Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Major Differences between EA81 and EA81T?

I have found, over the years, that usually fixing what you have to be the easiest and cheapest.

Find out EXACTLY what is wrong with what you own, then, armed with that knowledge, you can make a plan with the best course of action.

Very regularly these engines will go more than 300,000 miles. Changing an engine, because of a bad (or poorly adjusted) valve, is akin to amputating your leg because of a broken toe.

The EA81 MPFI and the EA81 Turbo system is basically the same as the MPFI and Turbo system of the 3 plug 85-86 EA82MPFI/EA82T

So you could get some EA81 Turbo heads, put on a carbed block (for higher compression) and use the 85-86 MPFI ecu and wiring to have an easy to come by EA81 MPFI

I have found, over the years, that usually fixing what you have to be the easiest and cheapest.

Find out EXACTLY what is wrong with what you own, then, armed with that knowledge, you can make a plan with the best course of action.

Very regularly these engines will go more than 300,000 miles. Changing an engine, because of a bad (or poorly adjusted) valve, is akin to amputating your leg because of a broken toe.

Ya thats tru. It makes perfect sence. I need a manual, Never done this before. :grin: I have a hydro eng that was ran out of either water or oil? (some dumb lady) and its at a friends house. I just dont know if the damage done are to parts I may need. Theres only one way to find out! Plus by pulling that head, It will show me what I need to take apart on mine. Where are you buying your headgaskets and head studs?

And if all else fails. Ill get an ea82...... I just wish I had money for the ea82 to ej22t wiring harness, ecu, then get AA's adaptor,, redrilled flywheel, a 5sp d/r, FANCY clutch, Oh yea ej22t and drop that whole mess in a cherry ea82t gl10 wagon (parts car) Lift it 8-10in (which its already going to get) on my custom frame and Make that cherry wagon, not so cherry by beating the snot out of it. Soon......Soon....

Thanks

Jess

You will need to prove that, or no one is going to believe you.

Including me.

He can't because it never existed. If it had, then there would be an FSM that covered it - there is not. Also I and many others would have seen one - I've seen my share of EA81's, and GL-10's have always been carbed.

EA82's started out with an MPFI non-turbo in 85, and quickly adopted SPFI in 86 - that part is true.

GD

Ok so I went over there and pulled the heads off that engine. We know nothing about the engine, except it had 160k. When I pulled it apart the head gaskets look to be new (maybe a possible attempt to replace the head gaskets?) and the water jackets seemed to have a bunch of gasket sealent stuff in there. There was a bunch of gunk and rust and nastyness in the #4 cylinder too. The drivers side intake tube to header was full of water, somthing was letting water in. Heres what I got today. Now I just need to figure out if there bad or what to do with them Oh how I do this whole thing the correct way....:rolleyes:

P.s. THANKS MARK! These coulndt be any closer! I had to borrow these crates. Ill bring them back tomorrow:rolleyes:

Heres my box of stuff to try....

IMG_6502.jpg

heres the pass side #3 looks good.

IMG_6501.jpg

heres both, theres some of the nastyness from the #4 cyl

IMG_6500.jpg