Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thats the block thats busted. WOW. 1900 is way to high, but I have seen them go from 400 to 2000 on Ebay. It is my guess that someone who does not know better thinks the fix is a "stop leak treatment" or a new themrostat. To bad they have no idea whats in store after dropping 2 G's

i can't believe they reworked the heads before they realized part of the block fell on the floor.
Agreed. Even if the condition of the head deck area of the block is ignored (a bit hard to do :rolleyes: ), it's not like the cylinder liners and piston crowns are looking good. The dealer was going to drop reworked heads on that?

It's no wonder USMB has such a loyal following. :)

sub360, you've dealt with these Fleebaggers more than most.

Why does this guy have such a high

"Buy it now"

What do figure his reserve is? ~ 1700?

55b1_1.JPG

My bet is his knuckle head tech has something to do

with the missing chunk and doesn't want to fess up to it.

"But Boss the BFH had a mind of it's own!!"

Does anyone think the block could have been broken

by freezing?

He's fishing for a sucker with that price.

He might get $1900, it's got low miles and people are coming into tax money now.

Notice the guy had the heads off in the car. Probably pulled the heads and sent them out without looking at the block. My opinion is a valve head got jammed up and broke the cylinder.

Oh well, I will watch it and bid at the end if it doesn't go up. Fixed, I'd price the car around $3000-$4000 depending on if the body is fixed or not.

sub360, you've dealt with these Fleebaggers more than most.

Why does this guy have such a high

"Buy it now"

What do figure his reserve is? ~ 1700?

My bet is his knuckle head tech has something to do

with the missing chunk and doesn't want to fess up to it.

"But Boss the BFH had a mind of it's own!!"

needless to say all the talk about reworking the heads may be BS and he's just trying to support his asking price.

The head look to have had at least some work done. They look like they have been hot tanked to me, so it's probably not bs.

I wouldn't even mess with that engine anyway. I'd replace it with a used 2.2, I don't bother with a 2.5 if it had a major failure like that.

anyone notice both of the busted areas are excactly above where the Case half bolts are on that side?

The walls do have a tiny relief cut right there for socket clearance. I wonder if that was just the weakest spot to blow. Or if perhaps they were trying to split the case(for why IDK????) and the extension they used torqued against the side of the wall?

Something seems weird, for both cylinders to be blown out.

Also call me crazy, but do those look like dished turbo pistons???? Maybe someone had a crazy turbo project going with this thing, and upped the boost?

The bottom line is it will cost a G to get that back on the road. Its only worth 500 to 650

Hmmm.... It's PA, so maybe if it's really rusty. I know cars out there do not hold value as well. Back east, ten years and 150k is "old with high miles" LOL

But that is a nice car. All the options and the dual sunroofs. After a new engine installed, that car could be sold for $4000-5000 around here.

But even in PA, even with a wee bit of rust, I would thinkSubaru360's estimate of $3000 is more like it.

As it sit now it's worth way more than $500 just from the seats, wheels, and body parts. I think the seller is reasonable to expect $1k. It's not like it's a total wreck. Just needs a $500 JY motor dropped in to be a really nice car.

Being from PA

I agree with G and know

Sube360, knows these cars very well.

This statement may be hard to do with an EJ25.

. Just needs a $500 JY motor dropped in to be a really nice car.

Here in western PA N-knee-wayz.

Being a 99 may present some issues if a 95 or so EJ22

was put in.

To retain value, some of these non-Sube people

want an original engine (size wise).

I think the 1 grand target purchase price is correct.

This guy wants almost twice that => ??

Come on Tom, work your magic!!

I think the 1 grand target purchase price is correct.

This guy wants almost twice that => ??

That's his "buy it now" We don't know what the reserve is. Could be $1k or less.

And with the number of "blown" 2.5s out there, I think you could pick one up cheap. Put new HGs on it and install.

I got a 2.5 SOHC from a forrester for $50 the other day. Of course it had been run out of oil and the crank and rods are toast

well put msmith!!

1800 =1.8 x a grand

I was not far off, just kinda figured it would

be close to his buy it now price.

I don't know if I could find a 99 EJ25 blown HG and all

for under 5c-notes.

(pre 99 four bolter could be used I guess?

if all the sensors (intake) would be swappable

- we need IM stickers, i.e no CELs)

But G is correct, for a few dollars more this could be

a real nice Oh Bee.

car-part.com is what I use mostly.

Oh well, $1800 is nuts. Maybe I'll buy it when it doesn't sell. I'm good at waiting sellers out. I'd consider a grand but would go look at the car in person first. I see it has typical rusty quarters and a few dents.

For comparison, I sold a 99 outback a few weeks ago, nice clean car 180,000 only a few scratches on the bumper mechanically 100% the guy drove it home 1200 miles with no problems for $2200 on the bay.

This car in question is worth a little more, it's a limited with lower miles.