Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Further Adventures of Guido the Killer Pimp

Ok so for the life of me ive posted about how its hard to put my car into gear but not sometimes it works fine. And on top of that i have the unability to put my car into reverse while its on. I try to and it just grinds but when i turn it off and put it into reverse its fine. Puzzled I am. Though my mother in law mad a funny comment today. Most of you know my minivan had wrecked so that left me with just this. She had let her 1999 tahoe sit in the garage for a week and went to start it today to find the batter dead. She looks at my car and says if weve got to start relying on that thing to get us around were in a world of trouble. I just laughed.

Ben

The clutch is definitely dragging. If you have to press the clutch halfway down before resistance is met, then it's not adjusted right at all, or is severely stretched. Tighten the adjuster until there is about an inch or so of freeplay.

I would try Napa. They have an OEM quality. (same markings, seems like from the same manufacturer) for about $30 dollars. From a dealer they are $50-60.

I wouldn't trust one less than $20. I can't really justify why, that just sounds so incredibley cheap to me.

does anybody know if any of the aftermarket ea82 cables are even a hair longer than oem? i put an ea82 cable and pedal in my 84 hatch as part of my spfi conversion and the ea82's cable is a bit shorter than my ea81's, maybe an inch - inch and a half as they sat side by side on the floor.

i'm having trouble getting it routed below the steering column & heater hoses and still hooking it into it's retainer. i might just fab up a new retainer (that's the one coming up from the bolt between tranny halves), but a cable that's just a bit longer would be great!