Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The answer is too often the same - "EJ it"

I was planning to reply to several posts in another user's thread (which lead to me writing all of this) but I thought it more appropriate to post it as my own thread instead of possibly turning theirs into :Flame:

Ok. I love all my family here on the USMB. I love the tips, the funny comments, and the freely offered opinions and advice.

THAT BEING SAID. . . this whole "run an EJ or you aren't cool" mentality is really discouraging to those of us without a bottomless bank account(and more than slightly aggravating, especially when it is stated sooo frequently) and/or the desire to do an engine swap . . .

EJ motors are not nearly as inexpensive as an EA, I'm not sure where that whole misconception got started. Pull-a-part's aside, an imported EJ is always more expensive than an EA. Then start to tally up the price differences between bolt on improvements, computer tuning, and OEM replacement parts . . . $$$$$$$$$$$

While not impossible, an EJ swap is not necessarily easy for everyone (especially the wiring)

EJ's have not been without fault, how many "time for HG's on a 2.5" threads have there been?

Some of us are really just into this for fun with the EA82T's (not trying to make 500hp, not concerned with daily driver reliability, etc.)

If everyone started substituting engines because of inherent issues with OEM's, there would be not such thing as a Wankel rotary engine, IMO one of the most unique, fun, and problematic items the auto industry has ever seen . . .

Seriously, the worst part (for me anyway) is the discouragement felt when I ask for assistance with something EA related (or see someone else's requests) and someone (or several people, especially more experienced members who have the answers on EA's) basically tell you that you're wasting your time and theirs by asking about a "redheaded stepchild" of an engine- instead of making more useful, educated, and helpful posts.

This forum was started by those with an appreciation for EA based products long before I came along, what happened???

All of that said, thank you one and all for the help provided, especially those who continue to offer assistance once it has been made clear that no EJ swap will happen.

Chris

Dont feel bad. I'm still into the EA's mostly because I'm a stubborn old fart :grin:

The EJ's have become the lastest "fad". Once the bugs were worked out, its the cool thing to do. The more its done and as time goes by, the cheaper it will be to do. Theres all kinds of pro's and con's for the swap, but I prefer to keep mine authentic (To a point. My Hatch isnt all original)

I've got Soobs with both engines, and I love both. I think if I had the money, and if the 82T were to take a dive, I might do the swap. But since I don't have the moola, and Murph, other than needing some resealing to stop oil leaks, has been running great since I got the dual core radiator.

If you want to keep and play with an EA82 fine. But if people come asking how can I increase HP in my EA82t people have to reply with that its a bad idea if you just want to go fast. Because it is. EA82's aren't a performance engine. EJ's get way more power reliably and to most thats what the want. To some, yes, they want to have fun only. But for those they can make that clear. Once you say I don't want to do an engine conversion most people will shut up and those who don't should just be ignored.

I have an original EA81 dual carb motor with the larger exhaust ports and flipped valves. I know it won't get as much as a standard EJ22 EVER but that isn't going to stop me trying to squeeze the most out of it for fun. I don't even have anything to put it in, thats how much I want to do it just for fun.

I know you'll get some die hard EA82t fans saying that there is nothing wrong with the timing belts, crappy designed heads that blow head gaskets easy and believe they are th best engine ever. But in my mind the EJ is a far supiroir engine and if you want power, it is the choice. My conversion took a lot of time but only cost and twice as much as just replacing my old EA81.

Of cause conversions aren't for everyone. I had many, many problems after getting mine on the road. But my dad is one of those fix it on the side of the road guys and so I am of cause.

If you want to keep and play with an EA82 fine. EJ's get way more power reliably and to most thats what the want. To some, yes, they want to have fun only. But for those they can make that clear. Once you say I don't want to do an engine conversion most people will shut up and those who don't should just be ignored.

I know you'll get some die hard EA82t fans saying that there is nothing wrong with the timing belts, crappy designed heads that blow head gaskets easy and believe they are th best engine ever.

I never have, and never will make any claim that the EA82T is "the world's best motor, in the world" (haha Jeff) and I don't think anyone who really knows engines would say that either (even the die hards).

It was a good evolution of the boxer engine, and it's easy and fun to wrench on.

