Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I followed the online procedure for getting the codes out of my 1996 Legacy today. The airbag light has been on since I bought it 3 weeks ago, previous owner never bothered to find out why. If I am reading the pattern correct I am getting 2 codes: 1 long flash then 1 short flash ; then 1 long flash followed by 4 short flashes . Wondering if someone on the forum can tell me what errors are indicated. Thanks

Disclaimer 1: I know nothing about airbags, so don't take my word for the truth.

Disclaimer 2: I don't know anything about the 1996 Legacy.

However, this is what the Factory Service Manual for my 2002 Forester, says about DTCs (Diagnotic Trouble Codes):

- The long segment (1.2 sec on) indicates a “ten”,

- and the short segment (0.3 sec on) indicates a “one”.

And so I would say that you are reading DTC 11 and DTC 14.

Again, for a 2002 Forester:

DTC 11

DIAGNOSIS:

Airbag main harness circuit is open, shorted or shorted to ground.

Airbag module harness (Driver) circuit is open, shorted or shorted to ground.

Roll connector circuit is open, shorted or shorted to ground.

Driver’s airbag module is faulty.

Airbag control module is faulty.

CAUTION:

Before diagnosing the airbag system, be sure to turn the ignition switch OFF, disconnect the

ground cable from the battery, and wait more than 20 seconds before starting to work.

Before replacing the airbag module, roll controller, control module, and sensor, reconnect each

part and confirm that the warning light operates properly.

When inspecting the airbag main harness, disconnect the driver’s airbag module and passenger’s

airbag module connectors for safety reasons.

DTC 14 is not listed (in my 2002 Forester FSM).

Thanks for the reply. I've done a lot of searching online today and it looks like some codes are make, model, year, and model specific. Anyone out there got a FSM for a 1996 Legacy?

Related question. If the clock spring aka 'roll connector' is faulty does it fail across the board for all steering wheel mounted controls? A bad clock spring could be my problem (from guessing at code similarities) but my horn works fine.

Hi Tim. I have a '96 Legacy too!

Let's see...air bag codes.

Code 11 says it could one or more of the following:

DIAGNOSIS:

• Airbag control module is faulty.
  • Airbag main harness circuit is open.
  • Fuse No.8 is blown.
  • Body harness circuit is open.

Code 14 says.... (basically these appear to be all the yellow connectors in the system).

DIAGNOSIS:

• (AB9) and (AB10) are not connected properly.
  • (AB2) and (AB7) are not connected properly.
  • (AB3) and (AB8) are not connected properly.
  • (AB6) is not connected properly to airbag control module.

Just thought of something. Under the dash by the diag connectors there is a yellow female plug that is not connected to anything, think it has 4 or 6 wires, maybe that should be plugged in somewhere. I first mistook it for the airbag diag connector because it is yellow.

Hm, you know what, I would check to see if the air bag module is even in place. As it has been on since you got the vehicle maybe the airbag deployed at some point and was not replaced? The circa '96s had a tsb out where if a curb was hit hard enough with the tow hooks under the front of the vehicle, the airbag would deploy. tsb solution-cut off tow hooks.

i would be careful just assuming the system is perfectly running. it may be disconnected for a reason. so play...but play carefully and with the knowledge that it may have been tinkered with. i have a vehicle that the air bags went off in and so far the air bags haven't been reactivated but one side has been replaced.

I dont know about sensors, but as far as the connectors under the dash I think they were around four to six of them, it has been a few years so I dont remember for sure. I think they are around two on each side and may a couple in the center, you should be able to see the two on the sides by looking up under the dash.

Where and how many sensors am I looking for? On the older Miatas they were mounted on the frame rails and pretty easy to see , they aren't as noticeable on the Subaru.

Cool, will do. One last question I think. Could someone with access to a Subaru parts manual let me know what if any years fit a 1996? The local junkyard has a 98 or 99 Outback that still has the steering wheel assembly intact. I tried this searched on several of the online Subura parts places but none of them have airbag parts listed.