Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The answer is too often the same - "EJ it"

I just have to add that my RX never ceases to amaze me when I drive it down a logging road. Throw it in low, and it is always in its power band, it handles like a go-cart, never misses a beat. Everytime I get irritated with that car, I should just drive up a mtn road again.

RX meet? I'm down

Zap and Bucky, thank you for your words of wisdom!

i completely understand that in many situations the EJ is a great way to go. when it boils down to it, the main issue i have is the lack of any balance to the equation. . .

with many appreciated exceptions, when a question is asked about an EA82, the overwhelming answer is to dump it.

i am one of those few mentioned who would like to experience my 87 RX as it was when it was new, with it's original engine ............

..........when donkeys tell us in their one and only suggestion that our powerplant is a turd not worth polishing . . . ya know?

I completely agree.

EJ swaps are great for Offroad or Performance. But there is no reason to do a swap for a DD.

The EA82 is a dependable motor. It get's a terrible wrap around here. But there is no reason it can't be reliable. The majority of the problems with them are from high miles with poor maintainance. Even the EA82Ts can serve as DDs wonderfully if cared for. Mine has been my DD for 3 years now. With a half rump roast bottom end and big crack between the valves.

Perhaps I am to be proclaimed the new greatest EA82 lover? And Crazy?

My reply is if it aint broken dont fix it but if it works and it only needs little repair fix the minor repair when all is said and done the motor will need a swap or a better motor some day.

But on another note there are a chosen few that need to be different My wife owns a 1966 plymouth with a 318 poly it is a semi hemi engine it cost great amounts for modifying it to a 401 stroker because everyone tosses these engines away without avail for the better improved engine and then no one takes interest in the one sitting in it they just swap.

Everyone has a opinion I built up my wifes poly from 230 horse to 330 horse and have plans to strke another which has low mileage and was getting thrown out for a 440.

Which brings me back to the point. Why have a one tracked mind about things this is a subaru sight for god sakes we are lifting wagons and hatchback and brats 10 20 years or so people did the same to be different

they put in ground cams and smaller stroke pistons and longer stoke pistons everyone has a opinion but others have their opinion and I say dont just drop their dreams of trying to do something and to revert to something else if that was the case I would have bought a toyota 4 runner for the family wheeler or a samurai because of the availabilty of parts and engine displacement or availability of the lifts made but I didnt I picked my slow a@@ subaru I take pride in driving around with my family in. It is reliable and who needs speed its lifted Im not looking to break speed records or climb the biggest hill climb like bigfoot.

I have the perfect trail rig that can follow the best of the 4 runners and still squeeze through the same trail as a sami with the reliability of the subaru engine ea81 ea82 ea71 ej2.2 ej2.5 ej2.0 it is all subaru we all live with them and have worked on versions of all years pick your engine If you dont like it save money buy something else to put in.

All Im saying is dont put down things here thats not the right thing to do who knows I could bore and stroke one of these e82s one day just for the hell of it.

Dont knock it til you try it

peace

I just have to add that my RX never ceases to amaze me when I drive it down a logging road. Throw it in low, and it is always in its power band, it handles like a go-cart, never misses a beat. Everytime I get irritated with that car, I should just drive up a mtn road again.

RX meet? I'm down

today i put the seats and belts back in (after removing everything to get the moldy carpet out) and took the car (still in "fresh from years in a field condition) on a little romp . . . that car is sooo much fun! even with that snail shell sized turbo, with no heat (no thermostat), no carpet, an exhaust leak, and the TOD, and the 13" wheels with massive marshmellow tires- it's hard to describe why exactly, but it was such a fun drive!!

:headbang:

chris

today i put the seats and belts back in (after removing everything to get the moldy carpet out) and took the car (still in "fresh from years in a field condition) on a little romp . . . that car is sooo much fun! even with that snail shell sized turbo, with no heat (no thermostat), no carpet, an exhaust leak, and the TOD, and the 13" wheels with massive marshmellow tires- it's hard to describe why exactly, but it was such a fun drive!!

:headbang:

chris

Huh????? you should still get some heat. Otherwise I suspect there is a problem.