I don't like to ignore people, especially when they are some of the most knowledgeable folks here . . . :-\

(Keep in mind that i have no experience with EJ motors)

For me it seems like people go for the ej swap becaue its a better motor to start out with. Better hp rateing and better aftermarket following. People are telling you that you would be better off and money ahead if you just ej swap. I have an ea motor in my wagon and for what i use it for its perfect. Leaks oil, less hp then a sewing maching but for daily comuter its fine. If you want performance an ej is just the way to go. Ive heard way to many horror stories about headgaskets in the ea turbo. The swap seems fairly straightforward for a novice but someone who isnt used to it it can be a challange. Its all in what you are willing to do. Im positive you can pick up a legacy with a ej motor in it for 800 or less even with all the computer mumbo jumbo. And if you want an automatic transmission the ejs come with the 4 speed auto. Its just win win. I was told this buy someone once. If you want it to run and get you to a to b dont mess with it. If you want to have speed, torgue, then your going to have problems. Depending on what you want to do but my ea motor is left stock and works just fine with 200thou on the clock.

Ben

The first thing that strikes me is that you're in the best part of the country to find an EJ22 engine at a negligibly higher cost than an EA82. The adapter plate and clutch are often the most expensive part of the job. The wiring is not that bad with a good attitude and the Kennedy diagram.

Second, "EJ it" almost ALWAYS refers to the EJ22 which has no infamous problems such as the EJ25's headgaskets. The EJ22 is comparable to the EA81 for simplicity and reliability.

Third, bolt-on and computer tuning aren't necessary when running an EJ22 in an EA car. Cost-wise, you're looking at about the same as you would for the same part for an EA car, except that those don't exist (for practical purposes). OEM parts will be more expensive but auto parts stores carry all of the major things (although some parts, such as the water pump IIRC were late to be available).

Fourth - there's nothing wrong with preferring the original engine. While much is made of the EA82's "disadvantages," that DOES arm you with a lot of knowledge to care for it as best as you can. Running and maintaining a vintage engine for its own sake is a time-honored practice in the car hobby (in case anyone here didn't know that :lol:).

It's your car, you can do whatever you want with it. Some people know what they want, some people want to be told what's best for their car based on certain criteria (budget? high-performance? has it been done before? how much work/$$ to repair?).

Good luck!

THAT BEING SAID. . . this whole "run an EJ or you aren't cool" mentality is really discouraging to those of us without a bottomless bank account(and more than slightly aggravating, especially when it is stated sooo frequently) and/or the desire to do an engine swap . . .

If you don't want to do an EJ swap, then buy an EJ based vehicle. No need to do a swap at all. Gen 1 Legacy's are cheap as dirt now.

EJ motors are not nearly as inexpensive as an EA, I'm not sure where that whole misconception got started. Pull-a-part's aside, an imported EJ is always more expensive than an EA. Then start to tally up the price differences between bolt on improvements, computer tuning, and OEM replacement parts . . . $$$$$$$$$$$

Either way you are talking about a 15 to 20 year old motor. Price differences are negligable. If you can't afford mods to one, then you can't afford mods to the other - you just can't afford mods. Perhaps a different line of work....

People come here because they are frustrated or to get opinions. People like me generally give anwsers in the best intrest of saving their money and time. If you are into wasting either or both, then you shouldn't ask me, or anyone else here - you should be able to accomplish that on your own.

While not impossible, an EJ swap is not necessarily easy for everyone (especially the wiring)

Wireing is ubiquitous - repair, modification, old, new - it's all the same. Automotive wireing is something you need to learn if you intend to work on cars effectively.

EJ's have not been without fault, how many "time for HG's on a 2.5" threads have there been?

People never swap those into EA's - they swap the EJ22's. The EJ22 is nearly flawless to 300k - almost always.

Some of us are really just into this for fun with the EA82T's (not trying to make 500hp, not concerned with daily driver reliability, etc.)

If everyone started substituting engines because of inherent issues with OEM's, there would be not such thing as a Wankel rotary engine, IMO one of the most unique, fun, and problematic items the auto industry has ever seen . . .

If that's what you consider fun.... perhaps Heroin is for you.

Seriously, the worst part (for me anyway) is the discouragement felt when I ask for assistance with something EA related (or see someone else's requests) and someone (or several people, especially more experienced members who have the answers on EA's) basically tell you that you're wasting your time and theirs by asking about a "redheaded stepchild" of an engine- instead of making more useful, educated, and helpful posts.

Specifically that's almost always in reference to "modding" the EA82 Turbo. Other EA's are treated with the respect they deserve. The EA82T has earned it's poor reputation, and I for one wouldn't shed a tear if they were all junked.

This forum was started by those with an appreciation for EA based products long before I came along, what happened???

You won't see anyone downing the "true" EA engines (pushrod). They were all excelent motors. It's the stop-gap EA82 (EJ series began development in '85 - EA82's were just EA81's with poorly designed OHC's) that is treated this way..

All of that said, thank you one and all for the help provided, especially those who continue to offer assistance once it has been made clear that no EJ swap will happen.

I generally ignore EA82T posts. But that's my preference. I don't dislike the EA82 body series, but I think that most times severe problems would be best solved by either ripping the thing out and replacing it with an EA81, or EJ22(T), or by just buying an EA81 or EJ22 vehicle.

That's my veiwpoint, and that's the beauty of forums. I don't quite understand posts such as this ranting about veiwpoints that aren't going to be changed. Offer up your opinions, and leave it at that. People ask questions here to get the opinions of others. Just because they differ from your's doesn't mean they shouldn't be posted. Opinions are what forums are all about.... now blatantly incorrect, false, or misleading information is another thing entirely.

GD

The EA82 engine is, by far, the worst engine subaru has ever made. That being said, in the grand scheme of things, it's still a pretty darn good motor.

but you can't beat the cost, power, and reliability upgrade of an early EJ22e. it's really not an expensive swap, and for the money you save in the long run by having a substantially more reliable car, I don't know why you wouldn't do it.

when you're talking about just repairing, and getting tons of miles out of your STOCK EA82, I would very rarely suggest a swap. it's a big project. but if you're talking about performance at all, there's no question. when a stock non-turbo EJ22e gets the same power as a stock EA82t.......with a billion times the aftermarket support and reliability.......huh

As someone new here, somewhat new to subarus, and someone who just posted a thread about building an EA82t, my opionion is, after hours of research here, telling people to do the EJ swap is the best advice you can give someone who wants more power. For those that want a little more power, there is some good advice out there, but i know, and many people dont, but need to know, reliability tends to suffer when you start making lots of power, And not just on EA. But that said, some, like me, can affort to play with an EA, see what i can do, blow it up, then swap. But my i dont need my car to get to work. So, IMHO, It needs to be taken into account what people do, and want to do with there car. If they want a reliable DD, they put 50k a year on, leave it stock, or EJ it. If like me, you just want to mess with a old car when you have 2 others to drive, go ahead and experiment, but know odds are good, you will blow up an engine or two...

As someone new here, somewhat new to subarus, and someone who just posted a thread about building an EA82t, my opinion is, after hours of research here, telling people to do the EJ swap is the best advice you can give someone who wants more power. For those that want a little more power, there is some good advice out there, but i know, and many people dont, but need to know, reliability tends to suffer when you start making lots of power, And not just on EA. But that said, some, like me, can afford to play with an EA, see what i can do, blow it up, then swap. But my i dont need my car to get to work. So, IMHO, It needs to be taken into account what people do, and want to do with there car. If they want a reliable DD, they put 50k a year on, leave it stock, or EJ it. If like me, you just want to mess with a old car when you have 2 others to drive, go ahead and experiment, but know odds are good, you will blow up an engine or two...

Crazy Squirrels, it was your thread that got me "fired up" about this last night. That being said, I'm glad that after your own research (as apposed to the overwhelming "EJ it" response that you received) you've come to your own conclusions (basically the same decision I have- build the piss out of an EA, and when/if it grenades, replace it with an EJ). As has been stated, the beauty of the forums is that when information is requested, so many different options/opinions are offered, it just seemed to me at the time that instead of answering questions about a car and parts that you already owned, the only response you were getting (as has been the experience of many before you) was "EJ it"

:headbang:

chris

Maybe you just don't get it. I like most people on this board like the style of the older cars but realize the advantages of newer technology. Its not just subarus a lot of us have done engine upgrades on other vehicles. With the brat (and my bronco) the designs have been discontinued but we still want these cars and we want them to run/perform as if they were new:burnout:

seriously, this is what i mean. . . ^^

i must not be drinking the right kool-aid :dead:

" . . . you just don't get it . . ."

:rolleyes:

you are not making it perform as new, you are trying to make it perform as newer than what you own . . .

like i've mentioned before, i compare "the swap" to buying a Shelby Cobra re-creation, a Porsche 356 replica, buying a RX-7 and putting a 350 in it . . . about the only thing i agree with Mr. "i'man*********************" about is that if you want an EJ, go buy one . . . except in it's original packaging, you know, those ugly bread box wagons and boring honda accord wannabe lego's

chris

If you can't afford mods to one, then you can't afford mods to the other - you just can't afford mods. Perhaps a different line of work....

like what, being a mechanic?, nah i prefer to do what i do . . .

If you are into wasting either or both, then you shouldn't ask me, or anyone else here - you should be able to accomplish that on your own.

please dear rump roast, tell me what a waste of my money is . . . since you know so little about it . . .

