Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 Impreza outback vs 95 legacy wagon

Find a 97 Impreza outback sport in the junk yard

My questions are

1) Are the two engine the same? Both 2.2

2) What about the trany? Are the the same as well, both automatic AWD

3) Can the impreza outback struts fit legacy wagon?

Thanks

Hi.

1. The engines are similar but they are not identical. In '97 the 2.2L stopped using hydraulic lash adjusters and had some other changes to increase power and efficiency.

2. Trans are similar as well; not sure if they're swappable. If you swap trans you have to check the final drive ratio to match your rear diff.

3. The struts might fit, but the springs are different.

Hi.

1. The engines are similar but they are not identical. In '97 the 2.2L stopped using hydraulic lash adjusters and had some other changes to increase power and efficiency...

... don't forget to mention that these "improvements" also include making it an interference engine:confused:

Will-

they are not the same, but easily interchangeable.

the 1995 will have dual exhaust ports and the 1997 will have single. so the exhaust manifolds will be different. snag the exhaust headers and that solves that minor issue.

the 1997 is an interference engine and the 1995 is not.

i have seen (and i have the motor) one 1997 Impreza Outback without an EGR set up on it, but this is very rare indeed so that shouldn't be an issue..but like i said, i ran into it once.

the transmissions will interchange just fine, the final drives may differ. if they do, then you'll just have to swap the rear diff as well.