Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i have a photo here and was wondering if anyone can tell me exactly what is a normal idle on a 1996 subaru legacy L 2.2

My '96 OBW 2.2 idles at just above the first mark on the tach and idles just below 1000 with the a/c on.

Sorry I know that's not very precise.

Will-

EDIT - it's a 5spd

yeah i drove it home like that today and everystop sign or stoplight the idle stayed right there......do you have any idea how to hook up a DVOM to read the RPM's because i have the meter with the capability to do it i just dont know where to hook it up.......

Ok ive got a 96' legacy ej22 with a 5 spd....i know ( or at least i think) that the IAC Valve on the 1.8 and the 2.5 engines are part of the throttle body....my question is....are there any differences on the 2.2 liter engines.....ex : could i swap an IAC from any other year 2.2 liter and put it on my 2.2?.....im making a junkyard run tomarrow and just trying to get some advice..... ( dont feel like paying $350 for a new IAC from the dealer......thanks in advance.....:)

Is the iac valve downstream from the pcv re-vent?

If so my theory is that blow by oil will combine with dust and clog the iac.

What is interesting is that the oil and dust mixture mimics electrical malfunction so well, as the "fuzz" seems to cause more problems during extremely damp periods. So a simple breathing issue will masquerade as an electrical fault.

Used to have a near yearly event with the 95 Vr6 I used to have.

Fill choke and repeat with gas line anti freeze. 2$ fix.

Warning! Hot engines may present a fire hazard. Choke, puff of smoke and then no more problem.

well if you look at it like i do the PCV is downstream of the IAC.....im going to do a vacuum test tomarrow and i ordered a new IAC valve gasket...hopefully that will get my idle back to normal like it prob. was.......i would still appreciate any suggestions anyone has........

ok...i replaced the IAC today ( didnt use a new gasket) as soon as i started it up the idle went to like 2500 and didnt move also got a CEL code 505.....so obviously the other IAC didnt work.....it seemed pretty gunky in the vacuum lines around the IAC so i cleaned them out and put the old IAC back on.....it seems to idle a little higher.....i have a photo here and was wondering if anyone can tell me exactly what is a normal idle on a 1996 subaru legacy L 2.2....Also i have a digital volt ohm meter with a Tach. function.....does anyone know how to hook that up so i can properly read the engine RPM.....

A little too hign in my opinion. That's over 750 rpm and normal idle is closer to 700 rpm. When idling at operating temp the needle on my tach is just below that same line. Has been idling there for 7 years, execpt for the period when I had a burnt exhaust valve.

Hi. I have a '96 2.2L (auto though), with a scangauge, so I can tell you a good average of idle (after warmup) tomorrow. Also the correct (non user adjustable) idle speed range should be shown on one of your underhood stickers. If your idle is consistently high one possible cause is a vacuum leak.

yeah i started to look there and i remember that it is not the origonal hood.....its off of like a 98 GT or something....i did order a new gasket for the IAC and am going to look for a new hose (one of them seemed brittle and showed small signs of cracking).....if a vacuum leak is present is there a chance it could give me problems throughout my RPM range?....im also going to do a vacuum test when i get the chance...i did one a while ago before i messed with this problem and everything seemed normal except for maybe a variation of not even 1 hg. up and down....the needle was pretty much steady at about 18 at idle......again i do appreciate your help porc.......:)

Sounds good.

if a vacuum leak is present is there a chance it could give me problems throughout my RPM range?
I guess if you had a big enough leak it could. It doesn't take much of a leak at idle to make the rpms go up. When on the throttle the ECU can compensate by altering fuel trim. On my '96 last year I noticed the idle was quite a bit higher than usual, but no other driving issues, and it was the tubing I had run for my vacuum gauge cracked.

thanks alot porc......i just did a vacuum test and the needle had an almost steady reading at 20 in. hg at idle.....so according to that everything is good.....i also called subaru they said my gasket will be in tomarrow.......if my IAC was having a problem would it have shown up on the vacuum test?.....

Good morning. Ok I remember to check my idle '96 legacy 2.2L auto trans (I can't remember is yours a manual trans?), after a 33 mile drive for warmup, all accessories etc off, it was ~700rpm in park and ~650rpm stopped in drive. I forgot to look at the vacuum gauge though. I had a picture of my underhood sticker with the idle range but I can't find it right now.

Let's see the service manual says.......

Idle Speed - unloaded 700 ±100 rpm

(With Headlights, Heater Fan, Rear Defroster, Radiator Fan, Air Conditioning, etc. "OFF")

Idle speed, loaded 850 ±50 rpm

(Turn Air Conditioning (A/C) Switch to "ON" and operate Compressor for at least one minute before measurement.)

ok.....i got home got my multimeter and found out i could use an inductive pickup to measure my RPM's...so i clamped the pickup around #1 cylinder plug wire and got a reading fluctuating from about 650-850 PRM's fully warmed up in neutral....i dont know how good inductive pickups are for measuring RPM's.....the meter was kind of running around from 650 to 850....my pics wont upload for some reason but my Tach on the dash is in the same exact spot as the pic. i took yesterday......