Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CEL flickers when I start the car

Is this normal, or a "soft" code? When I turn the key to start the car, it flickers right when the car tuns over and then goes out. Car is a '95 Legacy with 132K.

As of late, it has come on for real about once a month, usually in 4th gear in overdrive, light throttle on a slight incline; I reset it by disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes.

I've stopped bothering getting it reset at Autozone or the garage because I know what it will be: PO420. Am I delaying the inevitable O2 Sensor replacement?

The car has always passed inspection and runs and drives just fine. Will they be able to tell anything at the garage when I get my oil changed on Thursday? Anything like stored codes or events, or have I erased all that by disconnecting the battery?

I guess I just can't really justify putting a lot of money into diagnostics and sensors and/or a new converter for a 13-year old car as long as the light stays off for a while when it's reset.

Any input or comments welcome.

Thanks,

Brian

Good point. It is OBDII. I can deal with front 02 if it comes to that. Perhaps my gas mileage would perk up a bit from the 21-22 MPG I'm seeing around town right now? I know it's winter blend gas and it has been cold. But I can still get 26-28 on the highway, so I'm not terribly concerned.

Brian

Good point. It is OBDII. I can deal with front 02 if it comes to that. Perhaps my gas mileage would perk up a bit from the 21-22 MPG I'm seeing around town right now? I know it's winter blend gas and it has been cold. But I can still get 26-28 on the highway, so I'm not terribly concerned.

Brian

Yes it will. Since you are OBDII use an OE O2 sensor for the front snesor.

nipper