Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey newbie here. Have a 03 Legacy Outback with the 4 banger that runs hot, according to the gauge, but does not smell hot, lose any fluid or have any symptoms of overheating. When the temp gauge does start to rise while driving, I have pulled over several times to check fluid level and to make sure the fans are running and all is good. When it started approx. two years ago I took it to a shop and they changed the Head gasket and fluid. After taking it back several times and having them tell me they found something andthey would fix it but as I drove it away the temp would just rise up again. If somebody could give me any suggestions other than to get lost, would be helpful.

ShawnW's offer is clearly the best. But if you're not able to,

How many miles on the car? How many miles on it 2 years ago when you had the work done? Has it been doing this the whole 2 years? How's about your waterpump and thermostat? OEM parts?

Good Luck!

Will-

I would be willing to diagnose it for free if you wanted to come up to Denver....if you think it would make it up here.

PM me for my phone number.

ShawnW, I'll send you a PM. It'll make t up there, as I'm driving down I25 the temp will fluctuate up and down. I won't be able to get it up there till this week.

Are the fin's in the radiator clean? If not I would take it out and wash it out good. Also you might want to try changing the T-stat if this has not already been done.

The fins are clean and the T-stat has been changed, when they changed the Head Gasket, which they said was bad because of their test that was done, wheather or not it was the Hydro-Carbon or the Leak down, I couldn't tell you.

It was one of those situations that my wife took to them because she was getting her oil changed and had them take a look at it and I have been suspecting the Head Gasket given Subaru's history. So I told them to change it along with the T-stat, Timing belt and I know there was something else but can't remember. I'll never have the Subie serviced there again.

Question is was it a factory T stat, thats very important. Aftermarket ones are undersized and don't have enough flow.

Also change the radiator cap.

+1 on Nipper's remark.

My 97 had an issue with the temp rising and falling while driving. It would go as high as 3/4 of the way up.

I stopped and felt the lower radiator hose while it was on the rise and it was stone cold. When it started to drop the hose got warm.

Subaru OEM T-stat fixed the problem.

Even a new OEM could be faulty,

COuld be internal clogging of the radiator.

The cool air intake forces the top hose to connect to the middle of the radiator, and that gives less than optimal flow in the ends of the radiator and they tend to clog.

Rinsing with demin water at every coolant change will keep the rad clean .

COuld be internal clogging of the radiator.

The cool air intake forces the top hose to connect to the middle of the radiator, and that gives less than optimal flow in the ends of the radiator and they tend to clog.

Rinsing with demin water at every coolant change will keep the rad clean .

Demin water :confused: Never heard of it.

+1 on Nipper's remark.

My 97 had an issue with the temp rising and falling while driving. It would go as high as 3/4 of the way up.

I stopped and felt the lower radiator hose while it was on the rise and it was stone cold. When it started to drop the hose got warm.

Subaru OEM T-stat fixed the problem.

Even a new OEM could be faulty,

I don't believe it was an OEM T-stat that was installed. Your right it could be a bad part from stock.

Demin water :confused: Never heard of it.

deminerilized water. Its the water that you put in an iron, a humidifier, or any aluminum engine. It keeps some nasty electro-chemical processes from happening in aluminum engnies that can cause corrosion and clogging of cooling system parts. It's available in supermarkets.

50/50 premix already has this.

nipper