Ultimate Subaru Message Board

For as long as I live, I may never understand why someone would spend 1900 dollars on a 10 year old car that needs a new engine. I may have to contact the buyer to figure this mystery out.

do it, im dying to know why o why would they want that for that

i just dont understand

i can buy them here for 500 all day long

in that condition

and sell them for 4500 too, fixed, all day long

i got a real good market for subarus

For as long as I live, I may never understand why someone would spend 1900 dollars on a 10 year old car that needs a new engine. I may have to contact the buyer to figure this mystery out.

Although you won't see me clicking on "buy it now" -I don't think that's all that bad a deal. $1900 plus $500 for a junkyard 2.2engine, a couple of weekends of work and you've got a car possibly good for another 100K miles with a few repairs. Or, you could buy a "runs great" used Outback for $4-5K and find out you need headgaskets or a complete engine in the near future.

Let's say you buy a new car for $25k and plan to keep it 15yrs, at which point it's considered scrap. Your cost works out to $1.6K/yr, not even including interest which will be significant. Buy a 10 year old car for $2400 (1900+500), keep it for five years and your cost will be $480/yr. Yes, the 10 yr old car will need repairs, but you'll be saving considerably on interest, car insurance, etc.

Nathan

do it, im dying to know why o why would they want that for that

i just dont understand

i can buy them here for 500 all day long

in that condition

and sell them for 4500 too, fixed, all day long

i got a real good market for subarus

Yeah I buy them for about the same. I would have paid $1000 for this one. It had lower miles and was a limited. I've never been able to sell one for $4500 yet. I can get $3000 real easy. I think I could have got more for this one. Oh well, there's more where that one came from.

I think this is an exxageration. Perhaps at salvage auctions, but most of those car have more damage or "totaled" titles from an accident.

C'mon....don't BS the BSers

I don't see why that's BS, I've bought 6 or 7 outbacks in the past year from private owners with clear titles in the $300-$700 range.

I don't see why that's BS, I've bought 6 or 7 outbacks in the past year from private owners with clear titles in the $300-$700 range.

99 or newer??????? Limited editions????? With Dual sunroofs, Leather, all the whistles and no major body damage or rust?????? With barely 100k on them????

Sure you see alot of 95-97 Manual trans(or auto with torque bind), with 200K miles, not to many options, dirty cloth seats, one window that doesn't work, with rust holes, and *just blew a headgasket* for cheap

But I dare say you've got a deal with the devil if you're getting cars that nice for 300-700 regularly.

The car on ebay wasn't that nice. It had rusty quarter panels and various scrapes and dents. I got a '99 last month a lot nicer than that for $500. There are deals out there you just have to look and be in the right place at the right time. That and being upfront and honest is the way to make money.

I got a '99 last month a lot nicer than that for $500.

I am a jealous man, and very happy for you. $500 is pennies to pay for that car here. I guess with PA's inspection laws and heavy salting, the cars are worth less sooner there. But I still wanna know what you got in trade for you're soul:lol: Look at this KBB value!!

Retail:http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/PricingReport.aspx?ManufacturerId=47&YearId=1999&VehicleClass=UsedCar&VehicleId=6012&SelectionHistory=6012%7c20949%7c97330%7c0%7c0%7c229560%7ctrue%7c229501%7ctrue&PriceType=Retail&Mileage=100000&ModelId=276&Condition=Excellent

Private Party:http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/PricingReport.aspx?VehicleId=6012&SelectionHistory=6012%7c20949%7c97330%7c0%7c0%7c229560%7ctrue%7c229501%7ctrue&ManufacturerId=47&PriceTypePath=Retail&PriceType=Private+Party&VehicleClass=UsedCar&Condition=Excellent&ModelId=276&YearId=1999&Mileage=100000

There are deals out there you just have to look and be in the right place at the right time. That and being upfront and honest is the way to make money.

I completely agree. In this case the right place must be Pennsylvania. I would guess that car would be $7500+ if the local dealer had taken it in on trade and dropped a motor in it/detailed it. And they would sell it too.

OK. Here's the NADA listing

http://www.nadaguides.com/usedcars.aspx?LI=1-21-1-5013-0-0-0&l=1&w=21&p=1&f=5014&y=1999&m=1212&d=972&c=20&mi=100000&o=80~75~85&vi=52670&z=97330&da=-1&nx=1

There is no way that that car would be as low a 4-5k around here. $7500 plus at a dealership or used car lot here. MAYBE you could get it driect from seller for 5-6k .s

I said is before, and I'll say it again. Someone is either the luckiest subaru mechanic/buyer/seller out there. Or there is some excagerating just a tad here.

Gloyale, check Ebay and Craigs list... that is what a car is worth. Now if you like going to some used car lot or a dealership and paying retail then go ahead. I have a 97 OBW thats yours for 3100 I am located in PA.

I'd guess less than 10% of car sales nation wide are on Ebay and Craigslist. Those are bargain sites for Bargain hunters.

Most people buy cars from dealers. Sorry, but KBB and NADA are the real deal, used by most of the dealers in the country.

Ebay and Craigslist ARE NOT the true measure of retail vehicle value.

don't think everyone was getting my point here.

I work on these cars. We all do. Most of us are not the people who will go to a dealer or lot and pay retail. BUT MOST PEOPLE DO PAY RETAIL! That is the price that most people have to pay for a car.

I want to buy it below retail, and then sell it at the higher, retail price. When you are in the business of fixing and selling cars, that is the price you should go by. Retail. Nothing wrong with that.

My other point is that the cars are simply worth more out here in Oregon. No salt= no rust. That and people are used to seeing cars with over 150k miles all the time. There is alot of distance between everything out here, so the miles add up quick.

Seriously. Retail for Subarus less than 10 year old out here is $7500+ plus

Even 95 and 96's still fetch $4000-6000.

There are private seller deals for less occasionally, but even those are high if there is no major damage or issues.

So, Does anyone know if that car ever sold???????