Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've searched around but can't find firmer struts made for my Sube. KYB makes replacements but they're essentially the same as the OEM ones.

Bilstein? Koni?.... zilch.

My Subie's struts haven't gone bad, it's just that they've always been a bit too bouncy for my taste; I'd like firmer ones for better handling, especially at highway speeds. I know I can put beefier sway bars on to reduce roll, but I'd also like better composure for my Sube when it hits bouncy patches at speed in mountain driving or on the highway.

Am I just stuck with the type of suspension my Sube already has?

Just checked the KYB 2008 catalog, on line, and there are NO parts numbers listed for Legacy/Outback AGX struts (except the '92-'94 Legacy), only for the GR-2s; the Agx struts are available just for the Impreza.:(

The GR-2s "might" be slightly firmer that the OEM struts, but I'm not willing to go through the expense of installing them only to find out that they're not firm enough. I'm looking for rock solid control and handling over bumps, dips and rough road while still providing a comfortable ride.

Sounds like you want firmer springs, King makes them as I am trying to find a supplier right now for ones for my 97 OBW. They say their stock springs are 20% stiffer and then they have two sets of lowering and one set of lift springs available.

Anyone know a supplier for King springs?

They are firmer. When my shop installed them, they asked me if i really really wanted the GR2's as they are firmer then stock. They had put them in a few customers cars, and they complained that they were too firm.

Also anything is going to be firmer then what you have now at 8 years old almost.

I cant tell you honestly if they were former then when Blu was new in 1997, but anything will be firmer then what you have now.

If you are looking for better cornering, thats more of a function of the almost 8yo bushings and the sway bar.

nipper

You and I have pretty much the same car.

I have H&R lowering coils springs with KYB GR2s and a huge rear sway bar from Rallitek on my 02 Wagon. Had GR2s on stock springs on my wife's Legacy that we sold recently. KYB GR2 are little firmer than stock.

Bilstein HDs are even more firm, but expensive. Had them on my old Volvo & they were awesome with the stock springs. I wish Bilstein had come out with theirs when I lowered and replaced the struts on the Subaru a couple years ago.

www.shox.com

They sell the Bilsteins and the H&Rs.

Also, the peeps on this forum can tell you more about the bilstein's handling characteristics on Legacys:

http://sl-i.net/FORUM/index.php

when you get to the point of replacing them, this may help:

http://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=2917

i really like my 04 sti stuff, big inverted struts and pretty stiff springs. and i have gotten now two sets for $200-250 each. i'm real happy with them. only thing i wouldn't be sure about is the upper rear strut mount and what bolt pattern they used. the older legacys used a symmetrical triangle design where as in 2002 the imprezas one of the bolt holes got moved out. but either way is easy, if it's the early one, use 90-91 rear upper strut mounts, if it's the later one, just use the uppers from a sti. the reason you have to use the 90-91 was because the sti springs taper at the top like the 90 and 91s did.

Also anything is going to be firmer then what you have now at 8 years old almost.

If you are looking for better cornering, thats more of a function of the almost 8yo bushings and the sway bar.

Actually, my Sube has only 52k miles on it; I've been traveling out of the country a lot these past 6 1/2 years (I bought it new in August '01 even though it's a '00), and haven't had occasion to drive it as much as I'd like. Anyway, I've always felt that the suspension was a bit too bouncy. And Legacys as well as OBs do tend to roll rather easily on cornering.

And Strakes, thanks for pointing me to the Bilstein HDs; didn't realize that Bilstein made struts for the '00 and up Legacys. The HDs look like just what I'm after.:) They are rather pricey, though...have to give it some thought. And the Rallitek sway bars look sweet, too!

