Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No Tranny Dipstick for 98 MT?

this sounds kind of dumb, but does the front differential and the transmition for a 98 2.5 obw mt share the same fluids?

I found A dipstick on the passenger side, it says DIFF on it, and its tucked way in under a whole bunch of wiring, does the tranny not have its own dipstick thats easier to get to?

thanks a whole lot, im trying to make sure my fluids are ok before i go on my trip this weekend.

....they do share the same fluid ....that is the dipstick for the gear oil in the trans. you are seeing.....

Thanks alot, so that is the only way to add/check my tranny fluid? Doesn't seem right, I was expecting a longer tube, kind of like the dipstick for the motor oil.:confused:

Hi. Yep that's the spot to check an add gear oil. Typically I use one of those gear oil pumps that fits on the quart bottle. Otherwise I typically spill a plenty! If you're looking to change your gear oil, people often like redline ns/no-shock or valvoline. Some other brands seem to cause hard shifting like the syncros aren't getting up to speed or something.

It is the Automatics that have seperate transmision and differential cases.

They have the same short little Differential dipstick in the same spot.

But the ATF dipstick and filler tube is on the drviers side, somewhat obscured from view by the heater hoses. It is a long skinny traditional tranny dipstick.

Just some FYI