Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing Belt Kit...ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-1994-Subaru-1-8-GL-DL-Loyale-Timing-Belt-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33625QQihZ012QQitemZ220209014223QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I saw this kit on e-bay and was wondering, does anyone know if it will fit and 87 RX? Are timing belts the same turbo to non? I question the listing of EA82T because it also lists a SOHC (2 belts for SOHC??, im a noob but jeez)

Also any opinions on quality or maybe an alternate source? NAPA wants $300!!, $100 each for the tensioners. I cant even get 2 belts for the price of this kit, so if its good im getting it.

thx

Seems like what I bought when I got the crate eng from a local distributer. He actually had some aftermarket gasket kit and t-belts/tensioners in stock (dont know brand, everything was in crazy japanese/chinese). I picked them up and a few oil filters and a cap and rotor. Those have been replaced but the t-belts and tensioners have been solid so far, im at atleast 40k since the install?

I dont want to say go for it, not knowing anything about the brand. But for the price of the tensioners alone it seems good right? It may be worth just picking it up for them.

i've bought quite a few ebay kits - they've always been great. i've bought EA and EJ stuff and never had a problem with them.

my thinking is that all new components is better than a new timing belt and maybe one new pulley and leaving the rest old (due to costs).

there's always the option of trying to install new bearings (annoying unless you have good connections to finding the right bearings and a machine shop that will do it reasonably) or regrease your existing pulleys, but they're a bit of a pain on the EA82's, the grease seals are hidden on some of them.

They seem fine - I've used two of them and wasn't appaled at the quality of the components. Definitely inexpensive bearings, etc - but the EA82's change interval is so short that as long as you do the whole kit each time it shouldn't be a problem. And for the price you might as well do everything each time.

I wouldn't go and try to run 120k on those cheap bearings, but the price is right for an every 50k maintenance schedule.

GD

Many folks use these in EJ's? I'll be installing a used motor (my first 2.2 for a 2.5 swap) this week.

I was thinking of one of those kits mostly due to the rollers. I can get pretty good prices on TB's and WP's locally.

If I order it tonight or in the morning it should be here about the time I need it - I hope.

For a 95 2.2 - the 83.95 kit - TB and rollers. IIR I pay 30-35 for a Dayco TB for a 2.2 and about 50 for a new WP. But rollers that I can source locally are expensive. At the dealer or Advance. My local guys don't have a listing.

How long would you trust this TB/roller setup?

Anyone have the nerve to install one of these kits on their own 2.5?

Thanks,

Dave

I've got one of that brand's kits in my wagon's EJ motor. I think I put in an OEM belt I'd gotten and kept their belt as my extra. I've been driving my conversion every day since... uh, august or september? No problems. I've suggested the PCIs to other people with no second thoughts.

on an interference engine (any EJ25) i would install the pulleys but probably not the belts. particularly the 105,000 mile timing belt change engines (EJ25). personally i'd stick with Subaru for any interference engine.

i would rather have these new bearings than 10+ year old original bearings. on EJ's you also have the option of regreasing the pulleys. i've done this on EJ (non interference) and EA and ER engines:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50430&highlight=timing+pulley

if you do the EJ22 swap and use a non-interference EJ22 (1996 or earlier), then i wouldn't be as skeptical to try them (and i have).

GG,

I had seen your 'needle grease' procedure some time ago and aquired the needle fitting. I have a few roller's laying around but haven't actually tried it yet. The last motor I did was a 2.5 and I didn't want it to be a guinea pig after the work and money that went into it.

I was thinking of one of these kits mostly because of the rollers. I can't buy the rollers for near what they want for the whole kit. My quotes are running about twice as much just for the rollers as this whole kit is.

Waper pumps don't seem to be any great deal.

I will be installing a non-interference 2.2 - from a 95 Auto. Guess I'll give it a whirl.

Thanks folks for the feedback.

Dave

I got one these sets awhile ago but was kinda lazy to put it on. I pulled my motor a couple days ago for a quick reseal and decided to slap the new belts and stuff on. Next day, I ended up driving it down to Oregon (about 260 miles one way) and back the following day and never did I have any problems.