Another question comes to mind; are there firmer springs available for my Sube which will NOT lower (or raise) it. As it is now, my Subie's bottom front end scrapes the pavement when going from the street onto an inclined driveway, or parks, head on, against a slightly higher curb. Lowering the car will only compound the matter!:rolleyes:

And, of course, if the road clearance is increased, handling will suffer (i.e., higher center of gravity; bye the way, I'm really disappointed that Subaru has dropped the Legacy wagon as of 2007....OBWs only, now, with it's higher road clearance and, therefore, somewhat compromised handling). I'll just stick with my Subie's original road clearance, thank you!;)

Hi. Yes KYB GR-2 do seem to be valved a little stiffer than the Subaru OEM KYB's. Add on King Springs/scorpion lift springs and that will definitely firm up the ride quite a bit, at least it has on my soobs. The King Springs you can get in a lowering, stock, or lift style. They have a catalog at http://www.kingsprings.com

The lift spring style would give you a firmer ride because they have a higher rate (which is why they lift), probably like 350lb/in to 400lb/in.

You can get King Springs directly from King Springs and they ship from Australia. Shipping costs almost as much as the springs themselves, but actually the price is still about the same as when renickmotorsports used to sell them.

Important note about King Springs, if these are for your 2000 Legacy, you may need Forester upper spring seats for the front as the King Springs are made for Aus. spec vehicles.

There are some other makers of lift springs for soobs, one from Canada I think, but I forget the names.

NOTHING for any other impreza/forester/older legacy will fit an 00+ because the rear suspension was completely changed. Some of that stuff has been mentioned in here but it won't work on your car. The only things you can use must be 00-04 Legacy specific.

Bilstein makes some of the best dampers in the world. If you're willing to spend the money I highly recommend it.

Well, think I'll pass on the stiffer springs idea after all. Firmer struts (Bilsteins...I like it, I like it! The HDs sound really fine; now gotta mull the cost factor over for a while) and upgraded sway bars should do me just fine.

I fitted Stock height,25% stiffer King springs to the back of my outback, along with KYB excel-G's allround. BINGO! "Almost" neutral handling, and non of the grandad style wallowing of the stock suspension. It could do with a slightly stiffer swaybar setup, but given it's height, it ain't bad. Kings prices compare well with Rallitek, but their shipping charges, outside the US at least, are half what Rallitek charge.

Oh, and with 53,000 miles on them, those shocks are a long way from optimum.

Cheers, Nick

Do you have a part number, what year Outback do you have?

I fitted Stock height,25% stiffer King springs to the back of my outback, along with KYB excel-G's allround. BINGO! "Almost" neutral handling, and non of the grandad style wallowing of the stock suspension. It could do with a slightly stiffer swaybar setup, but given it's height, it ain't bad. Kings prices compare well with Rallitek, but their shipping charges, outside the US at least, are half what Rallitek charge.

Oh, and with 53,000 miles on them, those shocks are a long way from optimum.

Cheers, Nick

Well, think I'll pass on the stiffer springs idea after all. Firmer struts (Bilsteins...I like it, I like it! The HDs sound really fine; now gotta mull the cost factor over for a while) and upgraded sway bars should do me just fine.

If I had to do it all over again, I would do exactly as you are thinking. IMO the sway bar upgrade was the best bang for the buck improvement. Then the firmer dampers. Now if only KYB made their poor-man's bilsteins (KYB Gas-A-Just) for our legacies....

Well, out of curiosity, I inquired with King Springs Australia about their stock springs for my Legacy, referring to their on-line catalog. It lists a "Liberty" but not a Legacy; I assumed the Liberty is the Australian equivalent of the Legacy.

They referred me to Ionperformance in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, http://www.ionperformance.com

Ionperformance distributes King springs for North American Subes. Jack Ho of Ionperformance told me that King Springs catalog #s won't work for North American Subarus. The springs that Ionperformance imports install with OEM North America Subaru parts.

Email Jack if you have any questions about applications for your particular Sube: jack@ionperformance.com

He quoted me a price of ~$350US, plus $65US for shipping to California. Don't think I'll go for them though. The Bilsteins and sway bars would be expensive enough, with the cost of having them installed additional (although I likely could do the sway bars myself.....nah, my bad back would give me fits.:rolleyes: