Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rebuilding rear diff mounts

i'm looking to replace my rear diff rubber mounts with some stiffer stuff in my legacy.

i remember a long time ago seeing in a magazine they were rebuilding motor mounts with some rubber in a can kind of thing. because they couldn't get after market ones and these turned out to be a lot better then they were hoping.

it was like in a gallon paint can and they took all the old rubber out and made a jig to hold the center metal tube in place and hold the new liquid rubber till it cured.

i can't remember what the material was so i was hoping to get some ideas from others.

any ideas?:confused:

or are there any good after market stuff out there that i wouldn't have to make.

filling in the voids in the stock bushings with the stuff used to seal windshields (iirc) is popular for applications where no upgrades are available.

i believe theres an article in sport compact car about this from a while ago...

filling in the voids in the stock bushings with the stuff used to seal windshields (iirc) is popular for applications where no upgrades are available.

i believe theres an article in sport compact car about this from a while ago...

maybe that was it, that was the magazine i was talking about and now that you say that it sounds familiar them using a tube of something.

they did it on a nissan or something. but didn't they take out the old stuff first or did they just fill in the voids

i think it was back when i was looking at celica alltracs the rear diff mount wasn't available any more and you had to rebuild them.

Yup, did this on my dad's legacy when we replaced the rear crossmember due to rust. The crossmember we put in didn't have anything left of the bushings, so we sealed up the bottom of the hole with tape, located the center part, and packed the 2 part urethane in. We used pretty stiff stuff, and you can hear more rear differential whine in the back now. There's different grades for vibration dampening and whatnot.