Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Valve Tap?...Please God No.....

ok.....got home from school today and parked my car.....came out about 1.5 hours later and i get this tapping noise......it almost sounds like extremely loud fuel injectors.......i can rev it a little and it just gets more frequent....i have a 96 legacy L with a 2.2...........PLEASE if anyone has any information about this let me know......things to test? whatever info you have i will take!.....thanks in advance for your time and help.....oh, car is about to turn to 190,000......i love subies my dear lord its been one thing after another for this car........is it safe to drive?..........it doesnt sound at all like a knock more like a constant clicking.....it doesnt seem to go away when warm...i let it idle and waited till the temp gauge on the dash was about half way up and it was still there......i was reading a post a while ago about were someone said you could try cleaning the rocker shafts because there was like a blocked oil passage for the lifter....does anyone know if this is true?......

would this be ye old tick o' death?

If it is, from what I understand "tick of death" is somewhat of a misnomer as it just requires a priming of the hydraulic lifters or at worst replacement of the lifters.

but that's from reading post after post, so I could very well have my facts wrong.

ok just took it for a little drive and i got home and lifted the hood and the ticking is gone.....i didnt beat the snot out of the car but i did give it a little gas here and there...had it up to about 70 mph.....but now the engine is quiet and smooth again.....could a hydraulic lash adjuster could have stuck for a moment?.....my oil was overfilled a few days ago by a little bit.....but i have done alot of driving and have a few small oil leaks and is now back down to the normal level........this is like way out there but could have my problem been......overfilled oil- oil got airated and deprived lifter for a short time (may got a little air in there)-than oil level went back down to normal level and lifter unstuck? no idea if this is even possible.....

Yeah, like he said. If the oil has been changed regularly for the life of the engine you could try a flush at the next oil change. If your not sure about the oil changes then don't do the flush, sometimes you'll end up worse off then when you started. The flush takes away years of built up sludge that insolates normal engine wear noises. After the flush volia noisey engine! If the motor has had regular oil changes with good detergent oil then you don't get that build up. Even if you had to replace a lifter it's not a big deal. There's enough info and knowledgable helpful people on this site to walk you thru it. Don't worry the 2.2 is as close to bulletproof as you can get.:banana:

Yes sounds like maybe just a lifter losing prime. Some people have reported that running some MMO (marvel mystery oil) has helped with this issue. Otherwise if it starts doing it more often you'd have to pull the valve covers and figure out which lifter(s) are bad....

My Legacy did this once, it was just a stuck lifter. It did it for about 15 minutes then went away.

Yea stuck lifter exactly.

Had this on a VW and used a bardahl product to loosen it.

Looked like a varsol and graphite mixture to me.

I would run it for at least 1/2 hour then change the oil hot.

Maybe repeat after say another 1000 miles.

Short drives + winter = lots of particles floating around in the oil.

Needs a few long drives and clean oil.

yeah it has never happened before as far as i know....i will pick up some marvels mystery oil tomarrow and dump her in the filler neck.....i have around 2000 miles to go till an oil change so im sure over that period it should help things out..........man when i heard that noise i just thought to myself OH GOD NO! i just put another transmission in it like 3 or 4 days ago......you know i bought that car for about 750$ and ive put close to $4000 in parts in it over the past 15 months (not including the $1500 sound system)....thanks to all for your suggestions though......glad it wasnt something more severe......:)

.i was reading a post a while ago about were someone said you could try cleaning the rocker shafts because there was like a blocked oil passage for the lifter....does anyone know if this is true?......

That is a really good idea actually. Actually removing the HLA and cleaning the passages behind them is good.

I often find tiny, tiny, pieces of debris stuck in there, which eventually blocks the pinhole that supplies each HLA with oil.

yeah it seemed like a smart idea....i just bought some MMO and i havent heard the noise in around 75 miles so hopefully its gone for good...:headbang: ....but if i ever have to deal with it again i just might give cleaning the rocker shafts a try......