Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what will cause no run situation in a 90legacy? Now I don't mean catastrofic mechanical meltdown of major componates. My question is regarding engine sensors/controls, what would you all fix/check/replace to prevent that no run condition a million miles out in the bush:eek:

Well timing belt for one. Other sensors as soobs age seem to be engine coolant temp sensor, cam position sensor, crank position sensor; these don't always cause no run I guess but sometimes starting issues as they get tempermental. If you can put together a kit of such parts and maybe an alternator and starter from junk yard parts to carry as spares sometimes that can work.

some things like ignition coil, MAF, Crank and Cam sensors are so small and easy to replace you can throw extra's somewhere in the car.

as far as leaving you stranded i would rate an ignition coil as top priority if you wanted to keep one of those on hand. the cam and crank sensors do fail but i'm not sure how often they cause an all out no-start issue.

other things usually give you a fair warning before causing a no start condition and they don't fail very often.

if you really wanted to be well adept at this - it would be good to know which ones you can unplug and keep the car driveable, that allows you to disconnect one that might be giving you fits.

On top of what has already been said, i would carry a remaned alt and drive belt if those you're using are not recent. I would also carry spare lamps (headlights most of all). Burnt bulbs dont stop cars but...

And a good spare and a tire repair kit.

We are talking about a million miles into the bush are'nt we ?

i would carry a remaned alt
that's a really good one to mention. get your charging system up to date now. make sure your alternator and battery cable connections are excellent. clean them and install new terminal connectors if needed. they should be spotless and tight. this will extend the life of your battery and alternator.

alternators are very questionable items. they are at the whims of the previous owners maintenance, which on a 20 year old car leaves much to chance. carrying a spare used one is a great idea and luckily with subaru's they are SUPER easy to change.

i do this on all my older subaru's as soon as i get them.

Thanks to all who have posted, all good info. We are in the habit of finding a place where the road goes on a map and then going there in the legacy. Sometimes the GPS has roads that are barely there(a milion miles in the bush) and being prepared for most/all complications is what I try to be. Thanks again, this board is Most Excellent:popcorn:

G.