If that's what you consider fun.... perhaps Heroin is for you.

seriously, this is level of your advice, do drugs?!

and I for one wouldn't shed a tear if they were all junked.

I generally ignore EA82T posts. But that's my preference. GD

I would like to respect you for you abundance of knowledge, but it seems that you cannot or will not share that knowledge without first belittling those who do not share your opinions and that is regrettable.

Congratulations GD, you've once again lived down to your self-denigrating description, you are an a##(and apparently the only one on this forum allowed to use swear words, well done!)

chris

i apologize in advance for being so long-winded, but just for the sake of conversation...

i loved my 83 wagon (long gone now), i love my 84 hatch (even despite my troubles with it and the fact that the overwhelming majority of my time with it its been in pieces), and i'd never consider an ej swap for my hatch.

my legacy is a nice vehicle with it's high and low points, but if i were ever to ej an ea car it would be because i already had my hatch restored cherry with it's good ol ea81, another 83 wagon all lifted and mad max status, and my dodge dart finished, too.

and in regards to the dart, it has a 2bbl polyhead 318 V8 with a pushbutton shifted 727 trans. in the mopar world (as in most auto circles) theres really only a few groups groups: the nostalgics, the speed freaks, the off roaders and everyone else.

the mopar nostalgic would meticulously restore that polyhead & 727 with all mopar parts and use factory paint schemes, decals, filters, etc. this is what i'd love to do if i had the $20k+ it'd take!

the mopar speed freak would yank that tired hunk of iron out, spit on it, sell it for $100 w/ tranny and drop in either a 413 wedge or classic hemi w/ a late 727 or a new srt viper V10/6speed/drivetrain - depending on budget, of course.

the mopar off roader would sell the whole car for a power wagon.

anybody else would just do what it takes to be seen cruising that sweet ride, which is probably where i belong by way of budget restraint.

i'll eventually rebuild that polyhead and pushbutton then give it the affection/mods it deserves, but in the meantime i'm planning on dropping a greasy pick-n-pull tbi 360 smallblock and cable shifted 727 in there from whatever truck or van ends up having one that looks worth the price, factory manifolds and all for a few reasons: for the price it's the most hp i'll get, mods for a mopar la smallblock grow on trees, newer design is a bit more reliable and much lower maintenance, and i'll actually get better mileage that way, too.

i guess my opinion is that it doesn't really matter what anybody says if you know what you want, but if you don't know what you want there's other questions that should be a higher priority. and relax, there's always somebody or somewhere else to find out what you need to know - subaru's have proven much easier to find info and parts for than old mopars! i've been looking for a straight, no-rust tailgate for my dart wagon for over a year now...with NO results at any point.[/Quote]

i'm a newbie mopar freak myself, so, point understood! (to each their own . . .) i love the line about the mopar off road freaks b.t.w. LMAO!

Hey Audio_file....Being probably the most sensitive member of the board..I really didnt see anything anyone said to be upsetting..The whole EJ thing is all what people are looking to do with the car. What I mean is ( I have a pretty good classic muscle car background) If you want to keep your numbers matching..then you stay stock..but if it really doesnt matter..but you like the look or have a sentimental attachment..but just really want to improve...then you do just that.

IE My 83 GL-10 coupe..is going to be restored so numbers match...except when I can get everything together I am getting rid of the Hitcrappy and going weber. There will be no 4WD swaps..because in these parts..that car is a rare little gem.( but not on the other coast).

Now say I had something with the EA82T ..with what I now know about thm..and this car was a DD and I need to depend on it..The first time those head gaskets go..its EJ time..But if I was just going for a restore and keep for showing ..then it would be kept original.

I know how tired I got waiting for parts for my daily runners..a week wait just for plug wires. Now me personally ..I am not a fan of the looks of the early Legos for example..but the motor is bullet proof..I like the looks of the EA82 wagons better..the perfect car IMO would be an EA82 wagon with the EJ power plant..Its all just personal preference.

I think the reason many suggest it ...is cause they have gotten the swap mastered and its documented on the board...and the majority asking the questions are looking to keep their DD dependable and its just second nature for us to suggest EJ swap..Or we get people wanting to get ( like mentioned) more power out of something..that can't just be done cause of the design of the motor.

As for rump roast. That's hardly a cuss word, and the title was given to him by a prominent staff member. Trust me, we are aware of his title. ;)

I willingly changed it to that based on the sugestion of a prominent staff member ;). But yes - that's is basically correct. Just to clarify though - I can change it at any time. Sadly, I rather like it :rolleyes:

And as Zap pointed out - rump roast is not a swear word in the sense I'm using it. It's draws a correlation between myself and a certain stubborn animal.... I am not using it to insult anyone. It's also not censored by the board.