Huh????? you should still get some heat. Otherwise I suspect there is a problem.

oh yeah, it gets up to the 2nd or 3rd bar on the digidash, blows out "room temperature" air, but when you have no carpet and no insulation on the floor, its still too darn cold :-\

i'm not hugely concerned with the engine that's in the car now, as i've been building a little stronger (hopefully) one over the past few weeks. however, if once i pull this engine everything looks ok, then i'll probably do a simple rebuild on this engine and maybe put it in my carbed EA82 wagon and switch it over to SPFI . . .we'll see . . .

Ive had a few EA82s over the last few years, had a lot of fun with them, I have no problem with the moter, I also have a couple EJ cars, they are nice also, with any machinery if things are wore out or not up to stock new condition there will be problems, both engines are good , were talkin 20 year old moters with the EA82 thats probably the biggest issue, any machine that old will need help to bring it up to stock new specs, Ive abused, yes litteraly abused all the subarus Ive owned and they come threw , very impressed with Fujis quality

scott, when you say EJ it, you've got something fun up your sleeve and i'd be stupid not to see what it is :grin:

b.t.w. you should "twin carb" that EJ in the wagon, something about being able to say (insert speed channel's Alain de Cadenet voice here. . .) dual Webber carburettors :cool:

Ive had a few EA82s over the last few years, had a lot of fun with them, I have no problem with the moter, I also have a couple EJ cars, they are nice also, with any machinery if things are wore out or not up to stock new condition there will be problems, both engines are good , were talkin 20 year old moters with the EA82 thats probably the biggest issue, any machine that old will need help to bring it up to stock new specs, Ive abused, yes litteraly abused all the subarus Ive owned and they come threw , very impressed with Fujis quality

20 years old might be an issue...but, way back in 86, my dad said the US ski team gave my work a couple new turbo subarus....which both blew up under warrenty....blame it on first generation, factory defects, or just a flawed motor...i dont know...That said, i may still try and get a little more power out of mine, blow it up, then swap it! In the mean time, nothing like adding a quart of oil and 1/2 gallon of coolant every 800 miles....

• 2 weeks later...

so much drama.

So I have both, or all.. whatever. My first subject is the stereotyped legendary EA82T in my 88 Rx. I got the car cheap, caught up on some maintenance work and such and intercooled it... even put on a hood scoop... I got hardly 6 months out of the car when one day, out of the blue it started smoking out of the exhaust one morning... and it was done. So I swapped it for an EJ25, which I think GD might have said something like "swapping one HG problem for another"... but it might have been Dave. Here's another point of interest... the "old" rx was pushing probably high 18's in the 1/4 and getting a hard earned 22ish MPG... the "new" Rx runs 15's (I'm a mile high BTW) and never gets under 25 MPG no matter how I flog it. Typically it gets over 30 MPG.. and that's Subarus 2nd red haired child... but I digest

MY other vehicle of interest is my EA82 N/A 87 lifted 29'd wagon. It started life carbbed, but I made it SPFI and like GD said... It's probably the best thing ever(the SPFI) And honestly on this car I replaced the cooling hoses since they were in rough shape and just drove the car. I didn't touch anything on the engine for three years. I drove it through some water... well a lot of water... many times. Amazingly a few days passed before it toasted a timing belt bearing. I love the SPFI EA82s, best EA82 I've ever owned, mostly because the others were turbos. When/if I toast the HGs in the wagon... I'll probably get lazy and rebuild it. You can ask the locals... my lifted wagon is amazingly fast...

To sum up.. I HATE the EA82T... but the N/A's I've never had much trouble with... EA81s.. I've owned a few.. SPFI'd one of them. Seems to be a good motor, but I generally don't like the body style... I prefer the toasters and door stops that came later.:-p

And finally as far as GD goes.. he is an rump roast, but he also is a great wealth of info. I used to kinda have a problem with his blunt "I'm right" attitude, but I got over it... mostly because I tend to agree with him.

Ohh and as far as you wanting more power out of your EA82T.. just EJ it, you'll be fine:grin:

/book

HEY Jeff, why don't you forrester it :grin:

shwen we takin dat ting ta da walker bally?

18 to 20 years from now. We hit the 55 miles range on the odometer now. it will have to have about 301,000 miles on it before it goes up there, only because Tami would kill me dead if she knew or saw it up there. I don't want to smash a good rocker panel on a stump or anything!!!:lol::) Just joking!!

Jeff