Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat Received Some TLC.........

Hello folks,

Just had to share. My 87 Brat got some TLC the past couple of days:

1. New oil pan gasket (Felpro - coated with Permatex Ultra Grey). Tightened bolts as hard as I could with a thick philips head sd. Did this on my 1981 2 door hatch in the early nineties once with Permatex black RTV sealant coating the gasket, and it worked like a champ. Will see how this holds up.
  2. Retorqued the head bolts (yes, I know..........). I have the special suby socket. Only two bolts per side need that socket. Slightly loosened the intake manifold bolts and followed the proper pattern etc. I also had done this to my 81 in the early nineties and all was well. But this was the first time on a 21 year vehicle, and I am a bit nervous. The exposed bolts were extra hard to loosen, even with some penetrant, but once loosened and oiled, they were fine.
  3. New valve cover gaskets - Felpro coated with Ultra Grey also. Had to reuse the old grommets. They were not too butchered up though.
  4. New OEM thermostat (190). This replaces a 180 Robertshaw Gold (installed in 2004), which appeared brand new when taken out. Hopefully, the truck will be happier. It was running cold.
  5. Replaced almost 10 feet (9+) vacuum tubing with Goodyear (Autozone) 5/32" tube. Hopefully, my hot air system will come back to life. The tube to the vacuum motor was toasted both ends. With a little bit of Vaseline, all went well. I did not note any orifices in the tubing I removed. The black barbed T connection close to the firewall appears a bit < 5/32". I may have to get a new T to replace.
  6. ND sparkplugs gapped to 0.044". I screwed up here. Should have gapped to 0.040". I gap on the tighter side, so should not make any difference. The recommended range is 0.039 to 0.043". OEM distributor cap and rotor, OEM air filter, Purolator PCV valve, B&E PCV filter and NGK spark plug wires.
  7. Oil (Castrol) high mileage oil and ND filter.
  8. Fuel filter and vapor separator were replaced last year and are OK.
  9. I have the OEM front suspension bushings to replace. Will try and tackle today or next weekend. Or will wait until I get new control arm bushings and will replace all then. Bushings appear OK visually.

Now to cross my fingers and start it up. Then adjust idle, timing etc. I want to nail the "erratic cold idle problem". Always started fine, but idled erratically. Hopefully, it was a vacuum leak.

Regards,

aba4430

1. Retorqued the head bolts (yes, I know..........). I have the special suby socket. Only two bolts per side need that socket. Slightly loosened the intake manifold bolts and followed the proper pattern etc. I also had done this to my 81 in the early nineties and all was well. But this was the first time on a 21 year vehicle, and I am a bit nervous. The exposed bolts were extra hard to loosen, even with some penetrant, but once loosened and oiled, they were fine.

I would bet you are going to have an intake gasket leak after doing that. The gaskets get nasty after 20 years. Replace with OEM only, and wire wheel the mating surfaces. 12 ft/lbs is all they require.

Otherwise - looks good. You could do a valve adjustment (yes - there's a procedure for the hydro's too). It's not called out on the maintenance, but after 20 years and high mileage I would do it anyway.

GD

So far, no oil drips on the garage floor. Drove for ~100 miles the past couple of days, and no real major issues. The OEM thermostat allows the truck to warm up appreciably quicker. Mother nature also loves the fact that I cannot smell unburnt gasoline anymore. The idle is a bit better and even. Some concerns at this point are as follows:

1. The hot air system. The door moves a bit lower, but does not close fully during cold start. Based on present temps., it should close. I will remove and check it out. There is a procedure in HTKYSA. The door may be stuck.
  2. The AC idle up control does not work. I can feel very little vacuum (disposable glove being sucked into hose) on the line that connects to the fitting on the idle up diaphragm mounted on a bracket by the carb. This has been a problem since I purchased the truck in 1993.
  3. Over the past two days, the truck has cut off 3 to 4 times when braking to a stop. Does not happen everytime.
  4. I have to check the choke out as well. I replaced the carb with a National Carb remanufactured unit in 2006 and have had an issue with the choke.

What I have done in the interim is bypass the vacuum line to the "vacuum" AC valve mounted on the passenger strut tower until I can figure this out. In order to compensate for the engine drain when the AC is on, I have set the no load idle speed to ~1300 rpm. With the AC and lights on at night, the idle drops to ~900. The truck runs better now, but still the cold idle bugs to be worked out.

Thx,

aba4430

• 2 weeks later...

The Brat has @116300 miles now. I went to Greensboro (Piedmont/Triad) area last Sunday for training. It is @215 miles from Chesterfield, VA. Drove the Brat just for fun. It ran beautifully. Most of the time between 70 to 80 mph and no issues keeping up with traffic. Returned yesterday evening (rained all the way back, but still 70 to 80 all along). This was the first time in over 10 years that the Brat has seen sustained "high speed" travel for even 200 miles non-stop. Previously, it has been been driven between Altanta and Albany, GA a few times. I used to drive between Atlanta and Pittsburgh regularly in the 87 to 90 timeframe in my '81 2WD GL confidently - but was a bit nervous with the Brat.

Now I go to UGA - Athens for a GMP (Pharmaceutical Good Manufacturing Conference) on Monday. I could fly, but have purposely not made flight reservations. Last year I drove to this same conference in my Altima, but now am thinking between the Brat and my Altima. It is only @480 miles each way.

Will give the Brat a once over and most likely take it to GA on Monday. It is good when the ride is nice and solid with no creaks and rattles present. Could live with a little bit less wind noise though.......... Also, need to beautify the Brat with a fresh coat of paint someday..........

Appreciate the comments. Was checking it yesterday and the drivers side CV inner boot is bust. I have the LLT warranty from Advance on this, but do not have time to take care of it today. Should be alright for my trip, I think. Regards, aba4430

Sounds like a nice brat! I wish mine could do 70 80!

My top speed soo far is 40mph :-\ Still scratching my head over it though.

How bad are the stock 4 speeds? Damn. My EA81 2wd 5 speed will cruise all day at 75 without breaking a sweat.

Returned from GA last Thursday. Total trip to and from with some driving around in Athens was @1050 miles - @495 miles each way. I started at @1120 from Athens on Thursday and entered my garage at 1830. Just stopped for gas on the way. Averaged right at 69 mph all the way with AC on all the time (AC was on and off while travelling to GA). Speeds were mostly at 70 to 80, with beyond 80 at times. No problems keeping up with traffic and the Brat ran fantastic. Approximate fuel mileage was 24.6 mpg.

At 70 mph the rpms are @3500 and at 80, it is @3800, give or take 100 rpm - I did not pay close attention. The 4-speed is a bit limited on the top end, but beyond 80 mph is not a problem. I remember my 81 GL 2-door hatch (2WD with 5-speed) would run all day at 70 with the engine turning at 3000 rpm.

Now I get to replace the left front driveshaft.