Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tranny shifter position on the dash?

Why'd they do away with that on later model imprezas?

1st pic is a lowly 93 impreza L and the 2nd pic is a 97 impreza outback sport (auto). You'd think as the cars get newer they'd ADD more gadgets instead of take em away. :confused: My 96 obs doesn't have it. I find myself looking at the shifter a lot to make sure I'm not in 3rd instead of drive.

08.jpg?w800

814057-33sm.jpg

Actually you start adding up wiring it quickly adds up. It also reduces cost on the dashbaord itself. Add that up over a few 100,000 units it adds up quickly.

nipper

PS its probably more like 1 lb, and at a few connnectors, and 8 bulbs, a plastic lense.

Why'd they do away with that on later model imprezas?

1st pic is a lowly 93 impreza L and the 2nd pic is a 97 impreza outback sport (auto). You'd think as the cars get newer they'd ADD more gadgets instead of take em away. :confused: My 96 obs doesn't have it. I find myself looking at the shifter a lot to make sure I'm not in 3rd instead of drive.

08.jpg?w800

814057-33sm.jpg

Interesting observation.

Probably it's because you can see while your shifting what gear your in.:)

This is the first automatic I have ever shifted at all.

2cnd gear down really steep hill from a stopsign.

Third gear in cruise control down mountain roads.

2cnd gear to do the legal highpark crawl on the way to the dogy park.

Third gear for really aggressive many lane highway 6-8-12 etc,

these people are nuts.

You can really pick what gear is appropriate for you.

The shifter is gated so you can't hit an unsafe safe shifting point even when shifting blind.

I never power shift with it though, just a smooth release of the power.

I guess my point is that with an auto you really can shift your probably looking at the stick when you do!:popcorn:

I also miss the cool little "car" on the dash that would show which door was open and other pertinent info. That was a neat feature!

b5e3_3.JPG

In 88 they had both the auto shifter and the cool car on the dash! Ahhh, the good old days :)

3a03_1.JPG

Look on the bright side for your later model. If you ever do a 5-speed swap, you don't have to worry about swapping clusters.

now this is a reason for removing the indicator from the cluster. they don't have to stock 2 parts, one for manual, one for auto trans. plus, they were buying more of the one maybe lowering their cost per unit. that must have saved them millions.

add that to the "design / style upgrade" every 5 years and presto, no more indicator lights.

I still think the Legacys win for sexiest cluster. We get the transmission indicator thingy AND a little car! Talk about having your cake and eating it too (ooh and the fuel gauge flashes on and off when your low on juice).

251.jpg