Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine: EJ22 ~120k mi

I cannot get the dadgummit water pump to seal!:dead:

I've tried "right stuff" and black RTV, Cleaning well between attempts.

Is there any secret handshake mojo I'm missing?

The car is running SOOOOO sweet otherwise! (& getting about 5mpg better to boot)

The flat steel gasket seemed to seal well when I put it in (no sealant additional whatever)

You might try the anaerobic permatex - it is supposed to bridge up to .010 gaps (just let it sit for a couple of hours before refilling the coolant)

it will be a bit difficult to take off later, though. IF I wanted to do it that way, I would coat both sides of the steel gasket with a thin layer and bolt it down - that would probably help with later disassembly

My Legacy came to me with a leaking water pump, and because it is a turbo model it was an order and wait. I disassembled the thing only to find, that the "person" in there before me stripped out 4 of the mounting holes, when they installed a new pump.

After fixing the "bad" holes in the block, taking no chances, I installed the new pump and raised flange OEM gasket (the gaskets are a crush fit 1 time use only).

When working on Simca cars in Europe they had (Simca) a magic blue goop, that I have yet to find a N. American substitute for, designed specifically for alloy engine assemblies. I am not adverse, and did use Permatex #3, on my water pump, just in case.

http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_sealants/auto_Permatex_Aviation_Form-A-Gasket_No_3_Sealant_a.htm

While in there, I did replace all those small water lines connected to the water pump, again, taking no chances.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, 3 new gaskets later, I STILL can't get the water pump to seal. I've tried with sealer, without sealer, anerobic sealer, paper gaskets, you name it.

All of my bolts tighten equally, so that's not an issue. I don't see any cracks on the 2 pumps I have, nor the block. Not saying there aren't any, just saying I can't see them.

HELP ME! before I set fire to this car!:dead:

what engine?

is the water pump the correct one?

i'd compare it to another, maybe it's wrong or defective?

aftermarket or Subaru pump?

did you try the OEM Subaru gasket without sealer?

water pumps seem to seal rather easily without sealant, if it's not sealing with it i have to imagine something is really out of whack. i'd want to compare it against another pump or just install another...but i hate to tell you that? i can send you a used pump that is known good if you want paul, just shoot me a note.

check the surface of the pump/block for flatness at the mating surface.

good luck - sounds like a real pain?!

The engine is an ej22, the pump is an ej25, that MAY be my problem. I installed the pump from my EJ25, as it had less than 1k miles on it. I was told when I got the engine, that the W/P was bad. Curiously, there was black RTV all around the pump, as if it was leaking before. Could there be unseen cracks in the block? If so, can I find them without removing the engine?

Now its time to look at the sealing surface. Take out a straight edge and make sure its flat.

Next snug the bolts by hand, then using a star pattern, tighten them one turn at a time. Get out a torque wrench and tighten them to the proper torque, one at a time, one turn at a time.

nipper

I checked the sealing surface for flatness, it APPEARS flat, but getting to it, with the engine in, is a bit of a pain.

As for tightening, I've been using a 6lug wheel tightenig pattern. I haven't yet broken out the torque wrench, but I will.

So the water pumps are a common part # on the EJ22-25's?