Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil in air box.

I have an 87 Gl Wagon that has oil in the air cleaner box. I recently did a tune up and replaced the PCV valve at that time. I figured I might have gotten a bad one and replaced it again. I am still getting oil in the air box and am considering going with an open breather and plugging the PCV hole in the intake. I would run a turbo catch can to try and keep things a little cleaner.

My questions to everyone out there that is smarter than I am is would this work. I live in a state that does not have vehicle inspections so I have no issue with that.

There are 2 breather hoses one going to each side of the crank case..One or both may be clogged...I had the same problem years ago with my 88 GL wagon ..simple cheap fix..Once replaced..no more problem...and mine was bad enough that when you turned left at speeds the oil would get into the SPFI and...smoke cloud stall!!

Yes, you can plug the PCV valve and run "dirty". It was always done like that in the 50's and 60's on chevy's and fords. All that the PCV system does is take crankcase pressure and put it back into the Intake to be burnned off again, and again, and again.............. All thats going to happen is that you'll have some residue build up around the crankcase relief ports. Probably run a line from there and turn down under the car somewhere and just let it drip from there. Only hurting the enviornment, if you believe in that.

I run mine without any emmissions, EGR, PCV, hoses, vac lines etc. I've got more power since I've stripped it also. More Flow = More HP.