Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I failed the PA State Inspection today here is the list. It cost me 31 bucks to fail and I have 2 weeks to fix it all or I get charged again. Just venting. My 98 OBW has 190K

1) Need new back brakes (70 bucks with rotors)

2) Need new parking brake shoes and adjustment (70 bucks)

3) Front left Wheel bearing (100 bucks)

4) Front left tire (ordered, 71 bucks)

5) Need duplicate vehicle regestration, because I lost mine (7.50)

One more thing is that if you need to replace one tire you need to replace all 4 because of the AWD system. That is unless the other 3 tires are like new. I don't remember but all the tires should be within a certain diamater or else you will cause yourself more grief when the drive train starts to fail.

Jim

Look at it this way, A car payment today is in the 400.00 range and your repairs will be near one payment. Not a bad investment. I'd rather put the money in and have the payment stop than to have five years of slavery.

By the way, I have a set of rear rotors if you want them. If they are actually going to replace the rear shoes and rotors and pads for 140.00 you are very lucky. Last time I looked up the e-brake shoes the kit was 300.00. That didn't include the rotor. I also have a set of rear pads in good shape.

Let me know if you have an interest.

I failed the PA State Inspection today here is the list. It cost me 31 bucks to fail and I have 2 weeks to fix it all or I get charged again. Just venting. My 98 OBW has 190K

1) Need new back brakes (70 bucks with rotors)

2) Need new parking brake shoes and adjustment (70 bucks)

3) Front left Wheel bearing (100 bucks)

4) Front left tire (ordered, 71 bucks)

5) Need duplicate vehicle regestration, because I lost mine (7.50)

The parking brake is what gets me. Are they serious?? I've never seen a set of e-brake shoes worn to the point of needing replacement. Just an adjustment should be fine.

Can you do this work yourself? Or do they make you go to a shop?

Pennsylvania seems to be one of the worst states for all this inspection crap. I think it's criminal that they salt the roads to destroy you're car, then force you to go through inspection.

In california, especially San Francisco, your parking brake must work. It makes sens in PA since on a hill your supposed to use the parking brake with a manual or automatic. In SF you can a ticket for not using your parking brake. There may be other states that have it as a requirement.

Most the time just using the parking brake will avoid it from getting rusty.

You may mock it untill your car gets hit by someone with a failed parking brake (I have).

nipper

The parking brake is what gets me. Are they serious?? I've never seen a set of e-brake shoes worn to the point of needing replacement.

Not a Subaru example, but when I did the brakes on my mother-in-law's Grand Cherokee, the e-brake shoes were shot - lining was completely absent. I was very surprised, but if you leave the parking brake engaged for long stretches of time, they could seize & wear down.

The more amazing thing is that they took off the rear rotors to check. If they didn't do this, just try adjusting the shoes and then the e-brake cables under the console as already suggested.

The more amazing thing is that they took off the rear rotors to check. If they didn't do this, just try adjusting the shoes and then the e-brake cables under the console as already suggested.

That was my thought. That's why I asked if you could do the work yourself.

I doubt they actually did take off the rotor. Just pulled and got nothing so they said "all new everything" for that system, the typical repair shop/liability/cover your rump roast line of thinking.

I am doing the work myself. There is no way they pulled the rotors off to check the shoes. They pulled the lever and got nothing.... Work starts tommorow on this car. My guess is 2 nights after work should do it. on my list of things to do all they wanted to do is replace the front tire. I am addressing the wheel bearing because it has been making anwefull noise for 20K miles and I sure is the cause of the inside of the wheel being bald

Adjust the brake before you get in there and replace. My wife's car had no e-brake, 10 minutes of adjusting and she's fine now. Easier and cheaper. If the rotor is bad, then you will have to pull it and then you can get an idea of the wear on the shoes.

It does not end. On the way to get it re-inspected I broke down. The Alternator seized up. Now that I am nearing 200K I am getting hit left and right. I forgot to mention that I also have a bad inner tie rod that was causing the inner ware on the front tire.