Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Suby doesnt move in any gear......

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When the clutch disc "explodes" it will leave a nice grey "fluff" in the bellhousing. Typical wear leaves a black dust. The fluff will be obvious in the bell.

My 2bits is on the disc going poof. It'll still feel right, but won't engage. It also makes a gawdawful kabang when it goes.

ok i got the trans out today......all i can say is that the clips on the release bearing seem to be intact.....ill hopefully get the clutch off tomarrow and let you guys know what i find.....oh also the input shaft was ok......

ok finally got the pressure plate off....not as bad as i thought.....take a look.......i am assuming this is why my suby was going anywhere.......i just dont understand what could have made this happen.....everything was lined up perfectly....i will note that when i unbolted the pressure plate the pilot bearing fell right out.....

post-23353-136027626948_thumb.jpg

post-23353-13602762695_thumb.jpg

post-23353-136027626953_thumb.jpg

ok finally got the pressure plate off....not as bad as i thought.....take a look.......i am assuming this is why my suby was going anywhere.......i just dont understand what could have made this happen.....everything was lined up perfectly....i will note that when i unbolted the pressure plate the pilot bearing fell right out.....

Call the people you bought the disc from, they may want to know about this. I could tell more If i could see the rivets that held it togehter. May just be a mfg defect. Its unusual to see them seperate like that, usually its the clutch material that goes south when it explodes.

nipper

thanks nipper......the weird thing i found out when i got the P. Plate off was the pilot bearing just feel out.....any recommendations on brands of clutch?.....i dont think i will go with another Sachs.....

How about OE?

check the online suppliers

nipper

If you mean actual Suby parts, I know of

1stsubaruparts.com

but I also found a place through ebay that is a dealer in Colorado,

http://stores.ebay.com/FLATIRONS-ACURA-AND-SUBARU

They have (I think) just as good (oem) prices--better check both.

But then of course, there are the aftermarkets.

I did a search on ebay for you and came up with this kit,

supposed to be by the company that makes parts for Subaru,

I'm sure many on this list would know if they truly are:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUBARU-IMPREZA-LEGACY-FORESTER-89-02-NEW-CLUTCH-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33730QQihZ006QQitemZ160214337055QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

(Of course, you'd have to check out whether if fits your car.)

'97

I'll guess - since I can't see the metal itself and only the pictures (which I can blow up about 400%). Looks like a brittle fracture - probably a latent crack in the plate and just went out all at once.

Was that a rebuilt clutch or a new one? Rebuilts might have been subjected to a lot of heat and taken the temper out of the disk as well.

I'd try to see if they will replace it since it looks like a manufacturing defect from what you showed in the pix No evidence of hardly any wear (and unless you sprayed it, it sure looks clean) Of course, you might not WANT a replacement from them...

yeah i was talking to a few other guys and they also said it sounded like a manu. defect......when i put that clutch in i thought "oh SACHS ive heard of them"....but i guess i will be going with OEM now.....the thing is all i need is the clutch disc.......i just put the pressure plate in and it is still fine also brand new pilot bearing, release bearing (and clips), and flywheel......i really dont want to have to put more money into this car than i have too.......i did see the OE discs for like 80$ on 1stsubaruparts.com but will that match up with my current Pressure plate?.........

I'm just wondering about that pilot bearing falling out when you unbolted the pressure plate. What follows is pure speculation, but I dont see how what happened to your disc can have the effect of extracting the pilot bearing from the flywheel. Is it possible the pilot bearing falling out was the cause of what happened? Why it fell out is another question...

Since I did'nt completely trust myself doing it and since it did'nt raise the cost, when I had my flywheel resurfaced, I asked the shop guy to press in the new pilot bearing.

Is it at all possible ( I dont remember the exact relation of the input shaft and pilot bearing-flywheel) for the pilot bearing to slide back on the input shaft ?

I'm just wondering about that pilot bearing falling out when you unbolted the pressure plate. What follows is pure speculation, but I dont see how what happened to your disc can have the effect of extracting the pilot bearing from the flywheel. Is it possible the pilot bearing falling out was the cause of what happened? Why it fell out is another question...

Since I did'nt completely trust myself doing it and since it did'nt raise the cost, when I had my flywheel resurfaced, I asked the shop guy to press in the new pilot bearing.

Is it at all possible ( I dont remember the exact relation of the input shaft and pilot bearing-flywheel) for the pilot bearing to slide back on the input shaft ?

I missed that. The pilot bearing may have siezed and tore the clutch disc apart. Always replace the pilot bearing when doing a clutch.

nipper

i did that i remember i did....the thing was that the pilot bearing just fell out when i took the pressure plate off...

Inspect the flywheel, it may be the hole for the pilot bearing is too big. Check the pay at the input shaft of the transmission. Something is going on. I think we found the cause of why the disc ripped apart, now the question is why. The disc can not tolerate any forces in the x or y direction, only in the Z direction. The disc got torn apart, it didnt fail on its own.

nipper

in the chiltons manual....all it says to do is lube up the new pilot bearing and drive it into the flywheel with soft faced hammer......again the thing i cant understand was...why was the clutch perfect for almost 10,000 miles than it happened.......i will try that though i remember i fitted it in the flywheel before i drove it in last time but i didnt put on the end of the input shaft.....

The 1996 FSM :

1) drive out ball bearing from flywheel

2) Press bearing into flywheel untill bearing end surface is flush with clutch disc contatc surface of flywheel (flywheel face - nipper). Do not press inner race.

Special tool needed - 899754112 Snap Ring Press.

Maybe it wasnt all the way in?

And yes things wil fail in that manner.

nipper

thanks nipper.....i went to get a price on the clutch and everything from Subaru and all together the pressure plate, clutch disc, and throwout bearing were $350......than i saw an exedy kit with the pilot bearing, alignment tool, clutch disc, pressure plate, and release bearing for $230......have you ever had any experience with Exedy?....everyone i talk to says they are wonderful........thanks again for all your help......

Had the pilot bearing failed prior to the clutch disc, there would have been a vibration in the car. Not a spill your drink type, but a high frequency, buzz. I agree, the disc cannot move up/down, left/right without failing.

My 2bits on the failure is, that as the disc broke it slung around at least once off center, allowing the input shaft to move. This slung the bearings out of the pilot, driving the inner race up on the input shaft.

Check your flywheel and input shaft, make SURE the new pilot fits good & snug.

• 2 weeks later...

ok got the whole trans and everything back together today......took it for a test drive and the clutch seems like to easy to apply.......i got a new clutch cable for it but have yet to install it.....it was dark i think i hooked the clutch cable up wrong.....to tired now and dark....looks like it will have to wait for tomarrow......the clutch i put it was an EXEDY....it was like $400 but you pay for quality.......keep you all updated on what i find tomarrow with my clutch cable....and thanks again everyone for your wealth of information and assistance....:)