Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Please label these jets.....*w/pics*

Ok, I'm still trying to hunt down the issues w/my soob. Here is a pic of my carb. Can someone please tell me what jets are what

(main/idle/secondary....ect.) and what they should be....140-170 ect.

I am guessing the large screws in the front and back are the idle screws.

Carbquestion.jpg

Right now they are

1-150

2-160

3-150

4-140

front screw 70

rear screw 50

Also found out my firing order is all messed up. I changed it to what the chilton manual said:PICT3085.jpg

and it wouldn't start. :-\ now i have to figure out how they were before....

I'm wondering if my distributer is off 180 deg.......can i just pull it out, turn it, and put it back in?

as always, any help would be great...

Thanks.

#1 Secondary air bleed. (should be 170)

#2 Primary air bleed. (should be 160)

#3 Secondary main jet. (should be 140)

#4 Primary main jet. (should be 140)

Front screw is the primary idle jet (50 is good) and rear is secondary (50 would be good here too).

There are 4 correct ways to align the plug wires. For each one the distributor has to be in the correct location. Put the engine at TDC, compression stroke for cylinder #1. When air pushes past your finger on the spark plug hole AND the timing marks are in view on the flywheel you are at TDC #1 comp. Turn the flywheel BACK to 8 degrees BTDC and align the distributor so the rotor is pointing at whichever plug tower you want to be #1. Carefully done you shouldn't be more than 1/2 degree off on the timing by eye.

Hookup the remaining plug wires in the 1-3-2-4 fireing order counter-clockwise from the #1 wire (wherever you decided to locate it).

Your book shows 1 of the possible 4 correct ways to posistion the distributor and the wires. It was most likely hooked up in one of the other three BEFORE you touched it and now the distributor alignment does not match the plug alignment. You should just redo the timing completely so YOU understand it, and know how it's been set.

GD

:banana: Great!:banana: I love having this kind of resource available. The Soob Guru have come through again!

Sounds like my secondary air bleed is too small and main is too big, which would explain the gas smell and sooty plugs. And my idle jet is a 70, not 50. Anyone know an easy place to find these with out having to pay out the A$$ for them?

Hope I can get this hammered out, my suburban (454 v8) is getting the same gas millage as this Subaru running like this 11-13mpg)

Thanks again,

~G

#1 Secondary air bleed. (should be 170)

#2 Primary air bleed. (should be 160)

#3 Secondary main jet. (should be 140)

#4 Primary main jet. (should be 140)

GD

GD are you sure that the top two are in the correct order? I just checked my weber and the secondary air bleed is a 160 and the primary is a 170. If that is the right order could that be affecting my performance and in what way? Also after reading all the posts about the top gasket i checked and mine is the incorrect one. I guess im ordering a correct one soonish.

Ok got the chance today. Switched them the way they should be and retuned a bit for the 60 idle jet that i put in (Ive tried 50, and 55 and the car sputters a bit at light throttle) and wow what a difference. It runs smooth through all RPM ranges...and pulls like a mother when the secondary opens. didnt thing it would make that big of deal but it did.