Ultimate Subaru Message Board

One step forward and two steps back.....

Well, I'm the guy who started the "But the fuel guage read 1/2" ('98 OBLTD wagon) thread last week. So this Saturday, I was determined to fix that damned fuel guage......and I did. Now the fuel guage works correctly. I was ready to give myself a pat on the back, but nooooooooo, the story doesn't end there....

I removed both driver and passenger side fuel modules and gently cleaned the guage contacts with a soft pencil eraser (suggested in previous posts) and rinsed them with Gumout spray. As you folks probably know, the passenger side fuel module is a combination fuel pump and guage float assembly, and it takes careful manipulation to get it out and back into the tank without damage or pinching wiring.

Now that I've reassembled the passenger side module into the tank, there's a strong odor of fuel right where the pump module bolts to the tank, AND the "check engine" light is on. Although I haven't checked the code yet, common sense suggests it's probably an "evap" code with that strong odor of gas present. The three hoses that connect to the pump module are secured correctly with the original clamps.

Has anyone else out there tried reassembling the pump module back to the tank, only to have this occur?

I did this last week, replaced my fuel pump. I had no issues. Did you tighten the bolts in a star pattern?

nipper

Yeah, I made it a point to tighten them evenly. I'm concerned about those three hoses. They required quite a bit of force to slide them off of the ports on the tank cover. I'm figuring if I damaged the center hose (the high-pressure one), I should see a fuel leak when the pump is running, but there's no liquid fuel leak there....just the strong fuel odor. Today I re-removed the two smaller hoses (I think they're evap hoses) and checked them for cracks; both of those hoses look fine.

How did you remove those hoses from the ports?

Yeah, I made it a point to tighten them evenly. I'm concerned about those three hoses. They required quite a bit of force to slide them off of the ports on the tank cover. I'm figuring if I damaged the center hose (the high-pressure one), I should see a fuel leak when the pump is running, but there's no liquid fuel leak there....just the strong fuel odor. Today I re-removed the two smaller hoses (I think they're evap hoses) and checked them for cracks; both of those hoses look fine.

How did you remove those hoses from the ports?

It took me 3 days to get rid of the fuel smell. reset the CEL and keep an eye on it.

I just used a pair of pliers, and used a screw type clamp on the center one.

nipper

It took me 3 days to get rid of the fuel smell. reset the CEL and keep an eye on it.

I just used a pair of pliers, and used a screw type clamp on the center one.

nipper

OK. I'll give that a try. I was just downstairs thumbing thru the factory shop manual. (purchased it new in 1998 with the car) Why am I reading the shop manual AFTER doing the job, you ask? Let's not talk about that. There are two pages on removing/reinstalling the fuel pump module and one of the instructions is "always use a new gasket".

OK. I'll give that a try. I was just downstairs thumbing thru the factory shop manual. (purchased it new in 1998 with the car) Why am I reading the shop manual AFTER doing the job, you ask? Let's not talk about that. There are two pages on removing/reinstalling the fuel pump module and one of the instructions is "always use a new gasket".

er um ....

er

oopsy

guess i am just lucky. My gasket was rubber and looked in good shape. Maybe you dont have the old gasket well seated.

nipper

• 2 weeks later...
er um ....

er

oopsy

guess i am just lucky. My gasket was rubber and looked in good shape. Maybe you dont have the old gasket well seated.

nipper

you were right---old gasket not seated correctly. Replaced it with brand new one and problem is solved. I wish I knew how that happened, though. The fuel pump module, as you know, is secured by 8 studs and eight 8mm nuts to the tank so it really can only fit on there one way....

you were right---old gasket not seated correctly. Replaced it with brand new one and problem is solved. I wish I knew how that happened, though. The fuel pump module, as you know, is secured by 8 studs and eight 8mm nuts to the tank so it really can only fit on there one way....

As long as mankind has thumbs ..... there will always be a way.

:grin:

nipper

As long as mankind has thumbs ..... there will always be a way.

:grin:

nipper

The old gasket had the "oval" pattern of the tank opening compressed into it, as expected after 10 years. When I re-used that old gasket, it ended up in a slightly different position around the opening. Result: the original pattern channeled fuel vapor (and tank pressure, resulting in a P0440) right across one of the studs that secures the pump module. That allowed vapor to escape. Now I understand why the shop manual says "always use a new gasket". Now if I could just remember to read the instructions BEFORE doing the job.....