Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is a fair out-of-pocket price for a new windshield?

My 95 Legacy needs a new windshield. What is a fair price to pay for a professional installation that will look good and will not leak? Are there chains that specialize in windshield replacement? What else do I need to know?

I will be paying for this out-of-pocket. Insurance is not applicable to my situation. I want a brand new shield, not one from a breaker.

not to sure about subarus but around my way i had to get my windshield in my old saturn replaced and it ran me about $400 installed....they came to my house and everything.....the only thing i wasnt to happy about was that they left my car a mess......

There seems to be no rhyme, or reason, in windshield prices.

I bought a new windshield in Toronto Canada for $100 cash installed ('91 Legacy), here (at home), 1000 miles distant, the same windshield is $300.

I *suspect* there is a lot of mark-up, and it depends on the volume the installer does with the wholesaler.

it would help to have your location posted as the price varies. i've gotten prices $100 cheaper in the ohio area verses the DC/Baltimore area for the same vehicle. I'm guessing around $200 for your legacy, the last windshield i had installed was $170 in an XT6 and i doubt a legacy would be much more.

your best bet is to call around and get prices from a few different places, this is very common work and easy to arrange.

Calling around for best price is what I did to buy a windshield several years ago. It was well worth it, as I got about a $300 spread from low to high. Also, say when asking for a quote that you are paying the entire amount, as cost is not covered by insurance. That also helps to lower the cost.

There is also a cost difference if you want a clear or tinted windshield. I ordered the clear, and didn't miss the tint. When I needed sun shade, I lowered the visor. Clear, of course, costs less.

There is also a cost difference if you want a clear or tinted windshield. I ordered the clear, and didn't miss the tint. When I needed sun shade, I lowered the visor. Clear, of course, costs less.

i put a windshield in a 96 lego and the longer i spoke with the guy on the phone the lower the price got. he finally said if i could wait a few days he could do it for $99.00. the time delay allowed him to get the glass in from a distributor not a warehouse in the city. you might try saying " well bob over at bob's glass said he could do it for 125$" what are they going to do after the say no, raise the price.

you probably should watch them do it, just ot make sure they don't leave any sealant on your carpet.

I got a windshield last fall from Safelite auto glass in Va near DC for $120 in my '96 leg. OB. JohnC suggestion of complaining about the price is a good one, tho I have to say that $120 with a lifetime warranty against leaks was their first offer without me saying a word so I went for it. I did get three or four more quotes but they were all about the same with no warranty.

I'm here in richmond and last year I got quotes on a windshield for my 96 OB and the chains were 300 and up CASH!!. There is a small outfit here that gave me a quote of 150, but they do it on a drive in , first come first served basis.

Safelite was one of the companies I called and they were 300 too.

I'm here in richmond and last year I got quotes on a windshield for my 96 OB and the chains were 300 and up CASH!!. There is a small outfit here that gave me a quote of 150, but they do it on a drive in , first come first served basis.

Safelite was one of the companies I called and they were 300 too.

Yeah, that fits. I think it depends on what kind of supply they've got in stock or available.

I had a new windshield installed in my 95 Legacy a couple months ago by Safelite. It was an insurance claim, so I don't recall what the actual ticket was. But, they did a super clean job with the install and the quality of the new windshield is great.

Thanks for all the good advice, y'all. What a great message board. I was wondering about the tint, too, so thanks for that comment.

I should have clarified, I'm right here in the dark rainy moss-covered Pacific Northwet (don't move here, it's terrible). I would like to find a windshield in the Portland, OR area.

For those who have had problems with new windshield installation, what were they? What kind of mess do they leave? My windshield is intact. Will they break it to remove it? I don't want glass rattling around behind my dashboard for years!

$300 in St. Louis for a 2000 OBW, aftermarket, big company specializes in this.

Make sure you watch them. They won't break it to take it out, but they will cut the old sealer and scrape the residue off. They will also likely scratch the paint off where the windshield sealer goes, so make sure they fix that paint or you'll have rust there and a leaky windshield in a few years. It's already March, but as a reminder this should be done inside or in decent weather.

The quality of this job is very dependent on the experience and techniques of the installer. How you pick a good one, I don't know.

No, the installer will not break the glass to remove it. He doesn't want to create more work for himself. It is easier to remove one large piece, then possibly thousands of small pieces of broken glass.

When you have the job done, be sure to carefully inspect the inside of your car for any potential mess that the installer left behind. If you find anything that isn't right, have it corrected before you take possession of the car.

BTW, a quality glass shop will do a quality job, so it is highly unlikely that a mess will be left behind. I have never had any problem, but I still inspect carefully anyway.

I'm right here in the dark rainy moss-covered Pacific Northwet (don't move here, it's terrible).

:lol: I agree, it's horrible out here!

Make sure to run your fingers around the seal on the inside just to check it out. The installer will love you for it. And you will love getting getting that polyurethane off your fingers.:lol:

I just had a new windshield installed today on my '99 Impreza OBS. $198. The guys did a very clean install--cleaner than the factory actually. I wish I could get an outdoor pic of it--the windshield they ordered for me looks great--has more tint at the top than factory.

I think you find someone who has been doing it awhile and the job will be clean. I'd imagine this is a job where people who aren't very good don't last too long...