Ultimate Subaru Message Board

FI eatin gas like crazy

C E L? Idk um its all clean I cleaned the fuel system. Im about to cut the cat off. Im runnin straight pipe. I hate cats they rob horsepower. The only thing it does is kinda bog at high speed 4 and 5th. So it couldn't be a fuel pressure regulator.

Im gonna advance the disty a tooth and cut the cat off. It over heated and knocked a plug shut. Dangit! I replaced the plug. Well im puttin the ru up on the lift tonight and replacing the rear diff. Also gonna make the Y for when I cut the cat off. Ill be lookin for a ej22 or 25 soon...

Im gonna advance the disty a tooth and cut the cat off. It over heated and knocked a plug shut. Dangit! I replaced the plug. Well im puttin the ru up on the lift tonight and replacing the rear diff. Also gonna make the Y for when I cut the cat off. Ill be lookin for a ej22 or 25 soon...

There is so much wrong here I don't know were to start.

So we'll go in order.

1) Advancing the disty, especially by a whole tooth, is a recipe for trouble. Detonation, overheating, and poor performance most likely.

2)Overheated? and Knocked the plug shut?? you mean there was no gap?? that means that more happened than just an overheat. the piston should never hit the sparkplug, ever. Especially since the plug is a good 3/4 of an inch inside the combustion dome, up away from the top of the piston. Either I am totally misunderstanding you're description, or something else major is wrong.

3) You will need to weld in a bung for the O2 sensor. But honetly, Cutting out the CAT will not yield you any really noticable gains. The idea CATs rob power is mostly a myth, and motly applicable to bigger engine with higher flow demand.

Not only that, but removing the CAT is Illegal, Irresponsible, and a big pet peeve of some of us here. I wouldn't go braggin about you're ignorant attempt to *hot rod* you're economy car. Not everyone thinks it's cool.

Im not stupid I know a clogged cat cuts performance. Yea the plug looks like it was hit. Either that or welded from the heat. im kinda lookin for friends on here not people who lash out. Its just text and internet. I think rod 3 is startin to knock. So the ej22 is comin soon. Id really like help. I just did 7 months of gettin yelled at by drill sargents. Gimme a break

Im not stupid I know a clogged cat cuts performance. Yea the plug looks like it was hit. Either that or welded from the heat. im kinda lookin for friends on here not people who lash out. Its just text and internet. I think rod 3 is startin to knock. So the ej22 is comin soon. Id really like help. I just did 7 months of gettin yelled at by drill sargents. Gimme a break

in the world of internets, THIS IS YELLING!!!! which I didn't do.

Clogged Cat can cut performance, but the answer to that is a new CAT, not simply chopping the old one.

Besides, you do not know with any certainty (you have guessed) that you're CAT IS clogged.

If the plug was hit, something else major is wrong. Cutting out you're CAT will do nothing to keep that rod from exploding though the block.

I am not trying to upset you. But you are here for Subaru advice so we are giving it to you. It obviously isn't what you want to hear, but that doesn't make it bad advice.

I'd do a compression test to find out the condition of you're cylinders and then go from there.

BTW.....since we have a volunteer Army, I have no sympathy for you're *being yelled at* by drill sargeants. Part of the job, you signed up.

I do however have respect, and thank you for service.

Welcome to the board. Don't take it personal, we wouldn't be here if we didn't want to help.

Yeah a clogged cat does rob performance, but I don't think he knew it was clogged. Thought you were doing it for that 1 extra ftlb of torque. If even that.

Anyway, could also be the injector leaking gas causing it to run rich/drink fuel. Sweet lookin ride btw. An EJ22 will be a HUGE leap forward in power and reliability. Good luck with the swap.

Well it runs hot. I know a can can do that. But to be honest I like the sound of straight pipe. Advancing the disty actually improves performance depending on the position, mine is all the way clockwise so advancing it a tooth will give me play room in the best performance zone. I know I sign'd for the job id just like a little peace now that im back home. Well the engine is new the compression is good...

Advancing the disty actually improves performance depending on the position, mine is all the way clockwise so advancing it a tooth will give me play room in the best performance zone.

Advancing the disty improve power to a small degree. But only so far. And if you advance it too far it will overheat and wreck you're engine. set you're timing using a timing light, or you're aking for trouble. That may be the very reason you're running hot right now. Come to think of it, running the wrong timing i a very quick way to detonate a piston. That might be what happened to you're plug.

Well the engine is new the compression is good...

Not if you detonated you're piston from guessing at you're timing. Test it.