Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A guy that works as a tech at the Subaru dealer has a '99 2 door, white 5MT Impreza for sale. Timing belt already been done and has 112K. He is asking $4200 and figured I could work him down to just about 4K. Figured I would start here by asking for any tips to look for that is exclusively for this year of Impreza as it does have the EJ22 in it.

A guy that works as a tech at the Subaru dealer has a '99 2 door, white 5MT Impreza for sale. Timing belt already been done and has 112K. He is asking $4200 and figured I could work him down to just about 4K. Figured I would start here by asking for any tips to look for that is exclusively for this year of Impreza as it does have the EJ22 in it.

All I can say is...BUY IT!!!!! Its the perfect Impreza and most desireable model..a 2 dr 5 spd with the 2.2 ..what is there to question???? I am thinking GC8 kit!!!!:banana::banana::banana:

All that my humble store of knowledge can offer is that the '99 2.2 is an interference engine. But as the belt was just changed and it is a 100k interval, that should be good. Any maintenance records on the car? Can we assume that since it was a subie tech that did the work he also changed the W-pump, T-stat, seals, and pulleys with the T-belt change?

Hope it's as fun for you as my OBW is for me!:banana:

great car and that's a good price. like lost in the 202 said i'd be interested in knowing if the water pump was changed too. not because 100,000 miles is much for a water pump....but 160,000 or 200,000 (the next belt change?) is a lot for a water pump.

the only immediate issues you'll see in the next couple years are probably oil leaks and clutch (depending what shape it's in now and how you drive). not major oil leaks, just seaping from seals - and those can be fixed at the next timing belt change. clutch jobs are rather expensive so be sure to check the clutch.

there's not much more on the market that can give you the reliability of this car and ease of making 200,000+ miles for that cheap.

You guys hit on all the things that I have been thinking about pertaining to the car. The interference engine thing popped into my head first thing when he said what year it was. I remembered Connie owning one and loving the thing. My research on car101 last night noted that it will come with rear drum brakes; when my buddy upgrades his on his 02 WRX, those should bolt right on, correct?

I am hoping the RS came in white so I can put an RS hood on it. My 02 WRX wheels would go as with my STi exhaust. Thanks for the input guys, I am really hoping to get this thing. Anyone want to buy a Lowered 97 Tacoma?

Kyle

You guys hit on all the things that I have been thinking about pertaining to the car. The interference engine thing popped into my head first thing when he said what year it was. I remembered Connie owning one and loving the thing. My research on car101 last night noted that it will come with year drum brakes; when my buddy upgrades his on his 02 WRX, those should bolt right on, correct?

I am hoping the RS came in white so I can put an RS hood on it. My 02 WRX wheels would go as with my STi exhaust. Thanks for the input guys, I am really hoping to get this thing. Anyone want to buy a Lowered 97 Tacoma?

Kyle

Yes they came in white..I see one everyday on my way home from work...and if I am thinking right ..that should be the Aspen White and not the Pearl.

I owned a 93 1.8 btw..but was doing the GC8 conversion in appearance only.

You go with an Impreza and you will no longer be searching for weeks for parts.:burnout:

when my buddy upgrades his on his 02 WRX, those should bolt right on, correct?
i don't think so. due to all the parts needed you should probably read up on the drum swap threads. it's more complicated than just "removing drums" and bolting on a rotor and caliper. more than likely he is just swapping to larger calipers, but for the disc swap you will need more than just calipers to do that swap.

if he's swapping the entire rear hub assembly then you could use those.

It seems like a good car. The previous owner probably took care of it. I wouldn't pay that much, but I'm cheap, it's not a bad price really.

I haven't really priced Imprezas that much around here (I guess I'm an hour from Crossville), and never priced a 2 dr Impreza. $4200 seems a little high unless the car is cherry, especially the interior. Maybe the 2 doors are hard to find and therefore worth more--I dunno. The mileage is pretty good for a car that old,though, and especially if it has been well maintained. The one thing you have going for you is that non-turbo Subarus aren't as much an in-demand vehicle in TN the way they are in CO or PA or such. More of a novelty and just another car to the average Joe. So, that helps you as a buyer. You can always offer him more money after your first price, but you can NEVER go down in price once you toss a number out there. Most people price stuff with the intention of knocking off a little anyway. Offer him $3800 cash and go from there...

Whatever you pay, it sounds like you are going to have a fun little car. :headbang:

Post some pics after you sign the dotted line...

Does it consist of driving in a circle listening to popping?
yes, just drive in a tight circle in a dry parking lot. any binding, braking, chirping, or wheel hopping is bad. you'll feel it, it will feel like it's braking, not smoothly drifting through the turn. keep your steering wheel at full lock and go slow.

and get back to bed!!!!

If you are not happy dont buy it..you will know when the right car comes along

Yeah search out the best deals. Try posting wanted ads with what you want and what you have to spend. That's how I found my wrx. It wasn't much more than that impreza you looked at either.

I just feel that I could have done better. I love a two door car so I am leaning toward a 2.5RS.

Then just wait..and keep looking.Save up and get exactly what you want..tossing $4-5K on something you really arent happy with is not like $4-5 hundred..Dont settle.

Really considering selling the Brat. I am about ready to get out from under the thing. Ready for something with more power and could trust to drive me to hell and back. Legacy developed an oil issue today on the way back from the test drive. I think it is time in my Subaru addiction to quit accumulating old ones and get one or two good ones.