Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Little Black Box Won't Stay Put!

Well! Thanks, now we know.

Anyone ever remove one of these, as to what holds it in place? I'm getting tired of finding it hanging around when I hop in/out of Dragon.

I wonder if that means I have an alarm system installed, and/or the keyless entry? The manual states it was an option on my car, but the previous owner didn't mention Dragon had either.

Then again, she didn't even have the original keys, just a slightly-trashed Master copy. Dragon does have an epoxied pax door handle and mangled key tumbler - although the door handle will open from the outside, and lock/open from the inside, you can't key the door open from the passenger door itself. Title was good, so it wasn't a stolen car, but... who knows what my poor car's been through.

The door's the one last repair she needs to be a happy new Dragon - you're supposed to save the Maiden from the Dragon, not save the Dragon from the Maiden. I think my car is VERY happy she's been rescued from the dimbulb blonde who owned her - she had my Dragon FOUR YEARS and didn't know the rear seat base pulled up BEFORE you folded the backs down... wish I'd had a camera when I yanked it up during my 'shall I buy your car?' inspection! Obviously, she thought a manual wasn't necessary and never read one. First thing I got. Read it twice.

Going to take off Dragon's pretty steal-me American Racing wheels this afternoon and slap on some OBW ones, you know, the ones with obvious chain-slap... :grin: :grin:

Just hope I don't catch my foot on the assassin box again :eek::mad:

how 'bout zip tie the box up and out of the way? then get some keyless entry action going and no more worries about the bunged up key tumbler.

the tumblers are removable fairly easily. remove the door panel and that's about it on the impreza wagons at least, i can't imagine the legacy's being much harder. just tricky seeing in there to remove the circlip - once that's removed the tumbler comes out. maybe a locksmith could repair it to keep the keys the same?

No chance of saving the original key tumbler. I went to the dealer's fave locksmith and he took one look and said there was a really frustrated car thief out there. You can also tell he tried to pry at the rear door (a mini trim ding) until the thief gave it up.

The tumbler outside edge looks like a piece of meat a tiger chewed on - a lot. TBH, I'm surprised the door handle (even after epoxying) still works.

Your keyless entry system should be the

"Code alarm" system.

The remote for it looks like this

codealarmremote2.jpg

Here is a place to read up on it

and how

to program a remote

(Ebay has them (remotes) most of the time)

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/keyless.html#code%20alarm

I also vote for rig wire or a wire tie holder.

If it wasn't snowing buckets I go out and get

a shot of my black box and how it's mounted.

Actually, now pretty certain the box is part of an aftermarket alarm (!) because it doesn't say Subaru anywhere.

What's really fun is that I bought a manual off of Amazon ($8 including shipping) before I found out Subaru would have sent me one for free. In that manual folder is all the dealer prep info - including the entire installation instructions for installing (with pix!) the keyless entry system. And the dealer checklist for predelivery.

Now if we can find the factory box at a j/y somewhere!

Off to a j/y this aft to get a few things...

when I bought my '96 OBW, had the same box hanging in the same position. It is for the alarm/keyless entry which is a 'add-on' type accessory, Im assuming either dealer or 'port' installed. Definitely not factory. I use the term port loosely, I realize the car was most likely built in Indiana.

My box had been torn off its zip ties by a remote car start installer and then just shoved above the lower dash panel. The whole remote start installation was a mess which I ended up tearing out and replacing.