Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Are These Interchangeable?? Drums

I am just wondering..are the rear drums for...say a FWD EA82 compatable with the rear drums for say..an EA81 FWD?? Little coupey may need brakes and I still have these brand new EA82 drums here..This is until I find the donor for a rear disk swap. I am wondering if these will work or not...thanks a million!!

As far as I know, they are not.

Front wheel drive cars use a rear drum set up for a conventional tapered roller wheel bearing, inner, and outer, that ride on a axle spindle (like a trailer, or front of a rear wheel drive car).

A rear 4 wheel drive drum incorporates the hub that is internally splined to slip on the outer end of the half shaft, and be driven.

Thanks guys..I should have looked them up first...seems the EA81 FWD rear drums have a diameter of 8.32" and the EA82 FWD rear drums have a diameter of 9.07"

Guess I wouldnt be that lucky huh?:-\:)

If the bearing are the same, You could swap the whole EA82 backing plate. I know you have them. Then you'd be able to use shoes and drums from 85-94 GL/DL/Loyale. Plus it would be a teeny-tiny performance gain.

Master cylinders must be matched for displacement to the 4 caliper/wheel cylinders. So Just make sure the Wheel cylinders aren't signifigantly larger, or the master cylinder will not be able to move enough fluid for them.

I dont have the complete EA82 set up anymore...chucked that all when I swapped Bucky to rear disk...but I have brand new..still in plastic EA82 drums That need a home..I doubt the coupe needs drums..juat some new pads and shoes..But I thought if I could use them I would.