Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 valve cover gaskets - use RTV?

Not only for leaks, NO RTV on Newer Engines. RTV fumes will ruin the front Oxygen sensor.

On any oil related part, don't forget, air enters the crankcase and mixes with bypass gasses only to be drawn into the intake thru the PCV system. So YES, RTV used to seal oil gasket surfaces can ruin your Oxygen sensor.

This is true of any manufacturer. I first saw this as a TSB back in 1997 from Chrysler. They were replacing O2 sensors at an alarming rate. So they needed to get to their own dealer/service depts to warn them.

Right on, no RTV for the valve cover gaskets.

How about the RTV's that claim to be 'sensor safe'.... can those still cause o2 sensor damage?

I'm not certain of any newer RTV claims. For my own use, and the neighbors cars I also service, I use a Non-adhesive sealer made by Permatex. It seals well, I have never had a comeback or complaint, AND I can easily take whatever I used it on apart again.

what permatex number? Just curious - thanks.

I got a tube of the permatex anaerobic sealant to use on the oil pump - now if I can just undo the pulley without the special tool...

I think it gets solid, though

Most of the RTVs out there right now either say "sensor safe" or not. You don't want one of the "not" because the acetic acid made during the curing process will take out the sensor

I'm not certain of any newer RTV claims. For my own use, and the neighbors cars I also service, I use a Non-adhesive sealer made by Permatex. It seals well, I have never had a comeback or complaint, AND I can easily take whatever I used it on apart again.

Sorry, not Permatex. ( Old age comin thru ) . I just brought the tube from the garage. It's a Red plastic tube of " Loctite 515 Gasket Eliminator " It Flexes with the Flanges as it says. When I need more, I usually but 2 or 3 tubes at a time. Hate to be in the middle of something and run out. I even use it to seal oil drain bolts in case I don't have a replacement crush washer ( more and more companies have gone this route ). Never had a leak when I use it. And if I have to remove the part again, it just comes right off. It's like a sticky thick cake icing that doesn't harden.

That's why they sell "sensor safe" RTV. But there's very little use for RTV on modern engines such as the EJ's. Their gasketing systems don't need it.

Older engines such as the EA's however can benefit from RTV in a lot of ways. Cork sucks.

Sensor Safe RTV has never harmed any of my O2's. This is a very old subject, and one that has been addressed by the RTV manufacturers. It's only a problem if you use the wrong type.

GD

almost any silicone style sealer should not be used on an engine. you run a chance of getting an oil passage plugged with that stuff. if you do need to use something there are alternatives. also use very little. it goes a long way. most rubber gaskets like the v/c gasket are made to not use sealer and as mentioned you could make things worse. dry off the sealing surface before install and that rubber will almost bond with the metal.

george