticeably stronger than the brakes in this car.

No one makes performance "shoes".

There wouldn't be a point, or a market as the only vehicles that sport the drums are the ultra low-end versions like the brighton, and the entry Imps. In fact no legacy came with drums till 95. 90 to 94 (which are plentiful in yards) should bolt right on to the rear of your 96. I would just get a used set of rear discs and a new set of stock pads. Rear drums are for the birds.

GD

Hi alaskanjer and welcome.gif

I have a '96 brighton too. I haven't noticed any performance shoes per se, though if you look on tirerack.com they might have something.

I would probably go with a Subaru OEM rear shoe kit, because I think that comes will new springs and such. All my hardware is rusted.

I think by 'low end' we mean they don't all the options other soobs have, like power windows, power locks, rear radio speakers, and well of course rear discs.

If you want to upgrade, right you'd probably want to swap the rear drums for discs. Also the front calipers are single piston on the brightons. I got a set of front and rear calipers and brackets from a '96 outback but never used them...yet.

Also the front calipers are single piston on the brightons.

They are on 90-94 non turbo's as well, and I believe on 95-?? non-outbacks as well. Single piston front's are fine - just need to swap the rears for discs of any sort.

Thanks Disorder.....just write my Impreza off as an "ultra low end" model :confused:

Well - unless Subaru makes Skateboards that's what it is. It's not a bad thing - less stuff to break. Also easier wiring for JDM swaps, etc. I would rock one, but I don't call them anything but what they are.

GD

like the low maintenance of drums :clap:

There's nothing low maintenance about drums. They require adjustment, or if they have auto-adjusters they will still eventually require replacement. Which takes 50x longer than replaceing pads in a rear disc.

Disc's are lower maintenace by far. When you have to replace a set of drums that are completely frozen from brake dust holding water and causing severe corrosion you'll understand.

GD