Ultimate Subaru Message Board

504 pug balancing.

So the tire shop I got my new tires from couldn't balance my 504 Pugs cause of the lack of center hole.

I tried the airsoft BB trick (about 6 onces in each, I checked a chart from a balance bead manufacturer) that all the 4X'ers are talking about on other boards.

But that didn't seem to do very well either. (helped, but not good enough)

And if I go over 40 it feels like it's gonna tear itself apart.

Any suggestions?

I'm gonna call some tire shops and describe the wheels and see if they can do it tomarrow. But I thought I'd ask somewhere where people have used the rims before first. :)

Call a peugeot guy and ask. There is at least on in every major city. Or go 505 pugs.

Yeah I'll have to look for a shop around here. Gotta be one. :)

As for going to 505's I always wanted to but no $$$ for them now. And I seemed to have a hard enough time getting ahold of any Pugs and was extatic when I finally was able to at least get ahold of 504's for a good price. At least I have 14's now. And the money went towards completing a Brat, so I helped someone out. :)

Scoured all my phone books.

Unless I just start calling every single number in there, I have no clue who the Peugeot guy is in Portland... :-\

I'll keep poking around, one is bound to turn up.

Already started calling tire shops. No luck there either.

Gusss my Soob is a "keep it under 40" kinda car for now.

So I'll be the one on the freeway with my hazards on..... :lol:

Well I'm sorry to bring this one back up.

But Big-O could not balance my wheels. They have a lug adapter, but still need a center hole big enough for the shaft on the machine to go through.

And every shop I've talked to can't for the life of them think of a Peugeot guy/shop that still exists in Portland.

So it's all under 40mph for me.

Til I can afford to have them balanced on the car at a big rig shop over in NE Portland. Kind of a dyno type setup.

man there is a peugeot shop out in north portland right kind of off hwy 30 heading west.

for the life of me i can't remember how i found him before but i could find it if i was driving out that way.

if i make it out into that end of the world before you figure out your problem i will swing by and get the name.

I am not familiar with these wheels, but could you just drill a hole in the centre to let the machine do its thing?

It has a small square hole in the center.

Would just be a problem with keeping the hole centered. I was thinking the same thing but I would again have to take it somewhere to have it done as I don't have a big enough drill, nor could I keep the hole centered as the bit grabbewd at that square hole. More $$$ spent. I'll just wait till I can get to the right shop that can handle them. :)

But yeah, it crossed my mind.

man there is a peugeot shop out in north portland right kind of off hwy 30 heading west.

for the life of me i can't remember how i found him before but i could find it if i was driving out that way.

if i make it out into that end of the world before you figure out your problem i will swing by and get the name.

Cool thanks. :)

That actually gives me more ammo on finding the shop as well.

I was told that it would proly be a good cost to have it done by the big rig shop. (still need to find out it's name as well)

So a Pug shop that can handle them would be rockin.

My Fiance lives in that area, I can take a look around saturday. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah I'll have to look for a shop around here. Gotta be one. :)

As for going to 505's I always wanted to but no $$$ for them now. And I seemed to have a hard enough time getting ahold of any Pugs and was extatic when I finally was able to at least get ahold of 504's for a good price. At least I have 14's now. And the money went towards completing a Brat, so I helped someone out. :)

So, noob question, but I'm just wondering why people like those pug 504 and 505's for thier subies. Are they bigger than the stock ones? better?

So, noob question, but I'm just wondering why people like those pug 504 and 505's for thier subies. Are they bigger than the stock ones? better?

The 505/504's are 14". You can find the alloys in 15".

And as you can tell from this thread the 504's are hard to get balanced due to lack of center hole. Plus they take odd lugnut and washer combos to mount right.

If you want to take your Soob off-road, you are able to find alot more tire choices than with the stock 13"ers.

I have some 26" mud&snow tires on mine right now without a lift.

If I lifted it I could go into some 27" all terrains.

You can find alot more info on it here: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=49966

:)

So the tire shop I got my new tires from couldn't balance my 504 Pugs cause of the lack of center hole.

I tried the airsoft BB trick (about 6 onces in each, I checked a chart from a balance bead manufacturer) that all the 4X'ers are talking about on other boards.

But that didn't seem to do very well either. (helped, but not good enough)

And if I go over 40 it feels like it's gonna tear itself apart.

Where did you get the info chart for the ammount of ounces for your tire? Was it listed by size, and type/manufacturer of tire, or how?

The only reason I ask is that 6 ounces seems to be a bit much for any tire that's going to fit on a Sub. Most every source I have found seems to say 3 ounces for tires around 235/75/15s and under.

I could see going more for a tire like a Swamper, or something similar, but 6 ounces seems like alot. Just wanted to let you know, you may want to recheck your information. It may be a simple problem like that, and everyone I know that has used BB's loves it.... and I've seen them used on 38s and bigger with amazing results.

Good Luck!!!:burnout:

Where did you get the info chart for the ammount of ounces for your tire? Was it listed by size, and type/manufacturer of tire, or how?

The only reason I ask is that 6 ounces seems to be a bit much for any tire that's going to fit on a Sub. Most every source I have found seems to say 3 ounces for tires around 235/75/15s and under.

I could see going more for a tire like a Swamper, or something similar, but 6 ounces seems like alot. Just wanted to let you know, you may want to recheck your information. It may be a simple problem like that, and everyone I know that has used BB's loves it.... and I've seen them used on 38s and bigger with amazing results.

Good Luck!!!:burnout:

I found a chart here: http://www.innovativebalancing.com/

They only went down to 27" tires, 15" wheels. I used what they said for those. (Mine are about 26")

And everywhere I read said adding more wouldn't hurt.

Proly should have looked up other charts and not just trusted the first one I ran across. But it was getting frustrating and I just wanted it fixed now sorta thing. hehe

But I went and solved my problem by just hitting the wrecking yard and picking up a set of 505's for about $30. Now they are balanced no problem. :grin: And no more crazy lug/washer action! :headbang:

I just looked at thier site again, they added to thier charts. 205/75/14 takes 2 oz. DOH! :) (in the trailer chart)

I don't know if it is still done, but in the 80's one tire shop I worked at could ballance the tire on the car.

Yeah there's a truck shop in Portland over somewhere by PIR that can do that. Some kind of old dyno balancer. I guess it's $$$ to have it done there though.

• 2 weeks later...

i know you ended up getting your balancing thing figured out but i found that shop i was talking about. and now that i look at the picture that i posted i was in the wrong area.

but for future reference here is the name and number of the place.

0408081328.jpg

i know you ended up getting your balancing thing figured out but i found that shop i was talking about. and now that i look at the picture that i posted i was in the wrong area.

but for future reference here is the name and number of the place.

0408081328.jpg