Ultimate Subaru Message Board

As I have posted the alarm remote stopped working. I changed the battery and nothing happened So the remote entry has not been used since then.

It snowed today so I drove the Subaru. That is what they are for! Well I get to the office, lock the door with the power lock switch and I heard a chirp-chirp with the accompaniing flashing lights when I closed the door. I tried the remote. No luck.

I know when I open the door with the key the alarm will go off.

Now what do I do??

Typically try and start the car. Unlock and relock the door with the key.

On mine I had to dig for the button up under the dash basically directly up under the steering column that is a hidden black button wrapped up in some other wires. That's the reset button - atleast it is on a 97 OBW.

I didn't see where you stated what car you are talking about - that might help.

Dave

Typically try and start the car. Unlock and relock the door with the key.

On mine I had to dig for the button up under the dash basically directly up under the steering column that is a hidden black button wrapped up in some other wires. That's the reset button - atleast it is on a 97 OBW.

I didn't see where you stated what car you are talking about - that might help.

Dave

98 Legacy GT. And the reset button is missing......

reset button is "missing????"

how long has it been missing?

if this button has fallen off then the keyless kit will cause the alarm to go off at random as well as cause drain on your battery

certain there is no button?

can you find the wiring beneath the dash that leads to there the button should be?

Jamie subiegal-smilie.png

reset button is "missing????"

how long has it been missing?

if this button has fallen off then the keyless kit will cause the alarm to go off at random as well as cause drain on your battery

certain there is no button?

can you find the wiring beneath the dash that leads to there the button should be?

Yeah it is gone. I have reset the remote numerous times in the last 10 years. I know where the button WAS! I even took off the botton of the dash last weekend trying to find it. There were a few connections with nothing plugged into them but no button anywhere.

Yeah it is gone. I have reset the remote numerous times in the last 10 years. I know where the button WAS! I even took off the botton of the dash last weekend trying to find it. There were a few connections with nothing plugged into them but no button anywhere.

so you can confirm the button was there

but has fallen off?

if so, what you need to do is splice in a new on/off switch

in the exact location that the button was once present

had to do this on my 01 as the button fell off

keyless/alarm was no longer properly grounded

and the alarm would go off at random - even while driving!

spliced in a new on/off switch (where the button was originally located)

reprogrammed the remote

and it has been fine since

I hope I'm not hijacking here, but do all of these cars have an alarm, or are some just keyless entry? I am familiar with turning off what I always thought was just the keyless entry thing whenever I unhook and re-hook the negative battery cable. Lights flash etc, push the button and cycle the ignition. But there has never seemed to be any alarm on this car. Is that just an option on some, or another standard feature I didn't know I have?

Just wondering really. Where I live 1.) I have no need of an alarm, and 2.) they are considered really rude.

I hope I'm not hijacking here, but do all of these cars have an alarm, or are some just keyless entry? I am familiar with turning off what I always thought was just the keyless entry thing whenever I unhook and re-hook the negative battery cable. Lights flash etc, push the button and cycle the ignition. But there has never seemed to be any alarm on this car. Is that just an option on some, or another standard feature I didn't know I have?

Just wondering really. Where I live 1.) I have no need of an alarm, and 2.) they are considered really rude.

In 98 keyless entry was standard at least on the GTs.

The alarm was an option.

Hijacker here,

I have the remote entry thing when I bought the car used but it didn't come with remotes. Now I have two remotes; how do I reprogram it so I can use the remotes?

1997 Leg GT

do you have an owners manual?

info should be in the owners manual :)

Hijacker here,

I have the remote entry thing when I bought the car used but it didn't come with remotes. Now I have two remotes; how do I reprogram it so I can use the remotes?

Open driver's door.

Turn ignition key to 'On'

Press and *hold programming button* in (under dashboard)

After 15 seconds the the door locks will cycle 3 times. Do not release Programming button

Press lock (left) button the remotes to be programmed. The door locks will cycle one time.

Exit programming mode by releasing Programming button under dashboard and turning key to off.

Open driver's door.

Turn ignition key to 'On'

Press and *hold programming button* in (under dashboard)

After 15 seconds the the door locks will cycle 3 times. Do not release Programming button

Press lock (left) button the remotes to be programmed. The door locks will cycle one time.

Exit programming mode by releasing Programming button under dashboard and turning key to off.

FIRST STEP - ROLL DOWN WINDOW!

My remote that I bought here and tried to program didn't work. When the car cycles the 3 times it leaves the doors locked. If the only key is in the car (from you turning the ignition to the on position) you're pretty much screwed.

BTW if it takes you 2 days to get a key made the battery will be dead.

Dave

Another thing you need to do: there are FOUR transmitter code receptors (or whatever Subaru calls them) in the module. For two remotes you have to program each remote twice; for three, one twice, the other two once each, and for four, once for each. Otherwise you have open channels and it can throw off the entire thing.

If you have older remotes (unlock/lock remotes without the alarm button) they seem to work better on the older modules. If you have the alarm/unlock/lock remotes, you may have to reprogram everything twice (do everything from scratch, not twice on each remote only, I mean).

If your neighbors live close by you, and they have Subarus, do the programming inside a garage or when your neighbors are away. Although the range is limited, if you are programming your remotes and your neighbor comes outside to get into their car, your module may grab their remote code instead of yours.

I live on a street of 7 houses. There are FIVE Subarus on my street. I speak from experience here...

Here's my current alarm issue:

'97 Lego LSI:

I have keyless entry & no remote. The car sat awhile, and the battery died. Now the 4-way flashers want to stay on. I'm assuming that's the alarm going off, no clues as to why the horn isn't honking, as it does work.

How the heck do I reset the alarm with no remote? I've already started & drove the car, and the flashers are just happily doing thier thing the whole time! I pulled the fuse to the security system, but the red LED on the dash just flashes angrily! How can I fix this without getting out the wire cutters?

Here's my current alarm issue:

'97 Lego LSI:

I have keyless entry & no remote. The car sat awhile, and the battery died. Now the 4-way flashers want to stay on. I'm assuming that's the alarm going off, no clues as to why the horn isn't honking, as it does work.

How the heck do I reset the alarm with no remote? I've already started & drove the car, and the flashers are just happily doing thier thing the whole time! I pulled the fuse to the security system, but the red LED on the dash just flashes angrily! How can I fix this without getting out the wire cutters?

Did you read about the button mentioned early on in this post?

I found it by searching here months ago. Actually it may have a link to cars101 as well.

Dave

I just happen to have the factory installation sheet for the keyless remotes.

Here's the verbatim instructions for Notes on System Operation:

1. Parking lights will flash when the vehicle battery is disconnected and reconnected. To stop lights from flashing, either:

- Press remote transmitter Unlock or Disarm button once.

- Turn Ignition to the 'ON or "RUN' position and press programming button for one second (on harness near module).

2. The vehicle's courtesy light will stay on for 60 seconds upon exit unless door is locked with the remote transmitter.

3. The instrument panel lights will flash when the parking lights flash.

OK, there are the complete factory instructions for stopping the flashing lights WITH or WITHOUT the remote.