Ultimate Subaru Message Board

shifter keeps popping out of gear...

1992 legacy wagon, trans-5spd,engine-2.2

my "leggy" doesn't seem to like 4th gear.he'll pop the shifter out of 4th gear if i don't keep my hand of shifter.it doesn't come out of gear to hard so slightest nudge will do it.it does it mostly when speed is around 40 or slightly under cause anything higher and i'm in 5th(which has no problems).i'm wondering if it might be loose/bad trans mount because when trans is in 3rd gear and if i take my foot off gas,i notice the shifter will move forward.it does that ever so slightly while in 4th also...:-\ (i wonder if i anwsered my own question)

i'm hopeing that it is only the trans mount and not something internal..

has anyone here had same issue? if so,was it the mount or something worse.?

any help/suggestions would be appreciated.thank you

It is more than likely internal.

bad syncro.

bad plate on the shaft.

has the clutch been worked on lately?

car in an accident?

of course this could be normal wear as well

but if the car is popping out of gear

it's most certainly an internal issue.

Jamie subiegal-smilie.png

thanks for all replys...

thank fully i have a spare trans..(but who knows what shape that's in..

Most likely culprit is a worn detente. (It's what holds the shift fork in place, IIRC).

i do notice some noise that seems to go away when i even just slightly press on clutch pedal..

i thought it might be because i have hill holder disconnected.

has the clutch been worked on lately?

since i've owned it,the closest i've been to the clutch is when i pulled engine to do head gaskets.unless when i put it back together,i did something wrong..

it all started about a month ago and i did the engine work about year and a half ago(if not longer,can't remember)

check for a recent thread i started a few days ago....im having the exact same problem.....i have a 96 legacy ej22 with a 5 speed...it has 190,000 on it and i just almost completely lost 4th.....just like your says it started popping out and i had to hold it in now it just grinds.....take a look at my post.......i just bought a used one for like $500 out of a used legacy with about 90,000 miles....even comes with a 6 month warranty....hopefully this weeked i will get it all swapped out.......