Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Head Gasket 2000 Legacy - Warranty

Hiya all.

Well, I have some bad news and some good news. My 2000 Lego (86k) had the WWP-99 Coolant Conditioner recall done a few months back, I was waiting for it to start leaking again before taking it in to have the HG replaced. Well, it looks like the weather has helped out. I started the car in the 9 degree weather this morn, walked inside real quick, and came out to a quick drip of coolant in the driveway. Sweet. Dealer has agreed to replace the driver HG.

My question, he quoted me a price of $300 to do the pass HG (not currently leaking). Seems like a fair price - anyone think it's worth it? Not sure how likely the passenger gasket is to fail.

I also plan on doing the t-belt, seals, water pump, tensioner, and oil pump, maybe the idlers.

Cheers,

Nick

If the $300 includes parts and labor, for an extra $300 I would have the RH/passenger side done as well. Maybe you can get a deal on all the work you want to have done in addition, such as timing belt, water pump, seals, etc.

Don't forget valve cover gaskets and valve clearance check/adjustment. Actually they should be doing that anyway after the heads are reinstalled.

Since they are likely pulling the engine anyway to do the HG's, doing the timing belt, etc. is even quicker to do while it's out.

I think they typically give a warranty on parts&labor. Doesn't sound like this engine has yet had the HG's replaced.

From what I've seen repeat HG failures are sometiems improper/insufficient cleaning of head and block, heads not milled, improper surface finish (generally needs 50RA or better but not a 'mirror finish'), non OEM or 'old stock' OEM HG's, improper head bolt tightening sequence and/or torque.

Correct, it has not had the HG's replaced. They did say that they would send the head out to a shop if it needed to be milled.

I'll check on the warranty.. I'm hoping it's some kinda 1yr/10k mile deal.

I guess since they will have the motor out I should do the rear-main and the separator plate as well.

Two additional questions. Any reason to do the valve seals? And I will probably do the toothed idler (13085AA060 i think), but when looking up the part numbers, I came across a "crank pulley sprocket" (13021AA16A). Which is the right one to do?

Thanks! I'll plan on updating this with the final rundown of parts, etc.

I recently had a 99 SOHC 2.5 apart.

One thing I noticed was that the HGS were different.

One(passenger side) had a coating over the entire surface of both sides of the gasket. the coating was all flaking off in the ring around the tops of the cylinder wall that are in contact with coolant(open deck) I believe this was an original HG.

The other one(drivers), had coating only on the part that was actually in contact with metal. The area that was exposed to the water jacket was just metal. Better cause there isn't anything to flak into the waterjacket. I think this side was replaced by the dealer, and is an upgraded style gasket.

Where it get's interesting, is that the surfaces of the deck and head where also different. Passenger side deck and head was perfectly smooth, factory surface prep.

Driver side had wizz wheel marks all over it. Would a dealer tech do this! It was obviously chewed up.

It baffles me that one would replace just one HG, and then to do it poorly. tisk tisk.

i would replace the other one. the dealer is "not replacing it" because it's not leaking and they're not required too. but the proper thing to do is replace it. think of it this way...it's a high risk item, it's the same block, same heads, assembled by the same line, at the same time, same parts....and one cut loose on you. the only good thing about yours is that, unlike the 96-99 EJ25's, they leak externally and don't typically overheat/leave you stranded. you get fair warnings and time to plan ahead or get home.

I don't think the dealer will be pulling the motor for HGs.
you're right, at least the ones i've asked. they don't pull it. all of the people claiming "pulling engine is faster" are not right...notice i didn't say they're wrong! the level of difficulty depends on the person and tools available. but the quickest way, if you have the right person and tools, is with the engine in the car and that's how the dealers do it, at least the ones i've talked to.

I don't think the dealer will be pulling the motor for HGs. Too much extra work, especially for a warranty job. They are gonna try to bang it out with minimal time and effort.

AGreed.

also, the dealer will probably charge subaru for both HGs under warranty and the $300 they charge you will just be extra cake in their pocket.

Got the car back, they were able to do all the work in one day.

I forgot to ask if they pulled then engine or not... The ended up charging about 90 bucks to do the rear main and oil separator (apparently it's real name is PVC plate?).

Total bill was right around 800. Ended up doing both HG's and a complete t-belt job. I'll post the complete list, just need to grab the bill - 4 pages!

Parts and Labor are guaranteed for 1 yr/unlimited miles.

One thing I did find out, which slipped my mind. The WWP99 recall only extends the HG warranty to 8 years/100k miles from the date the original owner took delivery!

I forgot to ask if they pulled then engine or not... The ended up charging about 90 bucks to do the rear main and oil separator (apparently it's real name is PVC plate?).
the engine has to come out to replace those. so they probably pulled it, or just said they replaced those items.

• 3 weeks later...

how did you make out with this? hels up so far?

Hiya all.

Well, I have some bad news and some good news. My 2000 Lego (86k) had the WWP-99 Coolant Conditioner recall done a few months back, I was waiting for it to start leaking again before taking it in to have the HG replaced. Well, it looks like the weather has helped out. I started the car in the 9 degree weather this morn, walked inside real quick, and came out to a quick drip of coolant in the driveway. Sweet. Dealer has agreed to replace the driver HG.

My question, he quoted me a price of $300 to do the pass HG (not currently leaking). Seems like a fair price - anyone think it's worth it? Not sure how likely the passenger gasket is to fail.

I also plan on doing the t-belt, seals, water pump, tensioner, and oil pump, maybe the idlers.

Cheers,

Nick