Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help, unidentified drivetrain noise

I have a '96 OBW, 2.2L 5sp.

When I am driving at highway speeds I occasionally hear a sound like something loose or ringing. It is not real loud, and does not seem consistent. It seems to be coming from the drive train.

I am wondering about wheel bearings, transmission, rear diff, rear driveshaft?

Any input would be appreciated.

If the sound is a slight buzzing ringing sound, it is prolly because the metal shroud around the exhaust pipe under the car has become loose. That has happened on both my 98 and 99 Leggy OBWs. It is nothing to be concerned about; it just becomes annoying to listen to.

I quieted the noise by driving the car up on ramps, crawled under the car, then had someone hold the gas pedal down to precisely the engine rpm that caused the shroud to buzz. Using a screw driver, I pressed it against the shroud until I got the noise to stop. That told me where the shroud was loose. To repair, I got a bolt, using a hammar, I drove the bolt in like a wedge to prevent the loose shroud from vibrating. It worked great. No more shroud noise for the past couple of years.

I have a '96 OBW, 2.2L 5sp.

When I am driving at highway speeds I occasionally hear a sound like something loose or ringing. It is not real loud, and does not seem consistent. It seems to be coming from the drive train.

I am wondering about wheel bearings, transmission, rear diff, rear driveshaft?

Any input would be appreciated.

You could try getting under there and shaking things around to see if you have anything loose like a heat shield or the exhaust or something. What makes you think it's the drivetrain?

Will-

those metal exhaust shrouds are really bad for this kind of stuff, good chance that's what it is. i've crawled under subaru's and seen metal hose clamps holding them type, sheet metal screws drilled into the exhaust...people come up with some good ones for settling that down!