Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Opinions please... maintenance at high mileage

I've got a 95 Legacy with 222k on it. I'm the original owner, it runs great, and has been well maintained. It has needed very little over the years. I decided long ago I was "driving this one into the ground" before replacing it. So, now it needs about $1800 worth of routine maintenance... maintenance that I just don't have the time or inclination to do myself right now, so that's out of the question. We all commonly hear the refrain, "these Subarus will go forever", but I'm just curious what others think of that much maintenance at that many miles. Does this car likely have another 50k+ in it, or is this risky money to spend at this point?

This $1800, is it something that HAS to be done all at once? Or could you do it one part at a time? Consider this, if you own the car outright, you're saving $400-600/mo in a car payment. You're also probably saving $50-75 in insurance.

If you're capable of doing the work yourself, or even some of it, you can cut that $1800 figure a bunch. Figure $300 for a good set of tools & a small box to keep them in. A handful of oil changes & tuneups done at home will pay for those.

It's all a matter of your ability, willingness, and time to do things yourself.

What is the quote of "$1,800 worth of routine maintenance," suppose to buy for you? List the maintenance items to us on your quote, maybe we can whittle down the list to what is really need, verses what is just needless fluff and wasted money.

Well, it needs new brakes and most likely rotors all the way around. It's due for a timing belt, and it needs trans. service. There really isn't any fluff. Also, I'm not trying to nickel and dime the exact quote. I've got multiple quotes and $1800 is "worst case". My question isn't really about how to shave money here and there, as I don't expect it to cost all of that, and I'd do the brakes myself if that was the issue. The issue that I'm just trying to get some opinions on is.. Is this a lot of miles for an EJ22 based 13 year old Legacy to spend much on maintenance, or is lots of maintenance still a good investment for such a car based on the track record of members here? I do really appreciate your replies and offers to help save on the costs though.

If the overall condition of the car is good, I would say that mileage in the low 200 thousands is not that bad.

Consider the fact that you KNOW the car has been taken care of, and when properly cared for.... the ej22s dont mind the miles.

200,000 worth of beating would be a different story.

Brakes are really easy and can be done yourself, and not for a lot of money. brakes on a sooby are mostly (easy) labor. The Tranny service you can do yourself, so now we just cut the price in half.

Maint is not a reason to ditch a car, because unless you are buying a brand new replacement, your going to hit the same bills anyway (not to mention sales tax, tags, etc).

nipper

If you like the car and it's in overall good condition, keep it going, provided you are paying for work that is done by honest, competent mechanics. I have a '95 LSi wagon about to flip 226,000 and I still love driving the car, but, like you, I wonder how long it will go before something expensive goes kaput. I was looking at investing some bills into my wagon instead of car shopping (I hate dealing with used car lots). Bought this Sube with 156,000 on the odometer and have had no major issues w/ it. Honestly, I think the engine will go another 50k with no problem. Transmission might not inspire as much faith.

You know the history of the car, which is worth a lot. Unless you buy a new car, most used cars require some maintenance dollars within the first year or two anyway. Of course, if you are getting seriously tired on the car or it has major rust issues or the interior has crapped out, you might consider upgrading. There reaches a point where you need to look at what it could potentially cost to keep a car going and what you'll have after that investment. If the car in dependable-running condition is worth that dollar amount to you, keep it. If investing that much into the car will leave you feeling trapped in a vehicle you don't really like that much, sell it now and get what you can for its current condition and invest that to the purchase of a different vehicle. (Honestly, I'd rather have a 222k EJ22 that was cared for than a 150k car that has questionable care/maintenance.)

That being said, my first inclination was to keep taking care of my own '95 and driving it until it drops, but I travel from time to time in it and I have two kids, so I need dependability. My plans were to get a used, low mileage motor and trans and store in the garage until one or both needed replaced in the car. However, I ran across a 71,000 '99 Impreza that I'll have low bucks invested in and I couldn't pass it up, so the '95 wagon may turn into my parents' spare vehicle...

ive got a 96 legacy ej22 and the engine still runs like a top.....i believe im the 5th owner and between me and my boss have known all the owners (we both know they drove that suby very hard) i currently have 190,000 on it and i just lost 4th gear (5 spd manual trans) so today i replaced the transmission with one that has around 90,000 on it.....like i said though the engine runs great........if you like the car and feel secure in it.....than i would go ahead and keep it....that is one of the joys i get out of being a mechanic.... is whatever my car needs i do it and i KNOW its done right..... as others have said when it comes to your suby....the trans service and brakes shouldnt take long at all to do........again its all up to you........good luck with whatever you decide to do......:)

If it were me, and I still liked the car, then it is worth putting some money into it to keep it reliable. Yes, I'd replace the timing belt, if it has 60,000 on the existing belt. Doing a brake job on a Subie is super easy to replace the pads, rotors too, if needed. Rear pads seem to wear forever, and the rear rotors seldom need replacing. Suggest bleeding the brake lines, if the brake fluid has the brown color of ice tea in the reservoir.

Automatic transmission is as simple as changing the oil. Just unscrew the drain plug, and replace the trany fluid. It is best to do it 2 or 3 times, to do a good fluid change.

Check to see if any of the struts are leaking, or if a strut is weak, and lets the car bounce after hitting a bump.

Check CV joint rubber boots for any tears. Replace if needed. Check for any looseness in the front suspension. That would indicate ball joint or tie rod wear. Replace if needed.

That is all that I would do to the car if it were mine. Most of the above you can do at low cost. It is the labor of having to pay to have work done that is so costly. Doing it yourself, is like paying yourself $70 to $75/hour. I always felt better paying myself that hourly wage verses paying a shop that amount.