Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Shifter Knob threads

Very random question, but do our cars share shifter knob threads with any other makes? Reason i ask is i have a line on a shift knob but its not for a Subaru. All i know its its for another japanese car. So i guess do other Japanese cars share shift knob threads with our cars and if so which ones?

Yea i realized that lug nuts were the same thread looking around to see what other japanese brands worked. The guy i have a connection with says its supposely for a nissan/datson. Ive seen a picture of it and it looks like a knob that would have been used on our cars back in the 70s. What do u think. Take a chance and buy it and hope to god its the right size threads?

Just so you guys know this is why i was asking that question. Ive wanted a wooden 5 speed shift knob for some time and this one looks identical to ones in a 74 subaru accessory catalog.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120229425626&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:MOTORS:1123

I just won it for 24 bucks. I figure i did good.

Cool, I always wanted one of them but in a 4 speed for my Brat.

Look at the sellers other auctions. I saw a 4 speed walnut knob like this one.

EDIT. Just looked. I guess i miss-remembered. I found one of the fake-leather ones. Its a 4 speed patern though. Looks really nice. BIN 22 bucks! Cant beat that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-600-4-SPEED-AMCO-SHIFT-KNOB-NOS-RARE-ACCESSORY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ6763QQihZ002QQitemZ120221591577QQtcZphoto

Just looked again and the threads are wrong. I suppose if u wanted it you could buy it and tap it out to 12x1.25.

Hi This is Jerry, i have a B&M Tee shift knob on my hatch and the thread pitch is 1/2 by fine it is real close to the 12mm x 1.25 i use a bunch of loctite on the threads let set over night. I hope i can get it off when i need to. Thanks Jerry

Hi This is Jerry, they are the same size as the lug nuts are and that is 12 mm x 1.25. Thanks Jerry

And I will tell you a die to re-cut threads on your linkage is HARD TO FIND.

I had to hire a motorcycle shop to rethread my rod after I shortened it on the GL as no one it town had a 12mm 1.25 pitch die :mad:

Well i got the shifter knob today. Wouldnt you know it didnt fit :mad: . Too small of threads. So I went all over the place and finally found a machine shop that drilled it out and taped it to 12x1.25. Ten bucks more later I have a spiffy real walnut shift knob. Ohhhhh...yeeeaaahhh:cool: