Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm thinking of putting a snow plow from a ATV with an electric motor on my wgn. Has anyone ever heard of it being done? Any suggestions, examples?

I'm only going to plow my driveway with it. I know how hard snow plowing is on a vehcile. Also already saw the red soob with the tall verticle pipes.

Figured OB shocks and big aggressive snow tire all the way around.

man if its a success....please take some pics......:headbang: .....also maybe you could awnser a question i have had for a while....i took a trip out to washington state a while back and i saw a bunch of cars with these black brackets on the front of them that looked like snow plow brackets....they extended across the whole front of the car.....but i saw them on like saturns and everything.......any idea what these black things are for?.......

They are for towing purposes. Towing behind a motor home that is. :grin:

About the snow plow.... I have wanted to do an ATV plow setup on my wagon for a couple years now.

I personally know a guy that used a Geo Tracker plow setup, and with a (custom built) frame... put a snowplow on a Kia Sportage! :eek:

If a friggin SPORTAGE can do it, our subies SURE can :headbang:

man if its a success....please take some pics......:headbang: .....also maybe you could awnser a question i have had for a while....i took a trip out to washington state a while back and i saw a bunch of cars with these black brackets on the front of them that looked like snow plow brackets....they extended across the whole front of the car.....but i saw them on like saturns and everything.......any idea what these black things are for?.......

You may be seeing deer guards too. Lots of people have them around here. Mostly on trucks, but some cars also.

Its a 100% this will destroy the vehicle thing.

I thought we were just talking about plowing a driveway? If you put an ATV plow on (and attached it right) and just did small stuff like your driveway, I dont see why it wouldnt last a reasonable time.

You could GET a plow setup for the early soobs. It wasnt a "Subaru-factory" type accessory... but you could get em.

I set this up using garden tractor plows and a winch.

I used a rear tow hitch frame mount unit from a pick'em up

truck for the main frame.

It attaches to the front tow loops and pivots there.

bratplow.jpg

bratplow.jpg

Skip, That is a thing of beauty!!!:clap::banana: I like it.:headbang:

1. How much plowing did it do?

2. How did the unibody hold?

3. Did the headlights shine over the plow?

4. I'm guessing by the config. of the plow it didn't move side to side?

5. How easy was it to take on and off?

I was thinking a more convetional setup but that looks like it'll work fine on my driveway. It's only about 150' long on a hill one car wide with space to park 4 cars. Maybe i'd use it a few times a year tops, if we get a foot or more or if it'll turn to ice. Thanks for the info.

What did your poor legacy ever do to you? I hate to see people put plows on their 1 ton pickups unless they want to ruin them. Its a 100% this will destroy the vehicle thing. But I guess you know that. It will make for some good photos.

The legecy is just filling in for the OB while I search for a 2.2 at the right price. If I can't find one soon then the legs fate is to be the donor as it has a nice 2.2 in it. But if I can find what I want then I'll give the leg a useful end of life as a plow car. Besides there ain't much that I can't fix!

bratplow.jpg

You guys are amazing. I'm serious, there are loads of plows on trucks around here, and it's just considered a given that you will be constantly breaking your vehicle, repairing it again and again, until you finally junk it and put the plow on something else. I would think it would be worse back east with all that wet heavy snow.

Skip that is one cool looking rig. And you have actually pushed snow with it? Does it articulate to both sides like / and \, and so both blades are forward like <? That's the hot setup around here now.