Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1998 is the price to outragous

I found what seems like a very clean 1998 Legacy with only 61,000 original miles with the 2.2l manuel in it? It's with a dealership and there asking 8995 for it. That seemed like quite a bit, i KBB'ed it and they were under the excellent rate from KBB. Has all the power options. Is this a good deal or a rip off. It's up in Wasington too, so there is some drive time. Thanks

its going to need timing belt and seals and a few other things becuase of the low mileage (but the calender never stops).

i think the 98 2.2 is 60,000 mile interval anyway, but either way it's needed.

if it's a dealer they would do a complete tune up - timing belt, water pump, and all that jazz for you if you bargained with them a bit.

that is super expensive, but if you're looking for something with that kind of mileage and a late model EJ22 manual then your market is going to be very small. sadly - i promise they don't have very much in the car!

That should be a solid vehicle provided it has been maintained properly. The price does seem a bit high even being in soob country.

If it has calif. emissions, the timing belt interval is 105k miles or 105 months (so if it hasn't been changed yet it is due to be replaced because of time like nipper said). If it is not calif. emissiosn, the interval is 60k miles or 60 months, in which case it is overdue on both accounts if it hasn't been replaced yet. That would be an interference 2.2L also so if the belt breaks bent valves, etc.

Sometimes if the dealership has a clean trade-in, they'll put it on the lot and let it sit with a rediculiously high price in the hope somebody would bite at the price. They often expect a haggler to stop in and as a last resort the wholesaler will be around to buy it.

Talk to a salesman and he'll usually say "make and offer" because that way they have an idea of how much of your money you are willing to part with. Since they will most likely wholesale a 10 year old car before it sits there too long. Instead, ask them what the least amount would be for you to take it off their hands (like your doing them a favor). Then haggle THAT price.

With the 60,000 service due (even if a CA car they shouldn't argue) and maybe tires etc. you'd would be puting $1500 back into it.

In my opinion, pricing simply comes down to location (demand vs. availability). A 1998 around here is typically priced around 4-6k private party while dealers are 5-7k. Even the cars with blown headgaskets that don't run have prices at 2-3k. I don't know where people find these cheap subies because it's nowhere around here. KBB can be high, but not always. What only matters to the bank is NADA because that's how much they'll loan you. Dealers won't give you squat for a trade, not even the reported trade in value of any book (I've tried several times).

The bigger concern to me is not the price, but the lack of it being driven. NOT driving a car enough can cause as much harm as one with high miles. Seals get try and crack, things rust and sieze up, etc....

I don't know where people find these cheap subies because it's nowhere around here....

Come to the south...especially for a "regular" Subaru.

$9,000 for a '98? I was daydreaming about a Baja the other day while on the web, and several 2003 and 2004 Baja Sports are at that $9,000 mark. Even with low miles, that's a lot for a '98 Legacy. I'd find a clean '95 or '96 for much less. It will be the same body style and will have the non-interference 2.2 and will save you $3,000 to $6,000.

Of course, how cherry the car is can be a factor. A car's interior is always the hardest (and usually expensive) thing to fix up, so if this Legacy has like-new interior, that'd be a plus for it. If the interior and paint look like any other '98, even with low miles, what's the point of a higher price.

So I offered them $6000 for it, and they came back with $6995. Told the guy that was still to much. Where do you think I should draw the line. Edmunds has it for around $5700 from a dealer. Thanks

draw the lines at the 6000 you already offered.

nipper

Like Nipper says, if you really, really want it call them back in 2 weeks and offer $5000. They have already dropped $2000 off as the counter offer. If they want to know what happened to the $6000 you offered last week tell them you've found a comparable for less than $5000 but you'd like this one if they drop the price.

The dealer will try to squeeze as much as they can. They will even say if you're willing to add $500 to the offer they'll take it. If they do offer to meet them halfway at $250. HAGGLE.

I'd bet they have LESS then $3000 TOPS tied up in the car at the moment.

Like Nipper says, if you really, really want it call them back in 2 weeks and offer $5000. They have already dropped $2000 off as the counter offer. If they want to know what happened to the $6000 you offered last week tell them you've found a comparable for less than $5000 but you'd like this one if they drop the price.

The dealer will try to squeeze as much as they can. They will even say if you're willing to add $500 to the offer they'll take it. If they do offer to meet them halfway at $250. HAGGLE.

I'd bet they have LESS then $3000 TOPS tied up in the car at the moment.

You can also mention that too.

nipper