Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 2000 Out[boat] wagon needs some freshening up!

All right, folks...I need some advice. Some opinions, even. Maybe even knowledge. Here goes:

My 2000 Outback has 137k miles. It runs pretty well. The susupension is pretty haggard (stock stuff). It sounds like a quiet, docile, gutless boxer. It's slow. It handles like an SUV. So here are my questions:

- What should I replace the suspension components with? KYB struts? What about springs? If I were to lift it, where would be the best place to find lift springs? Shocks?

- Engine - it's a pig. I could use a little bit more juice. Now, without rebuilding it with a turbo, etc...what are my options for a bit more pep and some better sound? Intake suggestions? Ar there any that don't suck hot engine bay air? Perhaps a header and cat-back? What should I use?

All right, folks...I need some advice. Some opinions, even. Maybe even knowledge. Here goes:

My 2000 Outback has 137k miles. It runs pretty well. The susupension is pretty haggard (stock stuff). It sounds like a quiet, docile, gutless boxer. It's slow. It handles like an SUV. So here are my questions:

- What should I replace the suspension components with? KYB struts? What about springs? If I were to lift it, where would be the best place to find lift springs? Shocks?

- Engine - it's a pig. I could use a little bit more juice. Now, without rebuilding it with a turbo, etc...what are my options for a bit more pep and some better sound? Intake suggestions? Ar there any that don't suck hot engine bay air? Perhaps a header and cat-back? What should I use?

I wouldn't waist any money on an intake...I'm pretty sure painting flames on the sides of the car would give you the same performance gain.

Dude for the engine check out the deltacams offer - it's a current thread, and it looks like you are a lot closer than I am! http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=85745

I replaced my '00 houseboat struts with GR-2's, replaced the sway bushings and end links, and fitted scorpion lift springs last year. That firmed the ride up quite a bit. The butt end likes to sway a little still, I think it's the mulilink suspension since my earlier soobs don't do that.

Thanks, porc!

Oh, and when speaking of the intake, I wasn't really expecting any great power gains, I mostly just want to hear my little boxer a bit more when she talks to me!

Have you guys ever "swiss cheesed" your intake? I've been hearing some of my buddies talking about it, but I'm pretty skeptical about things like this...

Any other suggestions?

Ah I don't know. I've heard about drilling holes in the airbox too. But then it's going to be sucking in warm/hot air from the engine compartment rather than cooler air from the front.

If you want to really hear your boxer, run some flex tube into the passenger wheel well. The hole is already there. I did it as a test, and man you could really hear the engine pretty loud. Unfortunately intake noise isn't the prettiest sound, it sounded more like a ricer with the farty muffler. When it shifted made a neat sound though. LIke this:

snorkus-00obw1.jpg

Ah I don't know. I've heard about drilling holes in the airbox too. But then it's going to be sucking in warm/hot air from the engine compartment rather than cooler air from the front.

If you want to really hear your boxer, run some flex tube into the passenger wheel well. The hole is already there. I did it as a test, and man you could really hear the engine pretty loud. Unfortunately intake noise isn't the prettiest sound, it sounded more like a ricer with the farty muffler. When it shifted made a neat sound though. LIke this:

I really think that cooler fresh air is somewhat bunk on subarus. The engine compartment isnt so cramped that there is no airflow, unlike other cars. I know from having my mirror temop sensor in the wrong place, that fresh air aint all that cold (especially in summer.... blacktop gets hot).

Personally i think its one of those things that work great for the lab, emission testings and on the test track, but on a day with the sun beating down on the blacktop, doesnt have that much of an effect. I think its more for noise control at this point.

I still have a nice new CAI for Blu, just waiting for the weather to warm up to put it in.

As for suspension, your struts are very tired, that will help handling tremendously, and a thicker sway bar.

nipper

Hm yes not sure, I know from monitoring the scangauge, in the summer in '00obw without the intake snorkus attached, she's pulling 130-150F intake air temp. With the snorkus on it goes down to maybe 90-100F or so.

Typically on my soobs I run without the snorkus in the winter, and with in the summer.

some Carpet Fresh might be nice, and perhaps super gluing one of those old wooden ramp-type incense burners to the dash...

have you tuned it up lately? or just tired of the same old...

i got used struts from a junkyard (they happened to have parts from a 99 that were low mileage) they were 4 for 160 bucks. snatched them up.

i've actually considered sometimes replacing the carpet and door carpets on mine.

i think one subaru dealer said they'd do it for like 350 or something.