GD

Zap and Bucky, thank you for your words of wisdom!

i completely understand that in many situations the EJ is a great way to go. when it boils down to it, the main issue i have is the lack of any balance to the equation. . .

with many appreciated exceptions, when a question is asked about an EA82, the overwhelming answer is to dump it.

i am one of those few mentioned who would like to experience my 87 RX as it was when it was new, with it's original engine (maybe a few tweaks - larger turbo anyone?:) ) and i really just would appreciate tips and suggestions on the best ways to deal with this engine's quirks (faults, whatever). i know that thats different to many, but there's a few others like me who get frustrated when donkeys tell us in their one and only suggestion that our powerplant is a turd not worth polishing . . . ya know?

I could not give a better example than Squirrel's thread, check it out if you like . . .

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=86245

its a bitty hijack. delete if you like but i don't understand you topic nazi guys. do you have add or something that you can't stand to let a conversation take it's course?

He's not a topic Nazi - he's a moderator, and it's his job around here. This is a post about EA series Subaru's - it's fine to use examples of other vehicles where applicable, but continue your side-conversations through PM or in off-topic. I don't care to hear about Mopars here either - I'll go to a Mopar forum for that.

GD

i really just would appreciate tips and suggestions on the best ways to deal with this engine's quirks (faults, whatever). i know that thats different to many, but there's a few others like me who get frustrated when donkeys tell us in their one and only suggestion that our powerplant is a turd not worth polishing . . . ya know?

"Dealing" with it involves fixing it a LOT, and replacing it a LOT. If that's he answer you are wishing for, then POOF - you get your wish.

The "quirks" aren't "fixable" without redesigning major components. If you can do that or afford to pay someone to do it, then there's no reason to ask for help here - there's no one here that hasn't come to the conclusion that it's a waste of time and money.... the one die hard EA82 lover we had was banned because he was crazy (quite literally), and even were he here he couldn't help you due to his mental illness. :lol:

The problem is that you are refusing to accept the best help we can give you. I understand that you don't like to hear it, but from experience - myself, and many others here have found that there is NO way to deal with the quirks of that engine within the scope of a reasonable budget, and with parts readily availible. What you are failing to understand is the years, and years of tinkering that the members of this board represent - if we had good answers for you, then you would have seen them already, and people wouldn't be doing the EJ swaps. Face reality - you (unknowingly I bet) made a poor choice with respect to the power-plant in your vehicle. The RX is a cool little body style, and as with a lot of cars, people often buy them based on looks without realizing what they have got themselves into. Just accept it and move on. Do more research next time - know what you are getting into. RX's and some other EA82T's change hands like most people change underwear - it's because of that engine - it drives people to the verge of insanity.

GD

Zap and Bucky, thank you for your words of wisdom!

i completely understand that in many situations the EJ is a great way to go. when it boils down to it, the main issue i have is the lack of any balance to the equation. . .

with many appreciated exceptions, when a question is asked about an EA82, the overwhelming answer is to dump it.

i am one of those few mentioned who would like to experience my 87 RX as it was when it was new, with it's original engine (maybe a few tweaks - larger turbo anyone?:) ) and i really just would appreciate tips and suggestions on the best ways to deal with this engine's quirks (faults, whatever). i know that thats different to many, but there's a few others like me who get frustrated when donkeys tell us in their one and only suggestion that our powerplant is a turd not worth polishing . . . ya know?

I could not give a better example than Squirrel's thread, check it out if you like . . .

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=86245

There are things that can be done. The benefits are very small. The cost is usually expensive in relation to the benefit received. Bigger turbos stress the already prone to explode head gaskets. Bigger exhaust helps but then you are dealing with the extra and higher noise levels. Tune it, fix the oil leaks, drive it, then modify it(EJ22/T or EJ20). Search for WJM or Tex's posts on the subject.

I understand what audio_file is saying.

We have a lot of Subaru knowledge/experts here; I would speculate some of the best on the planet. And I appreciate those trying to advise fellow members of better choices.

However, that being said, some of have limited funds, skills, or facilities to perform such tasks. Then some of us live in smog-nazi states, and do not want to go to the BAR for a waiver. Or maybe we are performing a restoration.

We may just want advice on original equipment.

So for me, I welcome the suggestion ONCE, then if I say no thanks, lets focus on the SUBARU problem. Digressing into Mopar analogies et. al., belongs in another thread topic or BBS.

Besides, everyone knows the EJ22T is the best motor ever, and every USMB thread should start with

"I don't have an EJ22T, but help me anyway". LOL j/k r/ PK. :Flame: