Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Inner CV Joint Puking A Little

I just noticed this yesterday. Too bad I didn't see it a couple of weeks ago since I just had the car within spitting distance of MWE. Anyway, both inner CV's in the front appear to be puking a little bit of grease. There is a small build up showing on various parts in a vertical plane circle around them.

I can't find any cracks, and they haven't made any noise. It isn't even enough on the exhaust to stink yet.

Besides a cracked boot, what causes this, just age, heat, thinned grease and leaking out the edge of the boot?

How long might I have before replacement is necessary?

Will there be warning noise for a while, or just failure of some sort?

These are original front axles with 197k on them, re-booted at 113k, 97 OBW, 2.5L, MT.

Ive had a LOT of boots ooze grease from between the boot and the cup. I wouldnt worry about it, personally.

Mine always seem to do it, and even IF the boot pops off or cracks, you will definitely notice the grease slung everywhere. You can usually go a couple days (depending on driving conditions) before you will hear noise, and Ive gone YEARS with noisy, bootless axles, and never had a failure.... (but thats pushing it) :grin:

Just a little FYI first, these are called DOJs

Double Offset Joints - they are not just CVs they

have the ability to move in and out

for suspension movement.

If the bands are tight, are you sure you are not seeing some

weeping of gear lube from the diff.

The seal at the stub is known to cause this.

I didn't mean to be rude with the FYI.

Just wanted to clear up the nomenclature.

Since they were rebooted previously, it is possible the bands were not made tight enough.

Also I saw this on endwrench, though for a '98:

Grease Leaking From Inner Axle Joints

If you encounter a 1998 model year Subaru vehicle that has grease leaking out of the inner axle joint along the transmission splined stub shaft, the situation can be repaired using the following procedure:

• Remove and disassemble both inner axle joints.

• Clean all the old grease from the joints.

• Inspect the freeze plug that covers the splined shaft area in the base of the inner joints to be sure that the plug has not fallen out.

• It is not necessary to replace the axles if the freeze plug in the axle has become displaced and cannot be reinstalled. Replacement of the inner DOJ assembly is all that is necessary.

•If you reinstall the plug, do not block the air bleed hole located at a point around the outer circumference of the seal plug. If the air bleed hole is blocked, there is a possibility that the axle boots may be damaged.

• Install new grease P/N 28093TA000. (This is the grease used on 1997 model year vehicles).

• Reassemble.

Production changes were made to subsequent models to remedy this condition.

Thanks to all. You are confirming my "don't worry about it too much" feeling.

Skip, no problem, correct me anytime, I don't know much about this stuff and I want to learn.

The way this stuff made a little pile on the frame member (sorry, probably the wrong term) I think it's grease not oil.

Yes the axles were re-greased and rebooted by a very reputable, long-time, Subaru mechanic in Billings.

I gave them a good yank this morning, and there is virtually no play, no sign of cracking yet, and definitely no noise when driving. I'll look more closely, but I think it is oozing from the end of the boot. My plan when I had the engine replaced was to wait until something really goes wrong with them, then get some MWE's to replace them. I'll stick to that.

I've never had a problem with the front axles on a Subaru. My only other experience was with a 71 VW bug. The CV's went bad on that, and I drove it for years with lots of noise. I finally pulled them apart and re-greased them. They balls were all dark blue and scored. I put them back in with new grease and drove for several more years without any noise or problems.

I was 20 then. I wouldn't abuse my Subaru like that now, but my gut is that even when these start to have problems, I'll have time to get them fixed.

Thanks