Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Exhaust Flex Connection Leaking

98 OBW 180K, I replaced the mid-pipe and now I have a exhaust leak. I Replaced the donut gaskit between the midpipe at the 2nd Cat. Now I have a leak at that flex connection. It can only be tighten so much before the bolts its the midpipe, otherwise I would crank it away. Any tricks here?

Hm..not sure about the flush part. I've only had this issue on one soob, my '00obw. I had to use an air chisel to get all the residue off. Then I wire brushed thoroughly, then applied copius amounts of nickel antisieze, reassembled and it seemed for sure like it would still leak but so far it hasn't.

Snow worries mate,

you are still "da'man"

I just have to say thanks to you for

bringing pictures to our little world!!

Just wish others would show the appreciation

for your time and dedication.

The cat collar area is very corroded and I can't get it fush. But it is tight aroun the pipe section. should the donut sit flush on the cat collar? If it should then I am done, I need a new rear cat....

It shouldn't matter too much. I have had them where the flange totally rotted off the 2nd cat. I used a repair flange with the donut seated against what was left of the old flange and it didn't leak at all.

Your flange might be so rusted and bent it's not pulling the pipes tight enough together. I use a repair flange from autozone, it's like 5 bucks comes with 3/8 bolts and I eliminate the springs. Then you can really tighten the pipes down. If all else fails try some high temp copper silicone behind the donut.

Subaru 360, thats my problem I can't get it tight enough. Any idea what size repair flange I need?

can you put a washer under the head of the bolt so the bolt is shorter or are the springs in the way keeping you from pulling it together. iirc the bolts have a shoulder so you can only tighten it so much.

Subaru 360, thats my problem I can't get it tight enough. Any idea what size repair flange I need?

Yeah it's a 1 7/8-2" split flange. Break off what's left of the ears of the original flange. This will fit behind what's left, the part that the donut sits on. It will come with long 3/8 bolts, use them forget the springs. Then you will be able to get it tight.